www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 17:10   #1
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Default Driver door won't lock

The driver door on my 2013 TDI SEL won't lock with the key fob or the handle. I can pop the cover off of the door handle to use the manual lock, but that's a pain. I'm assuming that it's the door lock actuator. I know that it was a common problem on the earlier VW's. Has anyone tried to repair the part instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new one? I plan to sell the car back to VW so I really don't want to put any more money into it since I had to buy a new Adblue heater recently.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 21:55   #2
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

I have fixed mine, but from what I have read here the newer cars, 2012+, the actuator assemblies are glued and/or riveted together instead of screws like on mine. so you end up having to replace the actuator assy. I know not what you wanted to hear. sorry. can always hold out hope someone else will chime in and say I'm wrong.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:49   #3
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I found a used actuator from a 2014 Passat for $50 shipped. Hopefully it holds out until the buyback. Last night my wife told me that it hasn't been locking for a few weeks. That would have been good to know.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:26   #4
Machster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
The driver door on my 2013 TDI SEL won't lock with the key fob or the handle. I can pop the cover off of the door handle to use the manual lock, but that's a pain. I'm assuming that it's the door lock actuator. I know that it was a common problem on the earlier VW's. Has anyone tried to repair the part instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new one? I plan to sell the car back to VW so I really don't want to put any more money into it since I had to buy a new Adblue heater recently.
Did you replace the keyfob batteries?
Machster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 14:00   #5
BarryT82
Veteran Member

The keyfob works fine. All of the other doors lock/unlock and the car starts.
Old October 26th, 2017, 18:35   #6
PaulB
Veteran Member

I have a similar problem, except that I can't lock the door even using the lock cylinder. If I try to lock, the rest of the doors lock, not the driver door. The led on the door flashes for about 6 times, then turns on for half a minute.

This is pretty annoying. I was hoping the manual lock actually would lock the door. Maybe some lever fell off, or something.

I am going to have to figure out how to take the inner cover off the door to see what is going on there. I'll search around...

PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:35   #7
roni024
Veteran Member

Check my post here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...28#post5322028
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:17   #8
PaulB
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. As I understand it, you are drilling holes in the actuator itself? So I'm guessing you removed the actuator from the door?

I got the inner panel off, and that black port to the actuator off too. Guess I'll try removing the actuator now.

My other option is just to sell back the damn thing back to VW without telling them the door doesn't lock. I'm guessing next time I get a DEQ inspection on this car, it's going to fail... (I'm not up to date with the resolution of the settlement).

Last edited by PaulB; October 27th, 2017 at 12:20.
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 05:13   #9
roni024
Veteran Member

I drilled holes through the shell of the actuator assembly, but I don't think it was necessary. Silicone spray lube comes out kinda foamy when you blast it in, and it should get where it needs to be without drilled holes.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote