2002 jetta headlight removal?

flatlander95

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 120,000mi
I want to polish the inside of my headlights out and couldn't figure out how the dang things come out. I just want to get the whole headlight out in one piece! Any suggestions would be great

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I believe the easiest way is to remove the bumper cover. Makes it easier to get to the screws. (Maybe it's the only way ...)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I believe the easiest way is to remove the bumper cover. Makes it easier to get to the screws. (Maybe it's the only way ...)

This is the only way, two bottom screws are under the bumper cover and the grill has to come out as well.
If you plan to take the headlight apart, place it in the oven at 150 for about 7 mins, this will soften the eurethane that binds it together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
If you are wanting to clean the silver reflective area, do not use anything that has ammonia in it as it will remove the silver. Don't ask how I found that out. :)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Leave the chrome reflectors alone, period. The finish rubs off very easily. Once I have all the torx bolts removed I just slide the front bumper cover a couple of inches to get to the two bottom bolts on each HL. Use a rag as an apron and you'll be fine.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Yea, you have to take the front bumper cover off. It's not tough at all. Small tip, use a short screw driver or a small ratchet wrench with a bit to get the screws from the front wheel wells, turn the wheels when doing so. All the other screws are easy. Be careful pulling the cover off, as there are tabs for allignment and the turn signal wires.

flatlander95

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 120,000mi
I took the whole bumper off and headlights out to find out i had to put them in my step moms nice oven...i am just going to buy new lights because the lenses are very fogged, unless anyone knows where i can get new lenses??? if not any god headlight recommendations?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
do some searching and reading. You can polish the existing and it will stay clear for about 18 months or so depending on your location. they clean up nice and its easy, although not a long term solution. But you could clean them and then put a clear bra cover material on them.

OR, you can get glass covers for the jetta lenses and hit the heat gun peel them off etc. Search here - one of our vendors from Jersey (can't remember the name) has some good youtube on this.

OR, buy new and there are lots of varieties - although some inspection ****s have a problem with most of the replacements not being DOT certified - thanks to our new nanny state.

read read read. And then you'll be more informed than we or at least I am.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Go to any auto parts store and buy a headlight polishing kit (I like the 3M kit). The fogging is on the outside of the lens. There was absolutely no reason to remove the headlights to do this. Here's my Passat.

Before:

After:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The bumper cover comes off in a few minutes work; it's really easy to remove and once off the headlights come right out.

Either polish the external lens with it out of the car or just buy replacements; they're not that expensive. I replaced mine a few years ago with ones that had fogs in them and wired those up, so I got both fogs and new headlights at the same time.

DonsGLS

TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2014 Reflex Silver
New Headlights for about $80 (US)

I used the 'polish' on my headlights, and after the 3rd time yellowing, I decided to buy new. The VW headlights from my dealer were quite the expenditure, however, I was able to purchase a pair of new (non-VW) headlights for $80 including shipping from Amazon.com.

The VW dealer installed them for me. (I'm not very mobile these days) for about 1 hours labour. The total for brand spanking new headlights (pair) was probably 1/4 or so of a single new one from VW.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Je...79&sr=8-1&keywords=2003+jetta+headlights+pair

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
If you decide to re polish them , us a couple coats of automotive clear coat. This has uv protectant in so it will eliminate yellowing and prolong the look.
I did the ones on my old 2002 golf and as far as I know they are still clear, that was 3 or 4 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I took oilhammer's advice and rubbed some SPF 30 sunscreen on the lenses after polishing them, then again after every time that I wash the car. Seems to be holding up pretty well.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The Sylvania kit contains a clear that still looks perfect after 2 years out in the TX sun, and CR has confirmed that as well. Pretty cheap, and works well - give it a try.

- Tim

flatlander95

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 120,000mi
I used a headlight anti fog kit on the outside, but it is the insides that are yellowed. gonna buy some new ones and then refurbish my old ones to sell or keep

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Can you post a picture? I've never seen anything like what you are explaining. The yellowing is caused by UV and that happens on the outside. I just did our '01 Golf a couple of weeks ago and they look like new.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
if it's not the outside, it's more likely to be the whole thickness of the plastic and polishing the inside won't help.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
if it's not the outside, it's more likely to be the whole thickness of the plastic and polishing the inside won't help.
This is what I have. I was able to get some of it out with polishing, but in a while it's penetrated the plastic itself, so I picked up new headlight assemblies.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
11 years with my Hella ecodes I put expel on the day they went in. Still 100% clear.

Why they ever went to plastic is beyond me. Our 1965 Barracuda is still perfect gotta love glass.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Take the headlights out, you'll get better results...
How does removing the headlights get better results? IMO, it is much easier with them in the car because they are mounted solidly, and you can use both hands to do the polishing instead of having to hold the headlight steady with one. A couple of layers of masking tape to protect the paintwork and you are good to go. Just my $0.02.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
How does removing the headlights get better results? IMO, it is much easier with them in the car because they are mounted solidly, and you can use both hands to do the polishing instead of having to hold the headlight steady with one. A couple of layers of masking tape to protect the paintwork and you are good to go. Just my $0.02.

I used a polisher, cant get into the "corners" with them attached to the car. Plus, the risk of hitting the paint is very high. Tape is useless against a polisher.

I was able to place them flat down so I could apply even pressure to the entire surface area.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I used a polisher, cant get into the "corners" with them attached to the car. Plus, the risk of hitting the paint is very high. Tape is useless against a polisher.
I was able to place them flat down so I could apply even pressure to the entire surface area.
Got ya! I used the 3M kit with a small polishing head that fit in a cordless drill and is very easy to control.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
Here is a fogging question. I park my car in my garage. A fair bit of the time it is parked in a parking deck during the work week. I did put in Ecodes a few years back. I use name brand lamps that should have UV protection. My old plastic lenses and the newer ecodes are both clear. Is it cars that are outside all the time or some other factor that causes all the fogging? Yes I know UV damage but UV damage from internal or from external?

My tractor is 18 years old. I replaced one headlight with a OEM made in China light. Original OEM was made in Japan. I broke the original light carrying a drag harrow. Anyhow the old good light is dirty inside and needs to removed and washed. But no external haze. Tractor sits in the yard. Tractor might have 600 hours but probably 10-20 hours with the headlights on. TDI probably has 5-6,000 hours with the headlights on DLR most of the hours but maybe up to half the hours at full voltage.