New Battery - cooling fans wont shut down

Tnsee894

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Prem
Battery died. Jumped it off to get home. Fans ran after shutting it down. Replaced the battery. Fans started almost immediately. Drove it 30 miles and topped off the tank, as soon as I shut down the engine, the fans come on within 30 seconds and wont shut down. Did I fry a sensor when I jumped it off? Any ideas???

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I'm interested in knowing what codes are set. I recommend a VCDS scan, save output and clear. Then take a short drive and scan again (to weed-out residual codes from the dead battery), assuming fans still running after shutdown.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
note that i am a newbie and not exactly what one would call a car guy. that being said, my father had this problem on his 2006 gasser passat last summer in hot and humid memphis. the similarities are far from eerie here, so keep this in mind and verify my information with someone more knowledgeable before going this direction. anyway, i get a call that my dad had gone back into the garage hours after shutting down and he said "the fans are still running could you check that website you read". i say sure but first try to start the car and let it run for a few minutes, hoping it was just some gremlin, this did not work. okay, i will begin the search, tell him to take it for a drive for twenty or thirty minutes. he calls again and says still a no-go on the fans shutting off. i tell him to disconnect the battery and wait for word. unfortunately, for you, i do not use the search function here much and could not find the relevant thread. i found a thread where the problem was some connection/sensor under the battery tray (i believe it was red, but this was eight months ago and i did not get to see it with my own eyes) i am just going on memory here. he had that replaced and all is well since. i will call tonight when i get back from work and see if he can pull the work order for more precise info. remember this was in the summer on a gasser but there is a thread here with the needed recommendations if this is the same problem. good luck finding it.

ciao,
waltz

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
myavo--- i have not seen that thread, the one i was referencing was much older(a few years i believe) but it may help the op.

tnsee---first off i just reread my first post and want to apologize for the wording i used, "unfortunately, for you", i did not mean for this to come off as insensitive or harsh in any way. i was just trying to convey that the thread was difficult, for me, to locate the first time around and i did not believe that i would be able to find it easily again.
i just spoke with my father and he confirmed what i believed to be his problem, the fan control module(fcm). you may want to disregard the reference to it being red as i am not sure. he said they replace to fans because of an updated/upgraded design. he was under warranty so that may have just been the dealer acting for their own benefit. anyway, from what i recall, a member here had the same problem and only replaced the fcm. keep in mind that tdiclub is a far more legitimate source of info. than either my father or a dealership imho. the part numbers which were replaced-- vwn: 1ko959455dl and 1ko959455et. i am not sure if the third character is a zero or letter O, so you will have to figure that out independently. if you could check a bentley or have that done for you to verify that the part numbers are the same that would be the way to go.
please note again i do not own a tdi nor a vw, i am not a mechanic, i did not stay at a holiday inn express last night; all that being said i am trying to be helpful. please verify with someone more in the know than myself before acting on any advice i offer as it may or may not be helpful or in your cars best interest. it sounded like an easy fix from the thread i read. i will try to find it but it could be a few days. best of luck.

ciao,
waltz

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i have tried to find the old thread about this but have been unsuccessful, sorry. hope you already got his taken care of, if not good luck. member DanG144 seems to be a bit of an expert on these things, though i am pretty sure that he was not the one whose problem i read about hopefully he will have a look here and can point you in the right direction.

ciao,
waltz

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I had that problem when my ECU was "acting up". A new EDC17 solved the issue. But since an '05 doesn't have an EDC17, that's probably not your issue.

Tnnsee849 said:
Battery died. Jumped it off to get home. Fans ran after shutting it down. Replaced the battery. Fans started almost immediately. Drove it 30 miles and topped off the tank, as soon as I shut down the engine, the fans come on within 30 seconds and wont shut down. Did I fry a sensor when I jumped it off? Any ideas???
Have you made any progess? Had the car scanned? If the fans are still running when the key is off, pull the fuse/relay for the fans until you get the issue resovled. Plug it back in before driving next time.