Its -20F Out, Whats the coldest temp you've started your NMS Passat?

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
Crank on first try...

Both my Passat and wife's Jetta cranked on first try at 7F ambient air temp (-13C). Glow plugs were warm in less than 3 seconds and I let it sit for about 10 min to allow fuel filter to warm up and then we drove off. Was pleasantly surprised as we fuel is not winterized here and was untreated on both cars

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Both my Passat and wife's Jetta cranked on first try at 7F ambient air temp (-13C). Glow plugs were warm in less than 3 seconds and I let it sit for about 10 min to allow fuel filter to warm up and then we drove off. Was pleasantly surprised as we fuel is not winterized here and was untreated on both cars
Two questions;

1. Why would you think that your fuel isn't winterized?

2. What do you mean by warming the fuel filter?

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
Georgia only requires winterized gasoline stock, not winterized diesel:

http://www.georgiaair.org/airpermit/html/mobilearea/engines/gasmarketing.htm

Also, a most major fuel depots (truckstops) only sell winterized diesel as far south as Chattanooga (examples below):

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/services/winterized-diesel-seasonal
http://www.pilotflyingj.com/pilot-flying-j-announces-free-2012-winter-diesel-additive-program

As far as the fuel filter warming up, it was my understanding that our engine had heated fuel filters that take a few moments to warm up. Is that not the case?

jrp086

TDI
2006 jetta 2010 jetta 2012 passat tdi sel
Sorry I didn't specify. The glow plug light came on and was lit for approx 5-7 seconds, I turned the key to start it, it cranked like normal and just as it sounded like things would catch and start up it would die.
my wife's 2012 passat is push button start...how do i get the glow plugs to fire up with no key to turn??

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I started my TDI today at -15F, and it was a rough go. It didn't catch on the first try. Then 2 or 3 really slow turn overs with no fire. On the 4th-5th try, I had to pump the accelerator a little bit to get it to to go from 500RPM's to around 1,000RPM's and then run on it's own.

When I left work last night, it was about -5 and it started right up. But at 15 below and sitting outside the whole night, it was a bit scarier. But it started

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
my wife's 2012 passat is push button start...how do i get the glow plugs to fire up with no key to turn??
Good question with an easy answer..

The easy way is to simply get in and start normally. If you notice, the starter does not engage until the glow plug light has went out.

If you subscribe to the theory of multiple glow cycles are helpful in extreme cold, simply get in the car, don't put your foot on the brake and push the button. Wait for the glow cycle to complete and then push the button to turn the ignition off. Lather, rinse, repeat as many times as you feel necessary.

- DZ

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
2. What do you mean by warming the fuel filter?
Technically, in a LONG, roundabout way the fuel filter would eventually get warm...

As fuel leaves the HPFP that doesn't end up leaving the rail via an injector.... It's recycled back through the tank. This fuel is heated at this point. Eventually warmer fuel would make it's way back to the fuel filter.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
This morning about 7am in Northern VA it was about 3F, I usually garage my Passat but left it outside overnight on purpose to see what it would be like to start it at that temp. Glow plugs went out after about 3 seconds, and car started right up. But was alot noisier than usual. The DSG wasn't very happy for a few miles, I finally experienced that bucking some talk about. It was like it was slipping and slipping then finally caught extremely hard and the car jumped forward and threw me back. Very annoying, I think I'll park it in the garage tonight. lol.

Last edited:

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
videos please :D flawless diesel startups at those temps were not even imaginable a few short years ago!

Although this most recent cold snap seems to have moved on out of MN, I mean hey, I went to the archery range last night with my son at -16F and it was already up to -6F when I woke this morning, and its now a balmy 5F above! Anyway, since we tend to get into the -20s and deeper fairly often here, I'll shoot a video for you next time we get below -20F. I will warn you, based on the performance of my TDI in the Deep Freeze thus far.., its not gonna be nearly as exciting as those others posted though. :D

Tdi1977

TDI
2014 Passat
Well I finally got the car going yesterday. Ended up digging out a long deep path of snow around the car to get our van out. Literally had inches to squeeze through on slick packed snow. Anyway, got some anti-gel in the tank. 30 minutes after that 'brewed' in the tank, using a hair dryer on the fuel filter and a temp of 7 degrees, it fired right up. It shook and rattled for a few minutes, but then started purring like a kitten.

I hope I never have to deal with this again. But some anti-gel, gloves and a funnel are going in the truck for each fill up for a while, lol.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
... got some anti-gel in the tank. 30 minutes after that 'brewed' in the tank, using a hair dryer on the fuel filter and a temp of 7 degrees, it fired right up.
That's nuts. You need to figure out what the heck is going in your tank, or fill up in Indiana on winterized D2.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
-15* F cold start

With the cold snap that hit Chicago and most of the nation earlier in the week my company gave us Monday off. I decided that it would be a good time to conduct an experiment and see if my Passat would start in -15° temperature after sitting outside of its normal spot in my heated garage. This way if it didn't start I can just go back inside not have to worry about going to work. Here is the vid. I think it did pretty well, but am glad I don't have to do that often. http://youtu.be/My0SIxZU1Bk

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
Could've posted this in the recent thread of the cold starts.

I experienced the same on Monday. Even though it sounded like a tractor for a few minutes.

KpaxFAQ

TDI
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
About the same in my cruze at -9. The passat sure does crank fast, some people commented that mine cranked slow in the video I posted but I think this car cranks slower in general than the passat.

Id say your test was confidence inspiring!

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
I find your glow plug 'times' or cycle is kinda too fast. I mean, mine takes about 10-15 secs to do one cycle and yours like 3 or 4.

My 2012 and my 2013 always starts on one glow plug cycle and never crank for that long maybe 3 or 4 cranks but thats it.

I really love your video though!

Maybe there's a difference between Canadian and US diesel grade, I don't know

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
I agree with Spyke, your glow plugs are going off way to quickly. They should be on for at least five seconds if not a bit more. That should fire right up the first try. Perhaps swing by your dealer and mention it?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My glow plug cycle is only about 5 seconds at most, even when we were -15F here in Michigan. My glow plug cycle is very similar to the one posted.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Mine rarely takes more than 5 seconds, so it doesn't seem too long. Keep in mind the new ceramic plugs are pretty "high tech". They are of a high speed design and should only take 3-5 seconds regardless of ambient temperature.

Nice video.

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Your video makes me love my Frostheater all the more. My '12 Jetta sat out in that same -15F weather. With the engine already warm because of heater, it started and ran smooth, just like it was summer. But it is nice to know that the car will start if I have to leave it overnight somewhere I can't plug it in.

FedAgent1896

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
Started mine in -32 without a problem...fuel mileage sucks but it started. My Frost Heater gets here next week...can't wait.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I think it did pretty well, but am glad I don't have to do that often.
Why did you wait so long after the glow plug light went out the first time? You gotta start cranking immediately after that light goes out or you will end up having a no start like you did. Next time just get to it. If you sit there and wait like that, the cylinders will cool right back down in that kind of cold.

There's no need to keep turning the ignition on and off. It's a waste of time and battery supply.

Mine has started on the first try every time using the above method. The coldest was 15 below just like you last Monday.

I agree with Spyke, your glow plugs are going off way to quickly. They should be on for at least five seconds if not a bit more.
My light has never been on for 5 seconds. 3 was the highest I've counted. The NMS plugs heat up to well over 1000 degrees within a couple seconds, which is why I suggested to the OP to hit the starter right away after the light goes out.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have never seen a Passat run the glow plug light for longer than 3 dings on the seat belt chime.

Those of you claiming that it should run for 10-15 seconds, please post a video of your Passat running the glow plugs for that long. I suppose it is possible if you are at high altitude, but I have yet to see it happen.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
Why did you wait so long after the glow plug light went out the first time? You gotta start cranking immediately after that light goes out or you will end up having a no start like you did.
I always do start it right when the light goes off. The radio came on and I shut it off (I expected the light to stay on a bit longer) and then I hit the starter. I have never had it not start in about 3 revolutions.

As far as cycling the glow plugs multiple times it totally makes a difference when it is super cold out (if it will not start). Now I'm not sure if the glow plugs burn longer than the light in the dash stays on like my Super Duty which only show the light for a max of 5-10 sec but the GP can burn for about 30 and also cycle in and off for a bit right after starting.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
The glow plugs stay on after the light goes out. The light is just a reminder. My Super Duty glow plugs can stay on for 2 minutes, even after the engine is started. I suspect the VW is the same way and recall reading as much in the manual. The way to know is monitor your voltage, it should spike when the plugs turn off. On the Super Duty, headlight brightness or HVAC fan speed(/volume) can be used as a good substitute for a voltage gauge, but I don't know about these high tech thingamabobbers...

MichaelSNU

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Last week in Connecticut I had to start my 2012 Passat TDI SEL when it was -8°. It turned over the first time with about a 5 second wait after I pressed the start button.

It did not seem to struggle as much as your TDI did, but of course it was not -15°