How to video: On car VE injection pump seal replacement video

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I was going to send a report, but then I saw this:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

How does one petition for a thread to be a sticky?

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I was going to send a report, but then I saw this:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

How does one petition for a thread to be a sticky?
First of all, there are already a buncha stickies up there. Second, a private message to the listed moderators of this forum should be enough if one wanted to register a desire to see this or any other thread granted sticky status.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I don't really think it needs to be. It doesn't pertain to 100% of cars and it's easy enough to direct people who don't have the wherewithal to search.

I agree there are already too many stickey threads.

That being said, I always kinda roll my eyes when I see the fuel temp sensor tutorial stickey as I have never, one single time, repaired a malfunctioning pump with a FTS.

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I always kinda roll my eyes when I see the fuel temp sensor tutorial stickey as I have never, one single time, repaired a malfunctioning pump with a FTS.
Haha, I totally agree with you on that I only seen one bad fts that failed was on my own tdi many years ago.

vti-chris

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
I can't seem to be able to unscrew that nut myself so i might have to take it to an expert.
I tried using epoxy around it though....but still leaks...how much pressure could it be creating to crack it?
It's not leaking from the upper side so i can't check it and be 100% sure that it leaks from that epoxy sealed nut.
Could it be leaking from that 4 injector pipes?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris, Take a picture and post it here so we get clear idea what you are saying

vti-chris

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
Here is a picture with the spots in red where i locate fuel drops.
I don't know where the leak comes from.
Thoughts are that the epoxy seal i put is not well applied on the bottom but it's a very thin gap between the nut and that large side square part that it shouldn't leak from there with all that fill.

Just came from the repair shop as well...they didn't even looked at the car...they said to take it to the mechanic-remove the pump and take the only the pump to them...by asking around i'm looking at $700-$800 for that when the car costs max $2500.(i'm in EU)

Need suggestions...although i'll try and put some more epoxy on the bottom side of the nut and see whether that fixes anything.

vti-chris

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
the head has new seals as well as the top. Only seals i didn't change is that plug and the 4 injector pipe outlets.
I'll try to find the right tool for that plug and remove it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Just today I spent $1 and about 15 minutes with a die grinder and ended up with a socket of my own.

Now a question for Robby; If I just pull the end plug how much fuel will come out and will I need to reprime the pump?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Just today I spent $1 and about 15 minutes with a die grinder and ended up with a socket of my own.

Now a question for Robby; If I just pull the end plug how much fuel will come out and will I need to reprime the pump?
All the fuel from pump will come out and yes you will need to reprime pump, which is very easy with vacuum pump or pela fluid extractor.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Tried to fix the leaking problem in my 2000TDi and installed the site round o-ring succesfully.
The problem was that i couldn't find the right seal kit and used this on instead:
(LINK REDACTED)
Just want to make this clear, the first link is an obvious Prothe CRAP site. Don't support those who profit off killing TDIs!

masondupre

TDI
2003 Jetta auto TDI, Malone Stage 1, Dynamic EGR; 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD, GDE EcoTune, DPF delete;2012 Touareg, stock
Changed my IP seals last weekend per the video. Worked as advertised. Thanks guys. Additional thanks to terrydtdi who used his VAG-COM to tweak the quantity adjuster and IP timing.

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Junked My IP

I'll share my mistake. I watched the videos, read the write-up by dieselgeek, and got the kit from dieselgeek and still managed to break the shaft in my IP. I didn't take photos, but it is broke exactly the same as in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307525&highlight=broken+IP+shaft

This was on a 96 1Z B4 Passat with 316,xxx. Things are slightly different then the video, but I don't see anything that is different enough to cause the breakage. I just managed to jostle something loose. I knew I was in trouble when the plunger control collar no longer slid freely on the shaft. I was going to take the pump off the car at that point. To take the pump off the car with this IP the gear must be turned to get access to the nuts on the timing belt side. I knew there was risk of damage, but didn't know if there was any way to avoid it. Could I have pulled the pump head off and let all the parts fall out instead? I chose to turn the engine over by hand to gain access to the nuts and that is when the shaft broke. EDIT: Re-reading this, I realized I was stupid and should have just pulled the gear off the IP even with then engine not set to TDC to gain access to those nuts. DOH! Education costs money, and I just got some education!

I was willing to accept the risk that my $100 leak stop fix was going to turn into a $1500 IP replacement, but I'm still not excited about spending the money on a rebuild or replacement. BleachedBora posted in that thread that it means the pump is toast and I'm assuming can't even be rebuilt or used as a core. Can anyone confirm that?

Anyone have a pump for a 1Z? :eek:

Thanks,
Glenn

Last edited:

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI 420K and truckin
The video was extremely helpful.. Now my leaky pump on my 398k AHU I dry as a whistle and I got some MPGs back while not paying an arm and a leg to do so:D

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Just noticed this got stickied. Wonder why that happened.

We may have a source for the head plug sockets here soon. I have one for rent for the time being. Just shoot me an email.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Is a vagcom required post-repair? I am up for tackling this repair, however I don't have a vagcom and don't want to have to drive to santa fe to have the pump tuned up..

Thanks.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
I thought I had a leaky IP, but maybe I don't?.

I noticed it as I was running liquid moly diesel purge through the system the other day. Fuel was coming out of the pump at a fairly high rate. It seemed to be coming from a few places near where the fuel lines leave the pump.

After Running through the can I shut everything off and cleaned up the area with simple green to remove any old residue. The car sat for a couple days while I did some suspension work so everything had a good chance to dry. Now when I start the car to check for leaks, I can't find any! At least not in the few minutes it sat there idling.

I'm taking it out for a few hundred miles tomorrow so I'll check if there's any fuel residue after the trip. Anyone have a similar experience?

vti-chris

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
It will probably be the same as mine...side plug in the exit of the fuel lines!!!
If you have an MK4 that is.