Radio Upgrade

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Why the @#!*%$ can't I find a double din aftermarket install kit for the 2004 Jetta.
I'm trying to pull the Monsoon HU and install a double din JVC cd/i-pod/satellite/mp3 capable head unit. I seem to find plenty for the 2006 and newer by nothing for my year.

Any help appreciated.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Are you looking strictly for the wiring, or needing the face kit and all? I'm no pro, but I've got some ideas.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Here's the best link that I found:
http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=5709
If you're looking for the face to be lined up, You might be able to find a piece of plastic matching the dash and then size accordingly.
I would recommend emailing JVC directly and see what they have available. However, if I were in your shoes, I would seriously look at one of the retractable face players. these attract a lot less attention that the double DIN units when parked on the street.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Installer.com only sells the single din kits with pocket conversion. Wiring is not the issue, there are many wiring kits out there. The issue is how do I securely mount this new box into the hole. Unlike my Dodge truck or wife's Corolla, the radio's mounting surround does not screw into the hole. The OEM radio simply clips directly into a custom molded hole, very cool and streamlined, but a pain in the butt to change to something not stock.

Has anyone seen a true aftermarket double din install kit that fits this hole? That's the basic question.

Thanks

mxcale

TDI
03 JETTA WAGON
thank GOD i'm not the only one going through this crap!!!!!! i was startin to think i was the only one tryin to put a after market double din in and hadnt found any installation kits at all. i'v been lookin like crazy! theres sum people on the vortex tryin to help me along with a few pricks but no answers yet. i'l try to keep u posted on my findings and u do the same

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
If you have a Circuit City in your area, try the install kits they use in house, not the ones they sell in the store. My local store had a computer in the corner of the car stereo dept. so you could figure how much to buy & install on site, and when I noticed the part #'s were different for the install kits than what was displayed I asked why. If I did it anyone else can.

mxcale

TDI
03 JETTA WAGON
i'm on it!!!!!!!! i'm workin just down the road from one today and i'l go by there on the way home and report back!