LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hw version: H21
Sw version: 4369
Map version: 7963

thanks
You have the SSD, and there is technically a newer firmware 5374, but so far I know of nobody other than a Continental dealer that has upgraded 4369 to 5374. Supposedly it is not as straight forward as previous upgrades. The new L units have 5374.

7963 is V6 with 2012Q3 Map Data. 8050 or V7 is the newest with 2013Q1 Map Data. It is a available from Navteq.

Brent4ADV

TDI
2017 Passat 1.8t SEL Premium, 2014 Passat TDI SEL (buyback pending)
Picked up a 2014 SEL yesterday and have a question. Has anyone else done the VIM mod on this Hw and Sw version? General consensus is it's safe for this unit? Thanks.

Hw version: H23
Sw version: 5374
Map version: 8050

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Picked up a 2014 SEL yesterday and have a question. Has anyone else done the VIM mod on this Hw and Sw version? General consensus is it's safe for this unit? Thanks.

Hw version: H23
Sw version: 5374
Map version: 8050

Yes. It works.

Brent4ADV

TDI
2017 Passat 1.8t SEL Premium, 2014 Passat TDI SEL (buyback pending)
VIM is working perfectly! Thanks guys. If you are in the Birmingham area and need someone with VCDS then let me know.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Travel link will work with the demo version of sirius but will no longer work after you have activated the radio with sirius xm canada. Sirius XM Canada does not offer travel link. Also, the demo travel link does not have canadian gas stations or movie listings. It probably doesn't have CFL scores either.
Living in Winnipeg, I was unable to use the traffic function during the demo since Winnipeg doesn't have much traffic (Pop 750K)
IMHO your smartphone is WAY better than the RNS-510. Try https://www.waze.com/ for traffic info.
WHoops. Maybe I should shut the hell up. Travellink appears to work in canada now.

https://siriusxm.ca/SiriusXM-Traffic/Market-Coverage.aspx

Anyway Waze is still a great app.

George56

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd. Gone = 2010 Jetta 2014 Passat
Just traded in my wife's 2010 Jetta TDI and bought her a 2014 Passat TDI sel premium. Of course after discovering the DVD player / VIM interlock on the first night I followed the instructions here and installed the "hack" to get around the speed input. For the first 2 days everything worked perfect. Now the RNS-510 won't display the icon/logo for the various Sirius channels in my presets, it only displays "SXM". Travel link has some major issues now also. When pulling up weather or fuel prices, it displays the right screen for searching, but never searches past a 0.0 mile radius and thus never finds anything. Weather data in the map also just says "loading data" and never actually loads data. I have been round and round with Sirius on the phone, reset the signal twice, reactivated the SAT radio/services, and performed a 3 finger reset of my RNS 510 multiple times. Any advice? The dealer is 40 miles away and are more than likely clueless anyway.

From the hidden setup screen:
HW: H21
SW: 4369
Map: 7963

SAT tuner signal quality:
CO...: Excellent
SAT: Excellent
TERR: No signal

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just traded in my wife's 2010 Jetta TDI and bought her a 2014 Passat TDI sel premium. Of course after discovering the DVD player / VIM interlock on the first night I followed the instructions here and installed the "hack" to get around the speed input. For the first 2 days everything worked perfect. Now the RNS-510 won't display the icon/logo for the various Sirius channels in my presets, it only displays "SXM". Travel link has some major issues now also. When pulling up weather or fuel prices, it displays the right screen for searching, but never searches past a 0.0 mile radius and thus never finds anything. Weather data in the map also just says "loading data" and never actually loads data. I have been round and round with Sirius on the phone, reset the signal twice, reactivated the SAT radio/services, and performed a 3 finger reset of my RNS 510 multiple times. Any advice? The dealer is 40 miles away and are more than likely clueless anyway.

From the hidden setup screen:
HW: H21
SW: 4369
Map: 7963

SAT tuner signal quality:
CO...: Excellent
SAT: Excellent
TERR: No signal
Which Hack did you run? Where did you get the VIM download from?

-Loki

George56

TDI

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I went to myturbodiesel.com before I discovered this forum. The file was named VIM_Berto89. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/thread...deo-in-motion-to-play-dvd-while-driving.7607/

I'm 100% positive that everything was working fine for 2 days after I updated the RNS 510 for the VIM. Then it became screwy as described above.
That is the VIM you needed to install, so good there. On the same website you got the hack, there is a download for a disc to remove the hack. Try that and see if your issues go away. If they don't your unit is having issues, and most likely needs to be replaced.

After you have undone the hack, 3 finger reboot the unit 2 times in a row, then do a reset all, and 3 finger reboot it again.

-Loki

George56

TDI
That is the VIM you needed to install, so good there. On the same website you got the hack, there is a download for a disc to remove the hack. Try that and see if your issues go away. If they don't your unit is having issues, and most likely needs to be replaced.

After you have undone the hack, 3 finger reboot the unit 2 times in a row, then do a reset all, and 3 finger reboot it again.

-Loki
Loki,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did everything as instructed and I refreshed the SAT signal. The VIM DVD hack is verified removed. I didn't get any weird errors during the process. Setup confirms that the same SW/MAPS are loaded as before. Absolutely no change, all problems with Travelink and station logos remain. What is the TERR signal under the SAT setup page? I'm thinking that maybe the "TERR: NO SIGNAL" is the cause. Regardless, 40 miles to the dealer with my 5 day old car :mad::mad::mad: I'll keep you posted with the results...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did everything as instructed and I refreshed the SAT signal. The VIM DVD hack is verified removed. I didn't get any weird errors during the process. Setup confirms that the same SW/MAPS are loaded as before. Absolutely no change, all problems with Travelink and station logos remain. What is the TERR signal under the SAT setup page? I'm thinking that maybe the "TERR: NO SIGNAL" is the cause. Regardless, 40 miles to the dealer with my 5 day old car :mad::mad::mad: I'll keep you posted with the results...
TERR stands for terrestrial, or ground based XM/Sirius repeaters. You will only see those in cities mostly.

Time for a trip to the dealer, sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

George56

TDI
Dealer installed new RNS510 today. Same install as before (H21/4369/7963). No more issues. I'm hesitant though to do the VIM firmware change. Is there a chance that the VIM messed up the previous radio? Any confirmation from anyone that it doesn't mess it up?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Dealer installed new RNS510 today. Same install as before (H21/4369/7963). No more issues. I'm hesitant though to do the VIM firmware change. Is there a chance that the VIM messed up the previous radio? Any confirmation from anyone that it doesn't mess it up?
I did the VIM install a month ago and haven't noticed any issues you're describing.

rorca

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium, Platinum Gray Retired: 2002 Jetta GLS, Galactic Blue
Good Morning Y'all,

I am curious about something. I've installed the firmware and map updates and all is well...very good in fact, but I noticed something I think odd.

Before the update, my unit number was 3C8035684E, and after 3C0035684J. Why, how would this change? Isn't this the part/item number of the actual physical unit?

Inquiring minds want to know.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Good Morning Y'all,

I am curious about something. I've installed the firmware and map updates and all is well...very good in fact, but I noticed something I think odd.

Before the update, my unit number was 3C8035684E, and after 3C0035684J. Why, how would this change? Isn't this the part/item number of the actual physical unit?

all E-H rns-510s will change part numbers internally with 4366...
EX:Address 37: Navigation (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
Part No SW: 3C0 035 684 J HW: 3C0 035 684 G
Component: RNS-MID H02 4366
Revision: AB001001 Serial number: VWZ6Z7M9xxxxxx
Coding: 0409004204000090000B
Shop #: WSC 09003 957 00200
VCID: 2A75E0E045E48064EB-807F

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 7L6 919 859
Component: NAR V7 8050

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Good Morning Y'all,

Sorry, I hadn't replied to your PM!:eek:

What Matt said is dead on. Basically your Hardware version did not change, but your software did, hence the letter change because of the firmware update.

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
Great info. Just picked up a 2014. Came with L and most current maps. Although sometimes I test out the nav and it shows road I'm on but never shows a moving car (me) on screen.

rorca

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium, Platinum Gray Retired: 2002 Jetta GLS, Galactic Blue
Thank you gentlemen for the info...it was driving me a bit loco.

Lokiwolf - No worries. I know you're a busy man. Thanks for all your help!

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I'm trying to get to the secret menu to determine current versions of maps and FW. Holding the setup button does nothing. I most assuredly have a RNS510, but it must be an early version in my 2010 JSW. There is a "phone" button bottom left that just acts as mute. Other than that everything else seems to me normal. I have Bluetooth integration that works well, and would just like to update maps and FW so the touch screen is better and the system works a bit faster.

Can anyone guide me to the secret menu on my unit? I'm wondering if there is another button to hold while holding setup?

I found this thread while doing a search of my problem. I realize this is not the JSW model thread. Maybe you can still help with the RNS510 question.

Last edited:

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
why is it that there are TONS of streets missing off my maps? is that normal? for example, if i turned into any neighborhood it just shows me turning into a solid color area on map. same when i turn into entrance for my base the only thing in the huge solid color area is a base pond. lol

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I can see about the military installation...... when was you neighborhood built? Or is it base housing?

jeffthx

TDI
Passat B7
Trying to get RNS 510 FW/Map upgrade

Hello-- Does someone have the discs that they'd be willing to send (or provide more information about how I can get them)? I've tried reaching out via PM a couple of times without a response. I just bought a used 2012 SEL, and I'd really like to upgrade the unit to take advantage of the feature/speed improvements. I'm on SW version 3690 currently.

Full disclosure: I don't have a TDI; I have the V6. But I linked over to this forum from VWVortex to see if I might be have better luck tracking down this upgrade here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--Jeff

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm trying to get to the secret menu to determine current versions of maps and FW. Holding the setup button does nothing. I most assuredly have a RNS510, but it must be an early version in my 2010 JSW. There is a "phone" button bottom left that just acts as mute. Other than that everything else seems to me normal. I have Bluetooth integration that works well, and would just like to update maps and FW so the touch screen is better and the system works a bit faster.

Can anyone guide me to the secret menu on my unit? I'm wondering if there is another button to hold while holding setup?

I found this thread while doing a search of my problem. I realize this is not the JSW model thread. Maybe you can still help with the RNS510 question.
Older units do not have the Device Info option from the factory. It has to be enabled using VCDS.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hello-- Does someone have the discs that they'd be willing to send (or provide more information about how I can get them)? I've tried reaching out via PM a couple of times without a response. I just bought a used 2012 SEL, and I'd really like to upgrade the unit to take advantage of the feature/speed improvements. I'm on SW version 3690 currently.

Full disclosure: I don't have a TDI; I have the V6. But I linked over to this forum from VWVortex to see if I might be have better luck tracking down this upgrade here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--Jeff
I can no longer send links for maps. Per the post below. It was posted here and in the thread on Vortex. I am sending no links, just so there isn't any confusion.

HERE, the brand management company for Navteq, has sent me a Cease & Desist order. I will no longer provide links to any of the downloads I have been providing. I have amended the first post in the thread to include the link to where the updates can be purchased.

-Loki
There is an eBay seller that can provide you everything you need for an excellent price. Look up 510 updates, and look for AmericanHart. Stand up guy! The discs will work. I highly recommend him.

jeffthx

TDI
Passat B7
I can no longer send links for maps. Per the post below. It was posted here and in the thread on Vortex. I am sending no links, just so there isn't any confusion.
Thanks very much for this info. I totally missed the post that mentioned that. I will check out this seller.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.