*** MK2 Rally Build with ALH TDI ***

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Boy I can't wait to build a rally car out of my Jetta coupe once I get my ABF hybrid up and running..you guys need some real competition, not like that slowpoke in the EVO-X that wouldn't even let ya pass! The biggest thing I miss about living up in New Hampshire is the long winding dirt roads without a lot of traffic..That's where I truly learned to drive! In my old mk3 Golf with Nokian tires for the dirt roads!

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Radiator & intercooler mounting going on as we speak but first, finishing off the motor mounts & subframe....

Main motor mount bushings are front control arm bushings. Pendulum mount uses stock bush at differential casing.

Last edited:

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
so you just called and asked for that. good deal. How much was the disc and pp?

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Little things coming along nicely in our spare time. As always, comments welcome.

Heater box installed and defrost modified to work with cage...

Front cross-member trimmed of excess weight and ready for holding the radiator at only about 3lbs instead of about 20lbs...

Rear shocks assembled (Bilsten 9.5" stroke 7100 series Baja shocks) :eek:

Brake booster & new master cylinder installed

Steel oil pan from www.ngpracing.com installed. Make sure to buy shorter bolts if you install one of these or else you WILL damage the block and the rear main seal housing.... M7 x 12mm works well.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Can you post a link to that steel oil pan that fits an ALH?

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
so you just called and asked for that. good deal. How much was the disc and pp?
Yup, just cal your local Spec distributor and ask for what we got...

Or call NGP Racing and ask for Arno and tell him you want what we have
Order Line: 1.877.GERMAN.1
Tech Line: 1.410.994.0000

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
drooling...love the hydraulic handbrake! I took the lock button out of the parking brake handle on my old golf for quick jabs, does the hydraulic circuit of yours tie into the lines going to the rear calipers?

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
after tubular sub frame why not tubular control arms? Really great build by the way.

sonic reducer

TDI
1997 passat tdi
On the list of things to do... For now though the Passat arms are super cheap and adequate.
wouldnt you want to have a readily replaceable item like a control arm be the weak link so it doesnt take out something more expensive and difficult to replace? seems like if you went to some burly tubular control arms it could even mess up the shell let alone that beautiful crossmember with the right hit. ie in the ditch on the gas then all of a sudden theres a big rock or tree trunk there. not to mention having cheap spares.

GTiTDi

TDI
wouldnt you want to have a readily replaceable item like a control arm be the weak link so it doesnt take out something more expensive and difficult to replace? seems like if you went to some burly tubular control arms it could even mess up the shell let alone that beautiful crossmember with the right hit. ie in the ditch on the gas then all of a sudden theres a big rock or tree trunk there. not to mention having cheap spares.
I second that..one of my friends asked why I didn't use the stiffer B4 Passat control arms instead of A3 arms on my A2 build, and that was my reasoning exactly..although I am only building a street car

Last edited:

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Looking Great! Is it running yet?
Not yet. Got a few more small subsystems ready on satuday... Fan shroud, rear shocks, Fuel tank skid plate, some wiring, some dash stuff, accelerator pedal...

Got a few more small subsystems ready on satuday... Fan shroud, rear shocks, Fuel tank skid plate, some wiring, some dash stuff, accelerator pedal...

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Not yet. Got a few more small subsystems ready on satuday... Fan shroud, rear shocks, Fuel tank skid plate, some wiring, some dash stuff, accelerator pedal...

Now the pictures I saw on FB make sense, I was wondering why you guys had cut a fuel tank in half..great idea! Also liking the long travel suspension you guys are using..is this GTI going to sit any higher than your current rig or does this just result in longer droop?

QuantumRallySport

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2
Engine bay side of the gas pedal mount. A floor mounted throttle stop will prevent me from tearing this off the firewall.

2" x 1.5" aluminum tube profiled to match the firewall. Floor mounted throttle stop will be added too.

Gas pedal mounting detail. White is a urethane spacer due to the 1/8" contour under the edge.

Pedals in and lined up. Now just need a cover and grip tape for the brake to match the clutch

Another angle of the pedals installed. The clutch is not hooked to a master cylinder yet so I had to get my hand in there to hold it out.

Last edited:

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
lookin good any idea when you will have it together? Also you are using the mk2 steering rack, welded adapter to the end of the mk4 column?