P235-55-R17 tires

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Question.....Our 2013 Passat has 215-55-R17's on it. My wife's co-worker gave her a set of (4) 235-55-R17's with about 20,000 miles use on them (i.e. a lot of tread left on them) I know it may throw the speedo off a bit but I was wondering if they would fit when I eventually have to replace the tires that are now on the car?

Thanks,

Glenn

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
You shouldn't have any problems. I don't see why it would throw off the speedo. I think the oem rims are 17x7 and fit up to 245 at least. FREE TIRES....:)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
They are taller, so they will certainly affect your speedo, but they should work just fine (you will be going faster than indicated, so be careful), Personally, I'd skip them to keep the correct size (or sell them!), but free tires are pretty sweet.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
They will be slightly taller and slightly wider, but Free tires are Free tires! Use a GPS to confirm speed difference and drive happy!

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
Here's how it works:

A really mini car should have 10" wheels.

A sub-compact car should have 12" wheels.

A compact car should have 13" wheels.

A mid-size car should have 14" wheels.

A huge, full size car should have 15" wheels.

17" wheels on a little VW??? You must be out of your mind!!! :p:p:p

Papa Woody

TDI
2014 Passat Tdi SEL Premium
There is an adjustment for snow tires that allows you to adjust the speedometer from -5% to +5%. You can make this adjustment with the steering wheel controls in the MFI display.
Adios,
Woody

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
^ I knew I saw a speed adjustment somewhere. Didn't know it was in the snow tires.

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
There is an adjustment for snow tires that allows you to adjust the speedometer from -5% to +5%. You can make this adjustment with the steering wheel controls in the MFI display.
Adios,
Woody
Really? Where in the MFI?

The only thing I know of is the winter tire speed alert on my 2012 and 2013 in the MFI.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Do some research on those free tires. They will cost $60-80 to mount and balance. 20k miles may not have "plenty of tread left". I wouldn't do it if they are anything like our Passat OEM tires that only last 40k with relatively poor performance.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Adios,
Woody
No sir, that is not correct. The "Snow Tires" menu in the MFI lets you set a speed warning if your snow tires are rated for a lower speed than your regular tires.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Do some research on those free tires. They will cost $60-80 to mount and balance. 20k miles may not have "plenty of tread left". I wouldn't do it if they are anything like our Passat OEM tires that only last 40k with relatively poor performance.
My Conti's have 33k on them, and probably have 3/8 of their life left. I figure now that I have snows, I'll get another summer out of them.