Question about extended mile warranty we bought

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We bought a new 2010 Jetta TDI in May of 2010. We ended up buying some kind of extended warranty to make it 5 years/60k miles. We were told it would include oil changes when we bought it, but today at our 30k service they told us to save for our 40k service since it is going to be $800 roughly. I told them we had that warranty and they are now saying it doesn't include oil changes. I specifically asked when purchasing the warranty if oil changes were included, which they told me yes. They even offered a 6 year/75k mile warranty, but I didn't do it since I'd still have to pay for for the 80k service.

I may be mixing this one up with the gap insurance, but I swear they said if i didn't want it later on that we could cancel it and they woukd pro-rate us back the difference. I'm pissed now because we were told it would include them, and now I have to pay for my next 3 services when they should be free. If they won't honor it I will do my best to get my money back for it. I will look for the information when i get home, but if I have to pay for it then I will just go to a guru if possible.

I guess my question was if i could get my money back for it since i haven't used it. I'll give more information in an hour or so once I get home.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have no idea what the VW extended warranty offers but there are many different warranty companies out there and unless someone has the same one, they likely can't answer.

Post up who the warranty is through. You should have got a pamphlet or something on it when you bought it.

(You can get the 40K service done a good bit cheaper than the dealership). No way they will be doing mine.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
1) The 10k, 20k, and 30k scheduled maintenance had nothing to do with any warranty. It's what they call their "Care-Free Maintenance" plan and it was built-in to the purchase price. It is not free service - it is pre-paid service.
2) An extended warranty is not a warranty at all, it is an insurance policy. It is only as good as the company who sells it and, like all insurance policies, you have to read it carefully before signing it. It very carefully lays out what it will and what it will not pay for. No such policy will cover routine maintenance like oil changes, brake wear, tire wear, etc. If your salesman told you it included regular service he was misinformed or lying (either is possible).
3) Whether an "extended warranty" is worth buying or not, depends on how lucky (or unlucky) you are with your car. Most people will lose money on these, but a few will get their money back and more. Are you feeling lucky?
4) Remember that insurance companies are in the business of making money, not fixing cars. If they had to pay out for repairs on most cars, they would go broke.
5) Also remember that these "extended warranties" are also money makers for the dealers who sell them. Sales commissions can be as high as 50% of the sale price. Good luck getting any significant money back.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just got home and found out what it is called; Preferred Plus Benefits.

That's what it says in the booklet. When they talked to us about this warranty they explained it to us that this would cover all scheduled maintenance till 60k miles, therefore, our first 6 oil changes would be free. That's why I didn't opt for the 6 year/75k mile warranty because I would still have to pay that big 80k service.

The plan cost $1600, sales tax an extra $163.10, and the final price was $1763.10. We were able to get a full refund within the first 30 days, but after that it would be prorated. I guess I'll have to call VW and ***** since they verbally told us and physically showed us what scheduled maintenance we'd get in the booklet. If they don't want want to give us them then I'll cancel the MPP plan we purchased and try to get all our money back; I know it won't be happening.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Did they say yes you bought a plan, but it's not covering what your phamplet says? Or more likely they just said what they say to everyone coming off the not so carefree free service? When I bought one of these plans on my Nissan they presented me a Service bill and they told me it was up to me to tell them what was covered. I'm not sure the service writer ever got hearing back in his left ear.

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I didn't get it in writing. I know that's where I messed up now because it was only a 'verbal contract.' That's why I'll more than likely have to just cancel it and hope we don't get dicked out of too much money from that $1763.10 we paid.

When he told us to save for our next service because it wasn't cheap, we told him we bought the extended warranty. He then told us it doesn't cover scheduled maintenance. I didn't have the booklet or anything in the car, so we just left. We just got home an hour ago, so I was finally able to look at booklets we have.

If they don't give us the services for free, then I'll just cancel and it looks like I'll be able to do Malone tuning faster than I planned.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When he told us to save for our next service because it wasn't cheap, we told him we bought the extended warranty. He then told us it doesn't cover scheduled maintenance.
As a general rule, the most expensive place to have service done is at a dealership (this is not only about VW). Add to this reality, the fact that VW dealers are not always known for their quality of workmanship. As soon as your normal warranty is up, your best bet is to find a local shop that specializes in VWs and never go back to the dealership except for parts (or maybe collision repair).

From your $800 estimate, I will assume that you have a DSG. If you shop around (non dealer) you should be able to get DSG service for about $250 (and about half that if you do it yourself). Other than this DSG service, everything else is easy, just oil and a few filters to change and some inspections, tire rotations, etc. You ought to be able to get a good 40 service for closer to $500. Is there a "trusted mechanic" anywhere near you?
https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1Lucw8ALCkLtt79MMw9JOG1E_dX57-raBhbhIFdtHnEQ&pli=1

Have Fun!

Don

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm in Auburndale, FL, which is between Tampa and Orlando. I didn't look at the list, but I think 150mpg is In Apopka. I was gonna try to give him a call and then the Tampa guy.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I forgot to mention.... Most "extended warranties" do not require you to get service from the dealer. They will usually pay for service at any other qualified service place too. Therefore the decision on where to get your service done is totally separate from the decision on what to do about the insurance policy you bought.

Have Fun!

Don

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I can't tell. Is this actually a VW warranty or an aftermarket warranty? If it's not a VW warranty it's not likely going to do any good calling VW.

But based upon what the pamphlet says, I'm not sure that they can argue that none of the 40K service is covered. They may claim some of it isn't.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
You were sold this and need to submit a claim through them. This has nothing to do with VW.
http://www.mpp.com/warranty-plans/preferred-plus-vehicle-coverage.htm
To my knowledge VWOA does not offer/sell any warranty(beyond factory warranty). Dealerships often offer third party warranty. The dealership get a commission for selling it.
Only thing I can offer is "Good Luck", I am sure there is some
3rd party that are reputable, but that would be the exception. Most are
nothing more than a scam.
The salesman or the finance guy will always try to sell one, little extra cash in their pocket.
Obviously $1700 is gonna cover a lot of maint and repair-have to really
weigh that out at purchase time. Of course too late now.
Hope you can get your money back- but don't hold your breath- you will turn blue

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
As a general rule, the most expensive place to have service done is at a dealership (this is not only about VW). Add to this reality, the fact that VW dealers are not always known for their quality of workmanship. As soon as your normal warranty is up, your best bet is to find a local shop that specializes in VWs and never go back to the dealership except for parts (or maybe collision repair).

From your $800 estimate, I will assume that you have a DSG. If you shop around (non dealer) you should be able to get DSG service for about $250 (and about half that if you do it yourself). Other than this DSG service, everything else is easy, just oil and a few filters to change and some inspections, tire rotations, etc. You ought to be able to get a good 40 service for closer to $500. Is there a "trusted mechanic" anywhere near you?
https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1Lucw8ALCkLtt79MMw9JOG1E_dX57-raBhbhIFdtHnEQ&pli=1

Have Fun!

Don
There is one advantage to having all the work done at the dealer. When it comes time to sell your car, you can advertise "complete service history all work done at dealer". IMHO this is worth more than saying "work done at independent shop".

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You were sold this and need to submit a claim through them. This has nothing to do with VW.
http://www.mpp.com/warranty-plans/preferred-plus-vehicle-coverage.htm

Yes, that is what I was sold. I still have the booklet they gave me that states everything on that page. I will call MPP tomorrow or in the next few days when I get a chance to see what the deal is.

I prefer to keep everything at the dealer, BUT, if I can not get my next 3 services done for free then I will be done with them.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
VW and MPP are now saying they will only cover the oil change and tire rotation, but not the rest of the 40k service. I talked to the lady that sold us the plan and she said she never told us that the warranty would cover the 40k service. She pissed me off because she did in fact tell US it would. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it or get back the prorated difference.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Read Documentation

VW and MPP are now saying they will only cover the oil change and tire rotation,...
The outside of the booklet that you posted in post #4 says that it only covers oil changes and tire rotations. Didn't you read what you paid $1,700 for? I don't think you have anything to complain about. It's not someone else's fault that you did not read what came with the service contract. The oil change and tire rotation language wasn't hidden in small print somewhere. It was right there on the cover.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The outside of the booklet that you posted in post #4 says that it only covers oil changes and tire rotations. Didn't you read what you paid $1,700 for? I don't think you have anything to complain about. It's not someone else's fault that you did not read what came with the service contract. The oil change and tire rotation language wasn't hidden in small print somewhere. It was right there on the cover.
It is and one should read things like this before buying them but it's not unheard of for the finance person to stretch the truth here.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I read it and asked if this covers all services for 60k miles and was told Yes. I did read it, so that's why I asked that. I even mentioned the 40k service being expensive and stated that's one of the reasons why we were interested in it if this warranty would cover it. Again, we were told we wouldn't have to pay for any of our first 6 services (5 year/60k mile).

Even while at the dealership after getting the 30k service done he told us to save. We said we had the extended warranty and he said it doesn't cover any of those services. I don't know why he'd say that when it includes oil and tire rotation. I had to call MPP for them to say yes, they shouldn't charge me that and it should be taken off the total price. MPP said they would have to just be billed seperately for that, but I shouldn't be charged. After that I called VW and then they decided to tell me that I won't be billed for the oil change when I told them what MPP said.

I'm not so mad anymore, but still deciding if I want to keep it or just get the pro-rated difference back. I wouldn't mind keeping the DPF, but if I do Malone tuning with the DPF tune I don't think they would honor the warranty. I'm almost certain if I do a DPF delete tune they definitely wouldn't. I'll think about it for the next few days and decide what I wanna do.

ltdolan

TDI
Jetta
I was told the same thing when I bought the seven year extended warranty - I specifically asked if it would cover the standard maintenance up to 70K as well as all oil changes, and I was told yes. In fact, that was the way they talked me into it.

Now, today, at 38K, I was told by the dealer that it doesn't cover any maintenance plans or even the oil change (I guess I'll have to dispute the oil change charge). I'm wondering how many other people this happened to at the time they bought their Jetta - seems like from what I've been reading this has happened to others, and may be an indication of a larger fraud issue either with VW, their individual sales teams, or with the warranty company.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
There is a distinction between repairs and maintenance that is not necessarily clear to many. This is where the finance guy who sold this really didn't do a good job explaining things. Repairs are what you do when something breaks. Maintenance is what you do to keep things running better longer. Oil changes are not repairs. This should have been made clear. Extended warranties are not pre-paid maintenance plans. Implying they are is deceptive marketing. Before you through the baby out with the bath water, do a read through of what you have. Compare it to VW's existing warranty. Consider whether it makes sense to keep the insurance policy you have

The official VW extended is rebranded Fidelity. I have a Fidelity extended on my Jeep. It's saved me a bundle so far. No issues no debates by the Jeep dealership. All plans are basically specialized insurance policies.

Last edited: