Considering upgrading to 2014 Passat SEL

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Been kicking around the idea of selling or trading in my 06.5 Jetta tdi for a new Passat sel tdi.

Anyone have any reason I shouldn't do this? My Tdi has 139,000 miles on it now. Been a great car, just put on new front hubs. Its already had the engine wiring harness changed. Cam was changed at 72K miles under warranty. Has a bit if rust starting on the rear quarter panels that I'm sure I can VW to repair under warranty, they already replaced the hood due to rust. Just put on a new set of Blizzak WS70's 6000 miles ago on the stock Bioline wheels. Its going to need a timing belt in about 13,000 miles. It was changed at 72K when VW warrantied the cam. Also the turbo actuator is in need of adjustment (I've been lazy this winter) its not that bad.

I've been frequenting the NMS section lately. Seems like the Passat is pretty solid, with the occasional turbo failure.

Just kinda want something new. Not sure if I should trade it in or sell it outright if anyone is interested.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I just drove one little over a week ago, pretty nice car. The chassis feels soft and boat-like compared to the more German sports sedan feeling MKV. There are quite a few signs of cost cutting that has become common to the newer VWs too. These are mostly little things that might not bother most.

I will say that the tune and H&R Sport springs I installed really made the car drive more VW like though.

I have noticed that many of the newer VWs I have driven are feeling more and more "Americanized". They are a bit more soft and wallowy in the handling with more plasticy in the interiors. The drink holders are improving though! That is how you sell cars to Americans.

I'm going to keep my MKV for awhile...

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
Anyone have any reason I shouldn't do this?
You won't be disappointed if you do. We 1st got a TDI 16 years ago, and my son is still using it, and it had been the best investment I ever made in a car! Thought it was awesome on day one, and never lost the feeling of awesomeness over all those years.

But now that we recently got an '09 Jetta TDI, I did not realize how much MORE awesome the newer ones are until we got it. It is the same exact engine as the brand new ones. They are rock solid, smooth, quite, and powerful. We still get in the upper 40's in MPG with the DSG auto transmission. :D

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Found a really nice SEL at my preferred dealership. Question, is it possible to get the $1000 dealer cash and 0.9% financing? Also I have a set of 17" Karthoums, will these fit the NMS? If so I will use them for winter wheels.

Thanks

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Found a really nice SEL at my preferred dealership. Question, is it possible to get the $1000 dealer cash and 0.9% financing? Also I have a set of 17" Karthoums, will these fit the NMS? If so I will use them for winter wheels.

Thanks
Where did you see the $1K Dealer Cash offer?

In the past it's been $500 dealer cash when using VW Credit, or $2,000 when you bring your own financing.

If it's up to $1,000 with VW financing, they've probably included it in whatever price they've given you.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Where did you see the $1K Dealer Cash offer?
In the past it's been $500 dealer cash when using VW Credit, or $2,000 when you bring your own financing.
If it's up to $1,000 with VW financing, they've probably included it in whatever price they've given you.
My bad it was $1500 dealer cash or 0.9%. I ended up using the cash and financing with an outside party with at a 1.6% rate for 60 months. I paid $29,863.95 for my Passat SEL with lip spoiler, monster mats, trunk mat w/blocks, and first aid kit. Also think I did well on my trade considering what it was needing, $7000. They may have inflated my trade a bit to make the deal more attractive, who knows? I'm happy, wife is happy thats all that matters for now. I was also suckered into purchasing the platnium drive easy warranty for 5 years. Paid about $100 more for that than I'da liked (more than Chris is selling them for). But given the turbo failures of the previous two years it may prove to come in handy in the future.

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
PowerService in every tank, and enjoy the ride.

Congrats!!!!!