Fuel Injection and Urea Injection

jsorensen4@cox.net

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
2012 TDI SEL, 29,000 miles.
At about 8,000 miles the urea injection system had to be fully replaced, the guy at the dealership said that if that was not under warranty it would have cost something like $2,000. When the system failed there was no noticeable change in performance, just an annoying idiot light on the dash.
At 29,000 miles the fuel pump and entire fuel injection system failed and had to be replaced. The same guy at the dealership said that this would have cost $6,500 had it not been under warranty. When this system failed, the car just wouldn't start. When the start button was pushed the engine would just crank and crank until the start button was pushed again.
I am worried about these systems failing again after the car is out of warranty. I talked to the dealership about an extended warranty and while one is available it is very expensive - $3,995 for 100,000 miles.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with the TDI, or is it just me?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
You haven't mentioned any extenuating circumstances so I assume there wasn't any mis-fueling going on here. Everything has now been replaced and you've kept the receipts? These items are part of the warranty which on the new Passat is 5 years/60k. Seems to me like you're going to be okay. Keeping a paper trail is key though if there are any more problems.