B4 No start

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
have to buy a long bit first to fit the glowplugs. But it turns over now :) Won't be long now!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
So it did run, but the pump was out of spec. I tried tilting it and suddenly it didn't start anymore. Since it was an old pump, I replaced it with a rebuilt example.
So tried to start, still no joy. It cranks but won't start. I get a glow light, so 109 relay is ok. Pump sucks fuel because i see a small bubble returning to the filter after i stop crancking. Read it out, and got a fault 01268 quantity adjuster n146 upper limit, but cleared it and doesn't come back. Probably a fault stored from the old pump. Slowly running out of ideas!
It ran, fiddled with the pump, suddenly no start. New pump, still nothing :(Do you have to "center" a new pump or do anything else besides just installing it? It's not coded to the VIN is it?

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
To be clear what I did before it died:The pump leaked, so I replaced both gaskets. It ran fine afterwards, but when I hooked it up to the laptop, the timing that should be between the lines in the graph, was way out. Also, as soon as I selected the "switch to basic settings" button it would start running REALLY rough. Like almost dying. I tried tilting it front and back, couldn't get it right. So I tilted the pump as far to the front of the car as possible, to go back in steps. As soon as I had tilted it to the very front, it wouldn't start anymore. Tried tilting it back, in the middle, nothing.
Since it was an old pump (360000KM) I just replaced it with a overhauled one to get everything back into spec. But alas, still no start.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
And I checked, shaft, pump, and flywheel marks are alligned, so timing should be OK

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
With a new pump are you sure you've got it bled fully? Getting fuel at the injectors with the nuts loose?

If yes then try advancing the pump. Move the top of the pump toward the engine.

Maybe try retarding it if that doesn't work.

On my AHU I have to run the pump one tooth advanced from the pinned position. Maybe because I'm lazy and get too much slack between the pump and crank.

If you do want to advance the pump a tooth you move the sprocket CW in relation to the belt and crank.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I've cranked it so much I would be surprised if it isn't bled yet :p haven't tried tilting the new pump yet.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
It was full of diesel when I removed the plugs. Doesn't the little air that remains bleed out on itself after a few cranks? I've cranked way more the when I installed a new fuel filter in the past.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
When you removed what plugs?

If the pump isn’t primed, it may not be able to build enough pressure to bleed the lines. That’s why vacuum bleeding was mentioned.

When you swapped a filter, everything was likely already primed.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
All lines on the rebuilt pump were plugged with yellow plastic plugs. It was full of fuel inside as far as I could see. I'll check if there is fuel exiting the lines to the injectors, but I don't think that's the problem.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
I usually leave the injector lines loose on the injectors to make sure it has fuel there while cranking the engine over, also worth having a hand primer between the filter and the pump and having a helper pump the primer while cranking.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Shoved it as far back to the firewall as possible and it started after a few tries. Finally! Going to let a shop do the fine tuning.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Glad to hear that. Probably a relief to you.

It's now as advanced as it can be. If timing was the problem and it still needs to be advanced more you'll have to advance the sprocket relative to the belt. In this case move the sprocket CW.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Very relieved indeed! I drove it to a shop today. Did have to try 4/5 times before it fired. Didn't go above 50KM/H and drove really carefully. It smoked a lot in the beginning(white), but it got better after a few minutes. Was glad I arrived safely! I'll let them sort it out. Hopefully next week it's perfect! :) But happy since this was my first ride in over 5 years!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Shop got the pump adjusted and it starts first try now. Yes! :D Now just a few issues left. It smells quite a bit and it takes a long time to get up to temperature. Probably thermostat?