B7 6sp M clutch pedal clicking noise

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Anyone driving a 6spM that all of a sudden had noticed a clicking noise (1st. Inch of travel) when depressing the clutch peddle? I started to hear it when the outside temps consistently dropped below freezing. The noise disappeared after a long while driving with the heat on. My first thought that it may be the hydraulic valve- I don't even know if my car was engineered this way. Any theories out there ? My car goes in on Tuesday for it's next 10k mile maintenance & DEF top-off

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM-Black/Black/Dark Tint

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Got it. Thanks. A bushing would certainly make sense. And my first thought was a hydraulic valve - similar to what my Saab had.

When I take it in Tuesday morning I'll strongly encourage the Service Writer to thoroughly use their resources if they don't have a readily available solution.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Mine starts around 22*, above that, nothing.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Sure, today the temps are in the 50's and the clicking is non-existent.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
So, today I brought my TDI in for scheduled 10k mileage lube, oil, and filter. I spoke with the Service Manager about the "Click" phenomenon by the clutch peddle during cold temps. He nodded in acknowledgement that he has had a few customer complaints and that his service team UNSUCCESSFULLY replaced all components of one customer's clutch peddle assembly. He had escalated it to VW and he was told by them that they haven't figured out the problem and that I'd have to wait for the cabin area to warm sufficiently to eliminate the clicking. He looked me right in the eye when he said that.

I will never play poker with that guy!

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
My dealer also said it's normal and said the tech drove a JSW TDI 6mt that also had this useless feature. Oh well, the click itself doesn't bother me as much as the possibility of a failing master cylinder, but I've got it documented and have the extended warranty, so not too worried.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I've had that same clicking in the peddle at temps. below 46F. The Service Mngr. said that VW was aware of the issue but didn't have a fix. All I could say in response to him was... REALLY? I could have launched into a diatribe but rethought the potential consequences. ISO 9000 principles wouldn't allow for that.

I just turned 40k miles and continue to love the car. I stated a while ago that I switched back to Sunoco fuel and my hwy MPG's went right up into the low 50's. I over anal-ized the potential cause & effects too much. It was the fuel

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM