Engine bay blanket

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Was watching a review of a product on Russian TV. It is an engine bay blanket, resistant to oil and heat. In stylish white, looks like a regular Nordic-type stuffed blanket, in off-white.

They poured some gasoline and oil on it and then burned it off with a blow torch - no damage to the blanket, outside of dark spots. Sells for $50 in Russia.

Takes seconds to install: pop the hood, spread it over the engine bay, tuck in, done. The tests show tremendous improvement in heat retention (5 hrs for engine to cool down with blanket installed, in -15C, as opposed to 20 min w/o).

Now, it might sound surprising, but this is a show I trust, they review all kinds of products and are never shy calling cr@p cr@p. A show like this is simply impossible in US, they will get sued out of existence on day 2.

Went to amazon this morning, thinking they surely must sells something similar. NADA. Ditto for Ebay.

Anyone know of a similar product ?

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
you can accomplish the same thing by placing a good insulated blanket(furniture pad) over the hood....if you can make the blanket touch the ground on both sides the better results you will have...
I too thought it was a bunch of malarky until I tried it on a very windy and cold night ..

much easier start the next am

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Look for a welder's blanket, the 3' x 3' size might be just about perfect:

They're typically made out of some sort of fibreglass material. This one is not as I'm using it to cover my BBQ and don't want fibreglass around food.

tigerdog

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
When I lived in colder climes and worked night shift with outside parking, I used to pop the hood on my old SAAB and spread your basic old wool blanket over the engine. removed it before starting, of course. It did make a noticeable difference on sub-freezing (and especially sub zero) nights. This might be an even better solution.