Tiguan TDI- Is it possible?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
, and I don't need a bunch of negativity.
Do you mean being realistic? or negative. Negativity would be "That swap sucks, or "You're a moron".. etc..

I've done a number of diesel swap and sourced components for dozens of swaps and I try to be as realistic as possible with cost estimations and what is needed. Every swap I've done has been on par with what the factory would have done so I base all my comments on the level of quality of work that would come from VW if you could buy something on the dealer floor.

Realisitcally that undergoing swap will have some huge hurdles.. Namely the fuel tank. The Jetta will not work and I suspect it will be either unsafe or impossible to convert the gas tank due to the emissions of the Common rail engine. I'm 98 percent confident the Jetta tank will not fit meaning you will have to source a TDI tiguan tank.. Meaning a significant expenditure, but again if I am negative by saying that I would install a diesel specific tank, or negative by outlying the true costs of said swaps then I guess I'm a stick in the mud. Not that I'm poo ping the swap but not having the proper transmission or proper fuel tank is just shoddy work.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Do you mean being realistic? or negative. Negativity would be "That swap sucks, or "You're a moron".. etc..

I've done a number of diesel swap and sourced components for dozens of swaps and I try to be as realistic as possible with cost estimations and what is needed. Every swap I've done has been on par with what the factory would have done so I base all my comments on the level of quality of work that would come from VW if you could buy something on the dealer floor.
^^ Is this realistic?

Thank you for the information about the fuel tank. I'm not sure why it would be impossible to modify, but you know best.

I posted the ratios in this thread, along with corresponding speeds in 6th gear. If you want to debate whether or not it will work well, go ahead. Here's my point of view:

Obviously, since this is a heavier AWD vehicle, the lower gear ratios will work great. If it needs to be slightly taller, tire size will alter the final drive sufficiently. <--- Here, I've set up a statement you surely disagree with. Do you have some technical reason why I'm wrong? Quote me and knock it out of the park. It seems a bit priggish to be going about telling others that their work is shoddy when the project is just getting started.

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I can respect anyone doing anything to their car, how poorly or greatly it may be executed but I'm not one to cheap (yes CHEAP as in poor quality) out on a project. There seems to be an overall effort with regards to diesel swaps to do things as cheaply as possible without factoring in quality or workmanship, and that's not my speed.

If I were to perform a Tiguan tdi swap I'd import a European Tiguan and swap over all components into a USA based Tiguan.. not the least expensive method but at least your guaranteed a stock like quality. There's a difference between making it happen and making it happen correctly.

So to each his own and hats off to whoever is doing that tiggy project. Good luck and god speed, I've made my spiel and will await the success or failure of this effort.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I know what you're saying, I respect you Scott. If I were doing the swap, look at my username, obviously I would not be choosing an automatic. I would want a manual, and just like the cryo-treated 5-speed I'm going to order from you, I would want to specify EVERY gear ratio individually to my tastes.

This isn't my project or my money. Better to hook up the auto-transmission and find out it's not working than blow $5,000+ on a DSG only to find out later that the auto would have worked. We can swap the transmission later if it sucks, transmission swaps are easy.

This is about experimentation and about finding out what is possible. Fortunately, we don't have any customers to please. I understand your point about this being a salvage vehicle even when it's finished. For your business, that point is valid- it will make or break your profits on a tdi-swap vehicle. For this builder, that point is moot because he doesn't plan on selling it.

queek

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I just got back from a trip to Barcelona and while there I had to make an obligatory stop in a VW dealer.

I can't remember if this was Tiquan, but you can get just about anything in a Diesel in Spain (and probably the rest of Europe):

And here is the interior - 6 speed:

Their sticker price is about 40k euros ($60k at today's exchange rate)

Here are some more tidbits from TDI country: Fahrenheit Orange 1.6 TDI Polo (Sportwagon-like):

Orange not your color?...

The 1.6TDI:

Wheels I can't order on a new Jetta Wagon here in the States:

Last edited:

Vdub_Love

TDI
Hoping to own one.
Ok instead of having pissing contest let's see some pics of the swap process.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Yeah, I am interested in seeing this.

Serious, even if it is good intentioned, lay off the negativity. Someone is putting in the effort here and may very well run into issues, but that is how we learn. I would love to see this thing succeed.