AHU swap into 93 Eurovan Weekender

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
but changing a 5th gear only is feasible, correct? looks like putting a .681 on a stock 5cylinder gasser trans will get you most of the way to the rpms of a tdi trans in 5th gear...

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Jimbote, isnt the CTN an 02A? I was contemplating swapping all the guts but after using that handy calculator I know see what factor the tire size plays in this and why the R&P for the Jetta is so low...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Jimbote, isnt the CTN an 02A? I was contemplating swapping all the guts but after using that handy calculator I know see what factor the tire size plays in this and why the R&P for the Jetta is so low...
yes that's correct however it shares the same ring gear diameter with a 02J ... the 02B that came in the EV is a different beast ... the gearsets may interchange but the ring gear is much larger in diameter than 02A/02J ... id be interested to know how low an rpm you can get @ hwy speed using just tire size and a fifth gear swap... EDIT... and i see the wonderful charts posted above :eek:

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Jimbote, Growler had some interesting ideas for gearing but I just posted the charts for what would be applicable for my current situation. Also, a little update, I just purchased all the conversion parts PLUS a rebuilt EWB so it looks like there will be a CTN and CHP floating around in the near future to play with....

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Finally made a little bit more time to tool around in the garage. The head is on its way to Frank for him to work his magic on. As far as the bottom end, I got it apart and checking everything now. It looks like I made the right decision by pulling everything; the number 1 piston rod bearings are pretty beat up and the rear main bearings are beat up. It was suggested to just check the number 1 main bearing and number 3 rod bearing; I'm glad I didn't just check those because I would have never found this. I don't think the engine would make another 50k on those bearings let alone the 200k I'm shooting for. Good news is all the crank journals looks good. I'm debating whether I'm going to drop it off at the machine shop or just do everything myself. If I'm going to be through and do everything the correct way, I should probably drop it off at the shop. So now I wait on parts and the head and decide to take to the machine shop or not.

Reason I want to hot tank:

Bottom end:

Does this mean anything or is this from the factory?

Is this bolt missing or is that from something that was taken off when tearing the engine down? I can't quite remember but will figure out upon reassembly if noone knows...

Rod Journals:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the numbers on the rod caps denote rod weight and is factory scribed....iirc you add 600 grams to that number to get the correct weight...so in your case 665 grams....the missing bolt on the front seal holder also doubles as a fixing bolt for the lower plastic timing cover ;)

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Got some goodies in the mail and loaded the block, crank, flywheel, and pistons up to take to the machine shop. :) Also, acquired a B4 instrument cluster. Bbob came to check out the swap one day and we figured out that the MK3 cluster is not a direct swap but the B4 should be. Only changes that need to be done is to delete the cable speedo and add in the VSS which should be a bolt in replacement. Ill report findings when i get there. When I get the head and block back the fun should start! Also Im told the trans and conversion parts should be on their way shortly :D My goal is to have this project rolling on its own power by christmas and its looking like that just might happen...

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Great work, I love these vans and with a TDI they are the complete package.

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Thank you, I am keeping the faith that this will all be worth it in the long run. I am honestly planning on living in the van when I separate from the service so I need to make sure this thing is bullet proof and I cant think of another engine considered as bullet proof as the 1.9TDI.

BigDan1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 ALH,TDI
dont worry ,

did mine at spring , had a 2.5 AAF gas before ,,,,,

unbelievable diffrence in power ,torque, and fuel economy

I have around 140 hp , I did 8.0L/100 kilo. or 36 imp mpg , or 30 mpg ( us gallons )

go for it ,youll love it !

Dan

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Ok quick update. Got some goodies from across the pond and looks like all thats left to gather is a reliable engine. Check out http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394462 to see whats going on with the engine. Right now it looks like I'm going to send everything to Franko6 and have a complete engine sent back.

The goodies from the Netherlands:

If anyone is looking to do something like this I highly recommend TDI club username FRANS for all the conversion parts. To my understanding he can get any euro parts that we cant get here: Awesome!

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
I'm excited to see this thread. I've entertained this swap for some time and now our eurovan needs a motor so it's looking like my hand is being forced! ;-) Looking forward to following yours here. Would you be willing to post/PM ballpark cost on the conversion pieces?

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Ballpark estimates:

Van and shipping CA to KY: 6k
Donor jetta: 1400
Donor van: 700
Rebuilt EWB and conversion parts: 2k (PM Frans)
Head work: 1500 (stage 2 cam and port) (PM franko6)
Short block: 2k-ish
K03/04 hybrid: 850
Upgrades to van so far: 1500 (awning, memory foam mattress, swivel for front seat)
Tools: 1k (including timing, vcds, and other uncommon tools)

Hopefully that covers most of the conversion. I know ill have to buy more stuff; halfshafts, shocks, little odds and ends but for the most part all the big ticket items have been aquired. After the conversion is up and running ill consider a proper paint job...

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
That is interesting! I think with my build, there would not be a huge advantage; their tdi kit comes with a .65 gear assuming you are putting it in a golf/jetta which has a .75 fifth gear. I am using the euro EWB trans which already has a .70 fifth gear. I think the work and money wouldn't be worth the extra .05 breathing room(although it would be super cool). Now if I was still going to use the gasser CHP trans, that's where this could be a life saver. I think a fifth gear swap (.75) and the additional 6th gear could be exactly what someone is looking for or even no 5th gear swap and just use 6th on the highway but that might be a pretty big jump....I still have the CHP if anyone is getting any ideas...

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
I believe this could be a solution for people who cannot source an EWB...

Here is the CHP with a fifth gear swap to .755 and a sixth gear added at .658:

Last edited:

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Hold on now, apparently they offer a .59 6th! This is very very very intriguing....anyone wanna donate to help make this happen? haha

EWB with .59 6th gear:

It looks like youll hit 75MPH @ approximately 2400 RPMS. I wonder what gas mileage I'd be looking like with that...is there a gas mileage estimator out there?

Last edited:

caddywompus

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Eurovan 1.9 TDI AHU 5-spd syncro
I've done a several T4/AHU conversions and have experimented with a variety of trans/gear ratios. Hands down the EWB 02B trans is the best solution I have found, but the engine build/tune must be adequate to support that tall geared trans. I have installed the 4.23 in a number of stock CHP trans with a variety of different 5th gears, .71, .68, and a .65 and though the gap that hurts is between 4th and 5th. But I've found that MPG suffers with this approach. Also counter to what one might guess based on Jetta/Golf/NB/Passat TDI experience I have found that the ideal RPM in terms of MPG is between 2750-3000 RPM, so having a really tall 5th only makes sense if you live in a place that you can actually get up to those revs in 5th (ie, wide open west).

Again, I'd take an EWB as the best option for a decently built up AHU in a T4. If sourcing an EWB isn't an option I would recommend sourcing a gearset from a newer US VW manual gear box like an 0A4 but stick with the stock T4 R&P (4.61) and swap over the entire gear tree to close up some of the gearing gaps (3-4-5) and then add a nice and tall .65 or .622 5th:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
3.77 2.11 1.27 .864 .622 4.61 R&P

This makes for a nicely geared T4 trans but again needs a high output "built" AHU to make best use of it. I would consider 140hp/300ft/lbs torque the min to fully utilize this this tall trans. I've driven this exact trans several thousand miles and like it quite alot.

All the best on your conversion.
Justin

njt1rider

Veteran Member
TDI
T1N
Hey Justin!, Thanks for the tips. Your swap is what gave me the inspiration to give this a go. Originally I was going to swap the CTN gears into the CHP but I couldn't find a decent trans shop in town willing to work on VW's. Turned out sourcing an EWB was cheaper and easier than swapping gears and rebuilding the CHP.

As far as having enough power goes, this is what my engine is looking like: .5m over ASV pistons, K03/04 turbo, larger injectors(not sure what kind), Rocket chip stage 3 tune and a Franko6 head ported with a stage 2 cam. I'm not sure what kind of numbers Ill be looking at with those mods as this is my first TDI build.

I did not know that ideal MPG was achieved between 2750-3000, I was under the impression that the lower you could get the RPMS in 5th(or 6th), the better the MPG. Nice little piece of info to know. As far as what kind of driving Ill be doing, for the first 6 months of this Eurovans new life, i should be driving about 90% highway as I will be road tripping to the four corners of America. Gizmocska brought up the 6th gear conversion idea and that brought up some interesting ideas but I just don't think it would be reliable enough for what I'm trying to do although I'm curious to see what kind of real world MPG increases a TDI Eurovan with the 6th conversion would yield (if any) as opposed to a jetta/golf(supposedly up to 10%) with 6th conversion.

Last edited:

BigDan1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 ALH,TDI
with the stock gearbox best set up is with a .717 5th

I ran .756 ( CTN) for quite a long time .....but could take even less rpm

tried a .658 once the engine suffered , turbo at 20 lbs ......the T4 is too heavy for those gears ...we are close to 5000 lbs ..not a jetta

better to have the engine to rev higher but free of load then to run at 2200 rpm and loaded

keep that in mind ......

your K03 will be the weak part of your setup ....try to get a good K14 or go VNT 17 ...a liitle more complicated but much better then the K03

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
your K03 will be the weak part of your setup ....try to get a good K14 or go VNT 17 ...a liitle more complicated but much better then the K03
I've been telling him the k04/k04 is just to dinky.
The k14/ t2 is the turbo should've come on these early tdi engines The cold side slightly bigger the hot side WAY bigger. I have a k14 on my mTDI and it's near perfect for a daily driver/ road trip car.

BigDan1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 ALH,TDI
I did conversions with K14 and K24 `s ,
T2 or T3`s are ok too ......

love the result ....the K03 is good only for bottom end torque, out of breath by 3000 rpm

my next move should be a VNT 2056 ......lots of breath lolllllllllll

our vans do rev hgiher then a Jetta ....lag is diminish by this factor .....

my van with K24 ,216 injectors & tune is a great combo

28 mpg us .......on hilly roads
32 mpg us on flats and commuting

way better torque band then my previous 2.5L gas AAF engine .....

BigDan1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 ALH,TDI
Here is an interactive link to a TDI conversion shopping list. Please feel free to add or correct. :)

TDI Conversion List

RJ
Great !!!!!

the flywhhel is from the AHU engine ......turbos is as you prefer ,
I have a K24 , some friends have K14 , some VNT`s ...
but you have to get the apropriate manifold & intakes from older versions, ...if you keep the K03 the original manifold & intake will fit .

I went .216 injectors + K24 turbo and a chipped ECU .......
what a power improvement !!!! still very good on fuel consumption too !

the engine bolts right on the bellhosing without any mods ( both bolt patterns already )

presently I run a .756 5th gear from a CTN gearbox .....quite stisfied,,,,,
2900 rpm @ 60mph
a friend tried a .658 ,,,,,,,,,,, engine logged coulndt take the 2200 rpm ...those trucks are heavy for a 1.9L ..........

you have to keep the donor ( AHU) wiring harness ......the TDI passat cluster is identical to the eurovan ....

if eurovan is from 92-95 the right motor mount is the same
if a 96- version the V6 motor mount ( or maybe ABL too ) has to be use.....

Last edited: