Looking into buying a 2003 Golf TDI - won't start after short over temp

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
I am looking into buying a nice 2003 Golf TDI - auto - with 237,000 miles - turns over but won't start - here is what the owner says

"temp started rising so I turned on heater and went down pretty quick I turned the heater off and then it went to red and cut off"

now I know there is a reason why it overheated - usually with diesel its is what - head gasket or what else might cause overheat with TDI - TDIs usually run very efficiently and cool compared to NAs and TDs -

So to find out what caused it to initially rise in temps will be critical to repair - also I was thinking that the ECU has a protection circuit that if motor reaches a certain temp it shuts it down - now how could I reset this? I do have VAG-COM but to read faults if I am not mistaken the motor has to be running first before it will boot program - so is there a way to reset or bypass temp protection circuit and allow eng to run to possibly look at recorded faults?

Any suggestions as far as to what to check and how to go about troubleshooting? Thanks

Last edited:

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
The ECU doesn't care how high the temp goes, and you can read codes all you want without the engine running as long as the ECU has power.

Doesn't really matter though, as it's an automatic and realistically not worth much due to that fact. Unless you get it for next to nothing and plan on doing a 5spd swap along with diagnosing the overheating issue.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Scan for codes.

Pop inspection cover off of TB and look for signs of problems: perhaps water pump has failed.

If you are very lucky you could have a crapped out coolant temperature sensor: reported temps were bogus, actual engine temps were fine.

Approach it like a blown engine. If the engine has significant issues then, as keaton85 notes, the car is not likely worth much (look to part it out).

Diver1430

TDI
92 jetta, 2004 jetta pd, 2003 jetta
Do a pressure test on cooling system. Over the years I ve had two blown head gaskets from overheating.

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
Using foot actuated clutch irritates nerves going through my lower back - sacrum area so - thought about hooking up motorcycle hydraulic hand actuated lever to hydraulic Mk4 clutch system on top of shifter to be able to keep standard Golf that I have!

Last edited:

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Great idea! If you need an automatic, look for a different vehicle as these are time bombs, atleast the ALHs are. Just not worth putting money into an ALH with an automatic tranny.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Using foot actuated clutch irritates nerves going through my lower sacrum - thought about hooking up motorcycle hydraulic hand actuated lever to hydraulic Mk4 clutch system on top of shifter to be able to keep standard Golf that I have!
I sent you a PM

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Again, why bother when its an automatic?
Some people can't drive automatic for various reasons. After I had a seizure, I wasn't allowed to drive for a few months, when I got my license back, I wasn't able to shift my WRX manual, my leg was buggered up. I sold it and bought a JDM forester auto, yes it was boring and I missed driving standard.

Almost 2 years later, therapy, acupuncture etc I'm able to drive standard again which is awesome, and will probably sell my Forester.

I get tired of people like you crapping on people with autos. At the end of the day it's a mode of transportation, get over it.

To the OP, sounds like a great car.

Last edited: