RWD with Asz, whats trans/gearbox

stevey dee

TDI
caddy mk2
I want to fit a tdi into my ford capri

It will start with a 1Z just because im running it in my a4 atm

What gearbox choices do I have?

I was thinking a tdi quattro box with the diff locked but I can only find 2.5 boxes. Could this be made to fit or do I have to use a 1.9?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Almost any longitudinal transmission should bolt up with the right clutch kit. Most only transfer up to 50% to the rear end though.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
AFAIK, Tdi quattro boxes turn the opposite direction than most rear axles.

stevey dee

TDI
caddy mk2
Ohhhh not sure how I could get that to work then?...

What other options do I have? 6 speed would be nice but 5 will do

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Quicktime (now owned by Lakewood) has an SFI-approved bellhousing that will adapt most 4- and 6-cylinder VW/Audi engines (including TDI) to the GM version of the T5:

http://lakewoodindustries.com/bellhousing-volkswagon-audi-muncie-jerico.html

From what I've read, the VW flywheel is still used, just need a different starter since it is now relocated to the engine block side of things, along with a clutch disc with the GM spline. I'm not clear on how things can be set up with clutch actuation (mechanical or hydraulic, might work with either) or what starter would be used, but it would be great if someone could share the information.

I did learn a few things about the T5; you'd want a late-80's T5, which is the World Class (WC) version found in the V8 cars over the Non-World Class (NWC) version found in earlier cars and 4/6 cylinder vehicles. WC is a stouter gearbox with gear ratios better suited to a TDI diesel powerband. There is also a lot of aftermarket support for these and different gear ratios were available as well.

Of course, if your budget allows, there is also the T56 six-speed...

Last edited:

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
I'm using a Toyota W58 with a 22R bellhousing. The W58 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the toyota truck tranny but the gearing is better suited to street cars. You then use the acme adapter to bolt up to the VW engine.

stevey dee

TDI
caddy mk2
I'm using a Toyota W58 with a 22R bellhousing. The W58 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the toyota truck tranny but the gearing is better suited to street cars. You then use the acme adapter to bolt up to the VW engine.
Ok thanks so what cars came with the w58?