I want a bigger fuel tank!!!

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Do they make a bigger tank? Would be nice to have 20 gallons.
Not just 14.5 anyone else think so?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not really. close to 700 miles on a tank is just fine.

Actually, the tank is close to 16 gallons if you top it off.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I know when I had my trucks they made bigger tanks.
Would be nice to go 1000 miles without filling up.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Lol good point.
Just would be nice on long trips or if you find a good price on fuel.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Put an auxillary fuel tank in your trunk and plumb the supply line into the vent on your cars fuel tank. When regular tank gets low, crack open the ball valve a little and motor on as you fuel tank slowly fills. Only down side is loss of trunk space, cant have your cake and eat it too lol. My dad hauls travel trailers cross country in a Cummins; Fort Wayne, Indiana to Burlington, Vermont and back and doesn't have to fill up. Buys fuel at some Indian reservation in NY.

Last edited:

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
It would be nice to have a 25 gallon tank. Fill ups would be aroung $100 now a days, and it would help when trying not to stop in states like Ohio, or New York, Deleware, or other states with high fuel taxes. Maybe I could drive past states I'm scared to stop in like Mississippi, Lousiana, Geogia, Tennessee, etc. It would also make it worth my time to go to Jersey for all the wine I can't buy in PA, and cheap fuel.

Hoffy85

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI 88,800 Miles 5 Speed MK4
I recently bought a TDI and my buddy told me about what TDI experts call a Ventectomy. I guess there is a vent on the fuel tank that is equipped but only needed by the gasoline models. Its a vent spring that can be taken out and lets you add about 2 gallons more to you're tank. I don't know a ton about it. I would search the forum for it or ask about it specifically.

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
yea I would like a larger tank.

oh and if you drive right its possible to go 1000miles on a tank. my sedan will do it. but my wagon won't.

I have thought about putting a small tank in the inner fender. the fill neck would be cut and feed into the small tank. then bottom of small tank would connect to the bottom half of the fill neck. but I have not been to motivated in doing it lol.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I recently bought a TDI and my buddy told me about what TDI experts call a Ventectomy. I guess there is a vent on the fuel tank that is equipped but only needed by the gasoline models. Its a vent spring that can be taken out and lets you add about 2 gallons more to you're tank. I don't know a ton about it. I would search the forum for it or ask about it specifically.
Very well known trick - only works on the mk4 cars. The OP has an MK6 so it doesn't apply

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I carry a squat 6gal jug when driving from NC to fla keys. A regular tank puts me near Miami which is a terrible place to find fuel. I stop, pour the jug in, and motor on for another 300mile. When running around local, jug is removed from trunk.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
There is a vent install that can be done on a mk6, but it's a bit more complex.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3627240&postcount=15

Adds around 1.25 gallons to your capacity.

Anything else you're talking replacing your existing tank, and I've not seen a high capacity option, or adding some sort of auxiliary tank.

I would love to be able to mount a Passant tank, but I can't figure out if it would fit, and don't want to buy one just to find out it doesn't.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I carry a squat 6gal jug when driving from NC to fla keys. A regular tank puts me near Miami which is a terrible place to find fuel. I stop, pour the jug in, and motor on for another 300mile. When running around local, jug is removed from trunk.

I did similar with a 5 gal jug but it was a cheap jug and the diesel fumes wafted about the car. I would love a bigger tank that would get me up to a 1000 mile range with normal driving.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Diesel is aprox 7.1 lbs per gallon

25 times 7.1 is 177 lbs, lot of weight in the rear.

colourfastt

TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
It would be nice to have a 25 gallon tank. Fill ups would be aroung $100 now a days, and it would help when trying not to stop in states like Ohio, or New York, Deleware, or other states with high fuel taxes. Maybe I could drive past states I'm scared to stop in like Mississippi, Lousiana, Geogia, Tennessee, etc. It would also make it worth my time to go to Jersey for all the wine I can't buy in PA, and cheap fuel.
Having grown up in Virginia and lived in Delaware and now living in Louisiana, I can honestly say that Pennsyl"tucky" is one of those states that scares the hell out of me and I avoid like the plague.

emscar

Veteran Member
TDI
`00 Golf, auto trans
extra tank

You could use a 10 gal. RCI aluminum fuel cell and put it in the spare tire well with a 12v transfer pump wired to a dashboard switch. That would add, say 35 lbs., since the spare is gone. How many flats do you get?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Diesel is aprox 7.1 lbs per gallon

25 times 7.1 is 177 lbs, lot of weight in the rear.
Only if the car is already completely loaded down. That is only the equivalent of one person (old FAA person weight) sitting in the back seat. Stick 4 250 lb people in the car, now that is a lot of weight.

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
Check craiglist for wvo kits or even on the net. They will sell you the whole set up and it would work with a switch in the dash. I just bought a Gulf with a WVO system, not a fan. My plan was to scrap the wvo system, but now you got me thinking. The tank fits right in the spare tire well. Just have to figure out where to put the spare.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
When trying to increase the performance of a SYSTEM, one first upgrades the weakest link or the 'bottleneck'.

So, How can I increase my bladder capacity? I have to stop several times for each time the car actually needs fuel. :)

YMMV, mine does! :eek:

Bill

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
People who make conversion kits to run TDIs on grease have tanks shaped to fit the spare tire well. They hold about 7 gallons, giving you over 20 total.

I don't like the shorter range of my new Golf, but I'm adjusting. And if it bothers me too much I just go drive the Miata, which is lucky to go 250 on a tank.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Ditto on the "small bladder" limit - I'm usually good for 1.5-2.5 hours at a time , especially with the diabetes. The 14-15 gallons I can fit in the Beetle is more than a match for me...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, but filling a car takes time on a road trip. I usually stop every 3-4 hours, but it's great to not have to get fuel as well. I can drive to Cleveland from Eastern MA in my wagon without refueling. Nice.

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I wouldn't mind having a bigger fuel tank, but it would be a bit silly to complain about the range. My previous car had the same size tank and only once did I ever touch 400 miles. last month in the Jetta I drove from here in Eastern NY to the Cincy area on one tank and that didn't even crack my top 5.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Two notes:

One unless you're adding an additional 25 gallons, then the weight calculation is off...it should be figured for more like 10 gallons, since you already have about 15 in the OEM tank.

Second, a heavier car does NOT automatically mean less mpg particularly when we are considering highway mileage...which we are.

BoB JSDubb

TDI
2011 JSW
Afraid to stop in TN and GA? I guess Atlanta and Nashville are too "local" for you huh? :confused:

As for driving 1,000 miles straight, it is also unhealthy. I think they say you should walk around every few hours to ensure blood flow from your legs to your heart. This prevents blood clots.