The new Wagen in town!!

BONOMAN5064

TDI
2014 SPORTSWAGEN
Hello Everyone:
Well I just traded a 2011 Mustang GT for a 2014 Sportswagen TDI 6sp. I always had a thing for wagons, but never owned one. They remind me of when I was a kid and we rented station wagons to go on trips. Now I have my own kid so its her time. All my friends are like WHAT DID YOU DO?? Alas, I am loving my new car. Did I mentioned that I drive 70 miles a day to work?? Yeap. I did that on a Mustang GT. That's was killer. So I decided to make a change.

Ever since I was a little kid, my dream car was a VW Beetle from the 60s or 70s. So I finally have my "volky" (how we call them in my country). Very impressed with the build, the response and the way the Sportswagen drives and handles.

The only things I plan to do to the wagon for now its tinted windows and I am dropping a KN filer (I know I Know) :)

Any advise or recommendations will be appreciated.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Love my wagon, great for boards and kayaks now that I'm able to play!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Repeat NO NO NO K&N.

You have a lot of reading to do here.

VW gave you a nice cold air and filter set up and it was included in the price of the car!

Diesels are a different mind set than gassers.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Is it OK to have a drop in KN washable filter in an '01 Jetta TDI?

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
I bought a TDI with a k&n. After replacing my MAF ($120) TWICE in 6,000 miles( due to contamination from the k&N) went back to the OEM paper filter. No more problems with the MAF!
Guess how much performance I lost switching back to OEM paper? ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. NONE. You see, the dirty little secret here is that the air flow thru the OEM paper vw filter is at least as good, if not better, than the k&n. esp with fuel injection and ba turbocharger. until you get above 5-6,000 RPM. Diesels , unlike gassers, produce their best power in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range.
Plus, it is quieter with the OEM. I like to listen to my music, or conversation and quieter is better.

Last edited:

BONOMAN5064

TDI
2014 SPORTSWAGEN
Thanks everybody. I will probably return the K&N filter. I have been using them for years and never had any issues. Then again, it was on a gas engine. I am very happy with the performance, the drive and the feel of the wagon. Cannot wait to go on a trip.

Last edited: