Is It OK to do this in an oil change????

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
What makes/models would this apply to, or is it all diesel engines? Also does this cause any problems in the newer 2012 and up TDI's?
I am sure if you google it you will be happier with the over all answer. I am not a maintenance database person, but only a consumer with "skin in the game" for MY's: 03/09/12 TDI's. So no, I would have NO issues for ANY of those MY's (30,000 miles OCI's) and also a 14 MB GLK 250 BT with the MB 229.51 specification 5w40.

As mentioned before, VW A shortens OCI's for economic purposes and probably the fact that a lot to most US market drivers like to ignore their cars. There are a lot of INFORMED VW owners that would not even think of exceeding 5,000 miles OCI's, let alone going OVER 10,000 miles OCI's.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As mentioned before, VW A shortens OCI's for economic purposes and probably the fact that a lot to most US market drivers like to ignore their cars. There are a lot of INFORMED VW owners that would not even think of exceeding 5,000 miles OCI's, let alone going OVER 10,000 miles OCI's.
Don't you mean miss-informed VW owners? A 5K mile OCI on a TDI is a complete waste of money. This is not the 1970's. The VW recommended 10K mile OCI is actually conservative with today's oils.

In Europe, oil is monitored by an oil monitoring system and changed on condition rather than miles. 15K to 20K miles between changes is the norm and does no harm to the engine.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What makes/models would this apply to, or is it all diesel engines? Also does this cause any problems in the newer 2012 and up TDI's?
Read your owners manual maintenance schedule and follow it, period. The 10K mile OCI has been around since at least the A4 TDI's and applies to the newest TDI's.

The 3K or 5K mile OCI myth is left over from the 1960's and 1970's when oils were a lot different. Back then tune-ups were done at 10K miles and cars rarely lasted to 100K miles.

Seriously, don't throw money away by changing oil more often than is actually required. Anyone that tells you that changing oil more often then the manufacturers recommendation is "good insurance" does not have a clue.............

Last edited:

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
A guy at work has a Mercury Marauder, he was using Mobil 1 5w30 and changing at 2500 miles, "Oil is cheap insurance!" I asked if I could have his old oil. When he asked why I told him I was going to put it in my truck. Told him I'd help him do his oil changes if he let me have the oil. I was going to stockpile the stuff, buy a drum and run all my equipment on his old oil.
He got really weird about it. Now he goes to Mercury's 7500 mile suggested change and recycles the oil immediately, won't let me anywhere near his car.

Weirdo...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My philosophy: If it's under warranty, follow the book. Once out of warranty I can fudge a little on mileage one way or the other. At a recommended 10,000 mile oil change interval, it's not that difficult or expensive to keep up with. Most of my gasser, I'll run between 5000 and 7500 miles on the oil changes. that just depends on when I feel like doing them.

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
+1 to every post saying a flush is a waste of time and money and new oil turns black as soon as the engine turns over

Dragracerzzz

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM 300K Mi. Malone Stage 1.5 tune and haulin the mail! (Courtesy of WIDiesel Service) Thanks Kevin
Ive known people to pour two quarts of ATF in the engine to flush it about 10-15 miles before a LOF since ATF is a form of high detergent oil. Just a thought....
DRZ

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That is so 60's. I remember hearing stories about folks putting sawdust in their tranny's and using leather for worn main bearings just so they could sell their car.

Dragracerzzz

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM 300K Mi. Malone Stage 1.5 tune and haulin the mail! (Courtesy of WIDiesel Service) Thanks Kevin
Sawdust in the tranny? What is this? An Andy Griffith rerun? Have Gomer come take a look at er? I never heard the leather for main bearings one though. Genious. I got a 47 Chevy I need to flip.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sure. the sawdust would quit gear whine until you could sell the car. The tranny fluid in the crankcase (another Mayberry fix) was when cars ran non detergent oil and the internals got really gunked up.

The thought was that the T/F would help clean the nasty goo out of the engine, but usually what happened was the T/F would cause chunks of gunk to break loose and cause oil galleries to get plugged and kill the engine.

Last edited:

Dragracerzzz

TDI
Ahhhhhh.......... Mayberry. :)
If I only knew then what I know now...........

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
You should do what I do every 50,000 miles.

3 parts water to 1 part bleach and 1 part dish detergent. Just put it down the filler, drive for about 200 miles - preferably on hills and on curves - it sloshes everything around and gets the solution in all the nooks and crannies - drain and fill with your favorite lube. Keeps the engine as shiny as new! Guaranteed!
I read on Facebook that you should use distilled water so it doesn't leave deposits inside the engine.

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
That is so 60's. I remember hearing stories about folks putting sawdust in their tranny's and using leather for worn main bearings just so they could sell their car.
My grandfather told me about a mechanic in town that would put bacon strips in worn main bearings to sell a car. Said the car would run like new for a couple hours.

Dragracerzzz

TDI
cleaning our engines!!

ooh! I will have to try that - although I've been thinking of squirting a little Jet-Dry in there to keep spots from showing on the cylinder walls.
Just cut open a Cascade Dishwasher Pod and empty it into the 710 cap and drive your way to a cleaner engine! :D

~DRZ~~~~~

Last edited:

Dragracerzzz

TDI
nummer nummer nummer ITS BACON!!!!!!

My grandfather told me about a mechanic in town that would put bacon strips in worn main bearings to sell a car. Said the car would run like new for a couple hours.
Cooked bacon or uncooked? Can you use the microwaveable stuff?
And most important, "Do you get to smell bacon while driving?!?!?!"
~DRZ~:cool:

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
This is all very funny. . . But is 101 the right forum for Richard Cranium?