Rear Wiper Fluid Drip - MK6 Golf

rootbeerinacan

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 6-speed standard - 2009 Jetta TDI, wagon 6-speed DSG - 2000 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 5-speed standard (sold)
Some will say I'm being knit picky, but it's been the ONLY thing bugging me since getting my 2010 Golf.

Every time I activate washer fluid onto the rear windshield, everything goes great; the wiper turns on, fluid is sprayed onto the surface, and it's completely wiped away by the wiper. What pisses me off comes after this:

The washer nozzle above the windshield drips 1-2 drops of fluid every few seconds, for HOURS!

Green arrow points to the nozzle, blue oval is the resulting wet-space.

Why does this happen? What was wrong with the design of the MK4 washer nozzle? Why put it above the windshield? Could one of the largest automotive corporations not create a system where I don't have to keep the stupid wiper going for hours after I wash the panel? When winter comes, I can just imagine a nice big spot of ice constantly being there.

My actual questions are as follows: Is it a mark-wide issue, or is it just me? and is there anything I can do to fix it?

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
there's a big thread about this on vwvortex
In that case I am misinformed, and offer my apologies for my snarky tone. Been a little too frequent "VW are a bunch of idiots because I don't understand their design" posts lately.

As punishment, I'll drive a Prius for a week. No wait, that'd be cruel and unusual punishment.

rootbeerinacan

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 6-speed standard - 2009 Jetta TDI, wagon 6-speed DSG - 2000 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 5-speed standard (sold)
@DPG, that's not the same issue. On VWVortex, they're saying that water gets INTO the car. My nozzle just drips onto the outside of a windshield.

@MostroDiesel: In light of the punishment you have layed out, I have no choice but to issue you a pardon. May no man ever drive such a ridiculous machine.

ptherock

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4-door manual
i have this problem, and have for months now. since it's not a big deal, i'm being very lazy about it and will bring it up when i go in for my 10k (probably within the next month). i believe i recall another thread about this, but i'm not sure if it was on this site or the vortex.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Mods please close this thread it has been discussed a million times all the OP needs to do is search the forums.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
In that case I am misinformed, and offer my apologies for my snarky tone. Been a little too frequent "VW are a bunch of idiots because I don't understand their design" posts lately.

As punishment, I'll drive a Prius for a week. No wait, that'd be cruel and unusual punishment.
haha, i didnt see any snarkyness, but i don't take things too personally either. sorry i should have included the thread on it but had to run out of the office during my post, so i had to cut it short

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hey, that is my car parked on my bridge with my new LED tail lights!!!

I only noticed my nozzle leaking once or twice in about 6-months and 9000 miles of driving. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. When it did leak, it seemed like it only happened immediately after I used the squirter. It was as if the liquid remaining in the tubing just had to drain from the system. I don't use the rear squirter very often, so maybe that is why I don't see much leaking.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I believe there is an official VW technical bulletin regarding this issue, so your dealer is aware of the problem and solution. Some people who have had the issue fixed have complained that the technician caused other damage in the process of making the repair (like scratching the lens of the center brake light), so I'm not sure I'm going to bother having them fix this on my car.

rootbeerinacan

TDI
@ksing44: Lol, I just searched for a random pic of the rear end of a TDI, and I guess I stumbled upon yours :p Those taillights look sick btw.

@sgoldste01: That's promising. I'm gonna head down there pretty soon. ... As soon as I quit being lazy. I'll report back.

rootbeerinacan

TDI
@ksing44: Lol, I just searched for a random pic of the rear end of a TDI, and I guess I stumbled upon yours :p Those taillights look sick btw.

@sgoldste01: That's promising. I'm gonna head down there pretty soon. ... As soon as I quit being lazy. I'll report back.