Is it normal to smell fumes from the regen cycle in the car?

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Everytime my car does a regen and the fan/AC is on i can smell it in the car. Its noticeable to the point i have to turn off the fan and crack the window. I understand you can smell it when you're stopped and the windows are open.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Well, you neglected to tell us how many miles are on your car but if your fuelly account is correct and you only have 3,000 miles on it you can expect it to get better as it breaks in.

Bill

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I got busy and didn't update the fuelly account in a while. I have close to 17k on the car right now. Does anyone smell this when they are just cruising on the freeway or in town and the windows are up just the AC or fan on ?

jetta rhody

TDI
Jetta MK VI
I get that smell too. Usually first thing when I start up and almost always during a regen cycle. Dealer couldn't find anything though.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
I got busy and didn't update the fuelly account in a while. I have close to 17k on the car right now. Does anyone smell this when they are just cruising on the freeway or in town and the windows are up just the AC or fan on ?
For the first few thousand miles, it was very noticeable- now at 13k I happen to not shut down around a regen, or it has gone.
I assumed there was some factory install lubes, etc. burning off- it was pretty stinky for awhile.
Kinda surprised you can still smell yours, based solely on my experience with mine.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Do you have the A/C on inside or outside air?

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Do you have the A/C on inside or outside air?
This. A temporary solution would be to turn recirculation on. You should be using it anyways once the car gets cooled down. You can even turn it on with the fan at 0 if you're not using the AC.

However, it sounds like others aren't experiencing the smell as long as you have. I would bring it up during your 20,000 mile service and explain to them that the smell shouldn't last this long.

Personally, I never smelled anything from mine and I'm at 33,000 miles.

bucilini

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I generally have the A/C on outside air. I'll bring it up to the dealer at the 20k service. Thanks guys for the input.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I generally have the A/C on outside air. I'll bring it up to the dealer at the 20k service. Thanks guys for the input.
Yah thats probably the issue. It is also much more effecient if you use inside air too. FWIW.