PSA: Weird, fast onset vibration? Check your wheels for snow and ice...

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Coming home today my Passat started vibrating badly at highway speeds - approaching 50MPH through 75MPH. I didn't really feel it in the steering wheel but the whole car shook, especially when accelerating. Probably was that way for about 30 miles.

Confirming a suspicion, I got it home and the 18" wheels had snow and ice built up on the inside rim. Chicago got pelted with snow for the 148th time this winter last night and today.

A little snow brush action to clear both the wheels and wheel wells of built up snow and ice took care of the issue. I took it for an expressway cruise and it rode like new again (It should.. it's only got 3500 miles :p ) I've never seen this on any of my other TDIs, but none have had such large wheels and low profile tires. I'm sure a lot of you may know this or have been there, but hopefully this helps someone out...

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Truth.

I never had an issue with snow build up in the wheels causing vibration on any vehicle I've ever owned until the NMS. It'll turn into a paint shaker if you've got enough in there. I've had to pull over and chisel it out of there a couple times.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Funny, I've had the issue on my BMW in the past, but my Passat with the 17" wheels hasn't had any buildup at all this season. We have received our share of snow... and bitter cold temps, already -5F again this evening...

Reading this and a few other threads it seems more common on the cars equipped with the 18"s...

The brush usually does the trick! :)