corrado slc to tdi

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
95 indian red wagon (glx swapped), 97 classic green wagon (Glx swapped)..SOLD
ive been reading a bit on here and fig I would try to throw a page together so I could get some questions answered as they arise.

the car: 92 corrado slc (vr6)
http://i57.tinypic.com/24g4ly1.jpg

the donors:
96 Passat tdi
98 jetta tdi
http://i58.tinypic.com/15otds9.jpg

just got the cars now and about to rip into them/part them out this weekend...
I plan on using the jetta tdi motor (130k)
and the Passat harness and ecu

-what exhaust should I use as the corrado doesn't have one until I can shell out a corrado specific exhaust?

-should I have any issues with the Passat harness on the jetta motor?

-what should I do about the diesel pick up.. ive sceen mk4/g60/and custom setups.. can I use the jetta or Passat pickup in the corrado tank?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
So you picked up a caged VRT corrado and you are converting it to a TDI?

Passat harnesses are nice because the body and engine harness are separate. You can use the gas pickup, but the pressure needs to regulated down to 8psi or so.

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
kinda like that...:cool:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I am a crazy TDI guy and I'm not sure I could do that. My brother has an SLC corrado.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
When my B4 TDI got totalled, I considered a Corrado TDI swap. It ended up with a VR in the Corrado though and i'm very happy with it. B4 got fixed! You can send the turbo stuff my way though!! :D

You will have no problem fitting the passat harness to the jetta motor. Likely the same motor. Even if not, 1z vs ahu wiring is the same. As Nash suggested, the Passat harness is nice as the engine harness is separate from the body harness. Corrado is done the same, so it will just be a matter of pulling the old VR harness and dropping in the TDI harness.

You will end up with an extra vent/fuel line with the corrado tank. Will have to cap or put a filter on it. Also as Nash suggested, regulate the fuel pump for TDI pressures. Could also just remove it in place of a PD lift pump and be good to go, although the fuel sender is a bit different and would take some customization. Jetta or Passat fuel sender will not work, as the hole size in the tank is different. I put a PD lift pump in my B4, and it took replacing my whole tank in order for the pump to just drop in.

Will keep my eyes on this swap! ;)

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry if I'm a little out of the tdi loop.. but what is a PD pump??

The corrado has a long story.. but basically I bought it fairly stock.. built it up na vr, sold those parts did a low milage obd2 vr swap with a s/c set up (hated the belt slippage).. sold that for a turbo hit 400+ whp...sold the car 8 years ago.. the motor and everything was torn from it.. a friend from 3 states away bought it, fixed it up, lost intrest... so I'm buying my shell back :d it needs a new heart

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
PD is pumpe deuse which a type of Diesel fuel injection. They had a fancy in-tank fuel pump. The revised body Corrado's have a larger fuel tank which should give you more room to fit in fuel pick-up or pumps. An MK4 pick-up can be modified to work in the early smaller fuel tanks. The same may be true for B3 Passat or MK3 TDI pick-ups. You may as well just try it and not have to mess with the level sender chips.

Having both those TDI's will be a good benefit for the parts you need.

The 96 engine may have weaker pistons than the 98 engine. The 96 may also have a less desirable ECU if it has a black case. You can use the 98 ecu and the 96 harness.

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry im a little lost with your post so PD is a form of injection that some models had? or it was a make of car?
revised corrados you mean vr6's or revised interior meaning 93+ corrados?

mk4 pumps will fit in early corrados meaning g60's or early vr6's?

the 96 does have the black plastic case.. I was told I had to keep the ecu with the harness it came from.. so I can use the 98 jetta ecu with the 96 Passat harness, and the 98 jetta motor

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Looks like he just used the Passat pickup which isnt a pump at all. If you are doing the swap its definitely worth having a lift pump. Even if you don't plan on it being "highly" modified.

As for ECU's, you definitely want to use the 98 ecu. It doesnt have the silly 5th injector and it should be a socketed chipset as well.

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
so I could run the Passat pick up.. with a aftermarket online pump

or is there a better option for a 92 fuel tank?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You could run the SLC's fuel pump with a by-pass FPR like I did. My only concern is how long the FPR will hold up. So far the holley has held up well on my SLC TDI.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
You could run the SLC's fuel pump with a by-pass FPR like I did. My only concern is how long the FPR will hold up. So far the holley has held up well on my SLC TDI.
40k on my holley bypass fpr and it's still going strong ... i recently adjusted the pressure from 12 to 8 psi and it seems to run slightly smoother on acceleration

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect! ! I think that's my best bet!!! Ill add that to the parts to buy .. now onto the headach of wireing

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
This is the one I used http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803bp

The return(bypass) is required because the pressure is being knocked down so much, approx 80psi to 8psi. This fpr is what holley's tech line recommended.

A cheap alternative is to use a mk3 tdi fuel sender and just fill the tank tank up, it won't hit the bottom. Maybe you could extend it?

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks g60ing.. so corrado gas tank will stay the sane. (Other than porting the filler opening) then I can run jetta tdi lines to the front of the car (so it bypasses the gasser fuel filters) then install the fpr BEFORE the diesel filter? Then filter to the car... or should I use the gad lines and splice the holly fpr were the gas fuel filters are under the car?

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks g60ing.. so corrado gas tank will stay the sane. (Other than porting the filler opening) then I can run jetta tdi lines to the front of the car (so it bypasses the gasser fuel filters) then install the fpr BEFORE the diesel filter? Then filter to the car... or should I use the gad lines and splice the holly fpr were the gas fuel filters are under the car?
Second would be your best option. Means you dont have to run new fuel lines, but does mean your FPR would be less accessible under the car.

Car was originally a g60, correct? Was it already swapped to the single pump setup for a vr from the g60 2 pump?

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is a vr6 originally.. I have the tdi passat and jetta parts cars so the new lines I don't think would be a super big deal.. but at the same time the corrado fuel lines are brand new.. I doubt ill be toyying with the fuel pressure once I have it dialed in... so I guess it doesent matter really

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is a vr6 originally.. I have the tdi passat and jetta parts cars so the new lines I don't think would be a super big deal.. but at the same time the corrado fuel lines are brand new.. I doubt ill be toyying with the fuel pressure once I have it dialed in... so I guess it doesent matter really
My mistake, I thought I remembered reading that. You are correct, set it and forget it!

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
So that's in place.. ill order that tonight!!!
How about motor mounts. I use tdi mounts or do I use the vr6 mounts..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would use tdi mounts for a b4 or mk3 Tdi. Oem vr6 could also work, just don't use poly mounts.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Use the Jetta passenger side mount. It is hydraulic and an improvment over the Passat. The front mounts are the same so use the TDI one that is in the best condition.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've always used the mk3 hydraulic rear but always wondered if the passat's rubber one was better. Thanks for the input :)

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
ill have to pull them for sure then..
so jetta passanger side and rear... front one vr6/a3 jetta tdi/ b4 Passat tdi it doesent matter.. I thought that the front one id run into issues with clearance.
I thought I read somewhere the front one had to be redrilled or adjusted for the slc/vr6

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry to return to the fueling again.. I went to but it today.. just wanted to make sure im getting everything I need

do I need the 90 degree return.. or do I put a block plate there..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here was my SLC's setup:

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
so using the top pic... the 1st hose is from the gasser intank pump.. the line on the right is going to the front of the car to the filter/motor... the 90 degree line on the bottom is the return to the filler neck

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI