Air Bag Recall ?

Layne12gun

TDI
2014 Passat
Last week I got a recall on my 2014 Passat in reference to Takata Airbags installed in the vehicle. Called the dealership and they said there is no fix as yet. That " they " will lets us know when a fix is available then notify us when to bring to car in. Has any one else heard of this ??

Did not know where to post this so I though I'd try here.

Layne12gun

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This is the same Takata airbag problem affecting hundreds of thousands of cars right now.

As I understand it ours were made late enough in the game that they contain some dessicant. Hopefully that keeps the ammonium nitrate dry enough it doesn't explode too quick and kill you.

-J

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
From consumer Reports: "...Through various announcements, the recall has tripled in size over the past year. It currently stands at more than 100 million vehicles worldwide with airbag inflators needing to be replaced before 2019..."

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
VW got it figured out for us.... just recall the whole vehicle Oh look...today is the day that it was supposed to be...OK - we hang on for ANOTHER week!

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm torn - part of me wants the buyback due to my current mileage on the car (over 100k) so no warranty and let's be honest the repairs are expensive, part of me wants to keep it - hard to find a car that regularly gets over 50mpgs and has a large tank

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'm with you there. My Jetta, yeah it has about 100,000 miles and several issues, including non-working A/C. My Passat, I'm torn. I'm at about 25,000 miles and other than a rattle in the B pillar the dealer hasn't been able to find, I enjoy the car.

However, I miss my Tiguan and will likely take a buy-back offer on it as well. VW is supposed to have the new Mexican built Tiguan early next year, and the production CrossBlue out of Tennessee even sooner. Just waiting to see what my options are. It's entirely possible I leave VW for another brand, but it will depend solely on what's available when the time comes.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Segment on this on the CBC in Canada,, their employees have to sit in the back seats of cars with airbag recalls..
And also, for those trying to import a car, You had to have all recalls complied with before importing your car to the new country.. Hard to do when there is 3 on the Passat with no fix in place...

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Segment on this on the CBC in Canada,, their employees have to sit in the back seats of cars with airbag recalls..
And also, for those trying to import a car, You had to have all recalls complied with before importing your car to the new country.. Hard to do when there is 3 on the Passat with no fix in place...
HAHAHA - where does the driver sit??? :)