What VCDS ?

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Anyone have or know of a hex-can f/s?? Looking to buy

Or if I order one online not from Ross tech does it work properly and show the entire vcds interface?? (not vcds lite) and if I can do that is there any certain specs I need to look for in the cables?

Tom

Last edited:

98TeeDeeEye

TDI
98 Jetta
Is the kII the cheapest option to check timing on an AHU 98 Jetta after changing the timing belt? It appears the lite version doesn't do timing...

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
The full version of VCDS-Lite does come with the TDI Timing Checker:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html

But with VCDS-Lite, the software will be locked down to a single computer, and we (Ross-Tech) do not offer start up support for 3rd party devices.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCDSLiteReg.html

With the KII-USB, you use the newer VCDS software, version 16.8.0 at this time. We (Ross-Test) do offer start up support to make sure our customers are able to communicate with the vehicles. Also, the VCDS software is not locked down to a single computer.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

Thank you.

98TeeDeeEye

TDI
98 Jetta
The full version of VCDS-Lite does come with the TDI Timing Checker:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/TDIGraph.html

But with VCDS-Lite, the software will be locked down to a single computer, and we (Ross-Tech) do not offer start up support for 3rd party devices.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCDSLiteReg.html

With the KII-USB, you use the newer VCDS software, version 16.8.0 at this time. We (Ross-Test) do offer start up support to make sure our customers are able to communicate with the vehicles. Also, the VCDS software is not locked down to a single computer.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

Thank you.
Thanks! I'll be ordering the KII later tonight!

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
Advise..
I currently am using VCDS 15.7.4 and can see current version is 16.8.3.

Is there any reason I should not update?
Do not want to update and have a problem and find out I cannot downgrade.

I currently use USB Hexcan to work on the 2 VWs in my house.

Powered up my VCDS laptop to check some things on my sons 2001 VR6 and can see the new versions.

Looking for opinions from others on what version I should use.

Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
With any software, you pretty much need to update whenever possible. It is smart to do research for issues, but simply staying with an older, more stable version can cause other issues over time.
Exceptions to this include using pirated hardware, legacy OSs, legacy hardware.
Ignore updates if you must.
Never had an issue with Ross-Tech updates.

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
All of my software and cords have come direct from Ross Tech. No pirate issues here.

I will update the software and see how it goes.

Thanks, Jeff

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Is the only difference between HEX NET and HEX V2 the ability of NET to connect via wifi/cloud/hotspot/etc... Are there any differences in the software itself and the models of cars that they will work on?

My life is pretty simple.. 03 jetta tdi and 03 jetta wagon tdi...

I just remember the last time i looked at this there was a different tool for different year models.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Also, from looking through the site I'm assuming the only way I can use this on a mac would be through the mobile vcds on the hex-net?

Thanks!

jef@rosstech

TDI
Is the only difference between HEX NET and HEX V2 the ability of NET to connect via wifi/cloud/hotspot/etc... Are there any differences in the software itself and the models of cars that they will work on?

My life is pretty simple.. 03 jetta tdi and 03 jetta wagon tdi...

I just remember the last time i looked at this there was a different tool for different year models.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Also, from looking through the site I'm assuming the only way I can use this on a mac would be through the mobile vcds on the hex-net?

Thanks!
You have the right idea. The HEX-NET can be used as a wireless device and there is also a professional version (unlimited VINs). The HEX-V2 is geared towards the enthusist market, people who are only working on their own car, so there is a VIN limit, 3 or 10 VINs.

From a diagnostic point of view, they are the same... same control modules, same basic settings, same measuring blocks, same fault codes. The HEX-V2 will be a great low cost option for your 2003 Jetta, or a 2017 Golf R if you get one of those next week.... do it! You'll love it.

The VCDS software is for Windows only, Win7 and newer. I use a cheap netbook type computer by Asus, this is a newer version of what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-...05749&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+transformer+4+gigs

Note that the HEX-NET does come with a second software package called VCDS-Mobile and that will work on a Mac branded computer. But VCDS-Mobile is not a replacement for VCDS. It has been my observation that a few people have gotten the HEX-NET with the intent on using only VCDS-Mobile, only to end up using VCDS on a Windows laptop.

If you have any additional questions, give us a call:
http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.php

Regards.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Thanks so much Jef. I'm getting a second tdi so this is going to come in handy. Been wanting one for years and now have the means. Christmas in May/June!! woo

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Ok so I have picked up my First MK VII and was trying to look at the measuring blocks with my HEX CAN USB that I have had since 2009 ish. how do I get Measuring blocks so I can Log data on my 2015 GSW TDI like I have been able to do on every VW since I have gotten this cable?

I thought it might even be my slightly older version of VCDS, but went to MOGolf and his VCDS setup was doing the same thing and only allowing us to search through a huge HUGE list of measuring areas one at a time.. nothing at all like group 1, group 3, group 11 for the basics like IQ, MAF, Boost etc I am used to.

I certainly hope we are not stuck having to search through this long list every time to find what we want to log...

if there is something new I need to read on your site that will help, please send a link, I am happy to do so.

Thanks!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ok, so after reading through those two links, I see that I have to get used to the new format for my 2015 GSW, I was afraid of that.

I will need to spend the time to find the values I want to get logs of and save a file to pull up whenever I want to log those.

Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate everything you guys have done for us crazy VW lovers!

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I will be getting VCDS. I had (until I accidentally threw away the interface connector last week) an old beta version of VAG-COM that Uwe Ross sent me to play with. Circa 1999 or 2000 I believe. It worked like a charm.

-mickey

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I will be getting VCDS. I had (until I accidentally threw away the interface connector last week) an old beta version of VAG-COM that Uwe Ross sent me to play with. Circa 1999 or 2000 I believe. It worked like a charm.

-mickey
Even if you still had that old interface (and Vag-Com), it would not work with your new car. All new cars (since about 2006) are CAN bus while your old Vag-Com interface was only K-Line. All new Ross-Tech interfaces support CAN bus cars. If you are looking to get a used R-T interface you will need a Micro-CAN or a HEX+CAN cable. Other interfaces are K-Line and only for 2005 and older VWs.

Have Fun!

Don

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I might be a little late to the game re OBD scanners. Just ordered a generic WiFi OBD II scanner from Amazon.

I really want it for reading DTC's and maybe a few other things. I don't intend to DYI the fuel filter or do much other DIY work. Just bought my teenage son an old car, so it might come in handy there too.

So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi.

Keep in mind: I'm giving my Jetta back to VW next year via the BB and I'm not 100% sure what I'm replacing it with. Second, my son has a non-VW car and I want the scanner for his car probably even more than mine.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.................So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi. ................
No need to buy one if you don't need it.
The VCDS (vag-com) is reverse engineered from the VAG tool. It is the only device (other than the VAG one) that will communicate with all the modules and read all the correct codes. That being said many folks get by with other devices with varying levels of success.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I might be a little late to the game re OBD scanners. Just ordered a generic WiFi OBD II scanner from Amazon.

I really want it for reading DTC's and maybe a few other things. I don't intend to DYI the fuel filter or do much other DIY work. Just bought my teenage son an old car, so it might come in handy there too.

So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi.

Keep in mind: I'm giving my Jetta back to VW next year via the BB and I'm not 100% sure what I'm replacing it with. Second, my son has a non-VW car and I want the scanner for his car probably even more than mine.
VCDS will access all modules on the car, unlike generic OBD-II, which is emission-centric, and only covers a very small subset of what is on a car. VCDS also allows sending commands to start tests, as well as the ability to code/configure modules and perform adaptations, none of which is supported by an OBD device at all. If all you need is to read generic OBD-II codes, then a cheapie will do the trick. If you actually plan to do any real work, then VCDS would be a far better choice.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
VCDS will access all modules on the car, unlike OBD-II, which is emission-centric, and only covers a very small subset of whatbis on a car. VCDS also allows sending commands to start tests, as well as the ability to code/configure modules and perform adaptations, none of which is supported by an OBD device at all. If all you need is to read generic OBD-II codes, then a cheapie will do the trick. If you actually planto do any real work, then VCDS would be a far better choice.
Thank you. That sums it up I guess.

MikeyC66

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
I would like to get a reader for my '06 Jetta wagon but I don't have a laptop I could use with the VCDS dongle, plus I live in an apartment so even an extension cable to my PC is out of the question. Is there a way to store the data on a USB stick so I could use it on a PC elsewhere? I looked on the Ross Tech site and couldn't see any info other than their VCDS Mobile which is pricey. Are their any other products available that would work for me, i.e: an OBDII reader, etc. I am not very knowledgeable with auto repair, I am just looking for a way to check what the potential issue is before I bring it to a mechanic. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope. OBD/VAG is an interactive protocol, not just a passive data dump. It doesn't need much of a computer, so if you can get an old laptop for cheap, it should be enough.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
What VCDS program system do i really need?

ok, so i have read alot of these posts, not all as i wasn't finding what i was looking for after a few pages. i looked on ross's site about the different levels of the vcds programs. a bit confused as to what i will need for what i'll be doing. i look at the prices and then features and they seem about the same to me.
WHAT I'LL BE DOING...2006 jetta tdi with brm engine and auto trans.dsg
I need to run certain tests such as kicking the cooling fans on or checking the solenoid in the ac compressor or resetting an airbag light. could be more if another problem comes up. at the moment i don't know anyone with the scan system and sure as hell not driving an hour and get over charged by the dealer. my ac stopped working a couple weeks ago and think i have it narrowed down to the fan module or the compressor solenoid and or both. got both parts ordered and will be here tuesday. i have used the cheap scaners for years such as from napa or harborfrieght just to read codes on different cars. my jetta goes into limp a couple times in the winter and the codes that came up were the throttle position pedal and something else to that affect. i reset the system and pretty much comes out of it. something seems to get wet to me. ...So those are the things i deal with . what cheap ross sytem will do all this stuff and what windows operating do i have to have. i seen someone mention they were going to use a cheap netbook....an elcheapo netbook is all i need?, thanks in advance, this programming system is going to be way new for me as it can't be compaired to a store bought scan tool.....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
HEX-V2 with limited # of vehicles at $200 seems the best choice.
Ross site says Windows 7 or higher, but I might call them on that if you have XP.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
vista on this dell studio. kinda old so figured a cheap notebook laptop would be the answer. i'll have to check out the hex-v2.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
Ross site says Windows 7 or higher, but I might call them on that if you have XP.
checked it out on ross's page but didn't find any specs it would do.. trying to call them and seems the number is always busy.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
VCDS v.1.5.7 works fine on my old XP-Pro netbook.
It is the only thing I use this netbook for.

jef@rosstech

TDI
Sales of Windows XP licenses to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) ceased on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

As best I know, our developer is not putting in effort to ensure VCDS will work on outdated computers.... if it works on some one's XP machine, great. If it doesn't work... well... it is an old computer. XP machines can be upwards of 16 years old to the day as of this post. :eek:

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
yea i discussed this with the gf and when i got thru, don't remember the guys name i talked to, got all the info i needed and such. guys are very helpful there at ROSS-TECH...Thanks

RunTheRace

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ALH Engine
All I'm seeing is references to Ross-Tech. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with www.totalcardiagnostics.com/vagcom‎ --- this is a $100 unit. Also, will these work with my Apple MacBook Pro?

I've got an electrical issue that needs to be narrowed down.