South Florida GTG #12 for VW/Audi - Feb 28, 2004!

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
That’s right…the time is coming once again for the official South Florida Get Together for VW/Audi enthusiasts! Our next event has been scheduled for February 28, 2004, a Saturday, to officially begin at 11:00AM. We will again hold the event at Markham Park in western Broward County, which provides an excellent high-visibility central Florida location with easy access from I-75, I-95, Sawgrass Expressway, and the Florida Turnpike!

The event is open to all VW and Audi enthusiasts. The main-grounds parking will be reserved for owners/drivers of air-cooled or water-cooled Volkswagen or Audi models of any vintage. Parking is available along the perimeter of the event for non-VW or Audi driving guests.

The South Florida Get Together remains unique among car shows and GTGs by remaining FREE to attend and open to all ages! Markham Park has a $1.00 admission fee; parking and access to the event grounds is free. Food and drinks will be available - for $5 you can purchase a food ticket which will give you unlimited food and drink as long as supplies last - AND entry into our raffle giveaway! Our unique (and collectible) T-shirts will be available before and during the event; watch for a separate thread when the shirts become available, and look for our staff selling the shirts at local weekly or monthly gatherings before the GTG! Dozens of well-known sponsors will be attending the event as vendors, or donating prizes for the raffle. Several vendors will offer installation on-site with their own expert staff. We will post more details about our sponsors and vendors as the event draws closer.

With over 320 cars and over 500 people attending our last show, and more expected for this event, the South Florida Get Together has become one of the largest VW/Audi shows in the U.S.! Euro Tuner magazine has covered the past two events, with a nice multi-page article on the event in the September 2003 issue. The last event was attended from throughout Florida, and as far as Atlanta and North Carolina! With the park located within 30 minutes of South Beach, downtown Miami, or the Fort Lauderdale beaches, out-of-towners can enjoy a full Florida vacation weekend of sun and sea, or nightlife and debauchery! Hotels are also available close to the park in the cities of Weston and Pembroke Pines.

Though we are all enthusiasts, we do not support, tolerate, or endorse ANY reckless driving, speeding, or lawbreaking at the event. Police have been hired for the event, and uniformed police and squad cars will be on-grounds for the day. Our event staff remains voluntary and unpaid, and the event remains non-profit. All money collected goes towards reimbursing staging expenses or organizing the next event.

Additional information, updates, park maps and addresses, and pictures from past events can be found on the event website, at http://www.sflgtg.com.

Post here if you will be planning on attending the event, to help us ensure sufficient staff and supplies to host the GTG, and make it the best ever!

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
This event has been drawing larger and larger crowds...and many now form caravans to come to the event. Most caravans have been specific to location - Miami has the largest; others come in from Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Savannah, and Atlanta. Last event, a few caravans formed based on models or types...with a 7-car TT caravan, and a 30-car Passat caravan!

We have always had some TDIs at the event...but they are here-and-there throughout the grounds. But a TDI caravan could be pretty cool! Either way, I hope to see alot of oil-burners at the event this year...and if you can get a caravan together, even better!

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Cool! Count me in. I believe we can get a caravan organized from the west coast. Thanks for posting here, Justin.

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
Happy to post here. I actually read the forums occasionally, but hadn't registered.

As unbelievable as it may seem, I am a huge TDI fan (Yeah, that's why I am driving one of VW's most gas-inhaling vehicles). I wanted a huge amount of power for a big, midsize car...something that would be luxurious. But if VW would make their bigger diesels available here, I'd be all over them! I am actually drooling at the idea of replacing my MDX with a V10tdi Touareg.

Anyway, a caravan would be great. If you do get one going, let me know in advance so I can post about you guys on our site and in the other VW forums.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Well, looks like Tampa needs representing, so I must do what I must do, right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif (Besides, Jeff told me there was a H /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif ters nearby......)

Keith

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
Keith...if you haven't already, check with the guys at www.tampaveedubs.com, as they always organize a respectable caravan down this way. If you can get a TDI caravan going, great - but if not, just add in any TDIers with that caravan if you'd like.

If you are a member of the tampaveedubs group or already know them, then ignore me! Just want to make sure everybody knows everybody here in the VW community!

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
ahh sweet, thanks for the advance, im deffenently going, will be driving the tdi, was wondering if the tdi's kindof park next to eachother or not?

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
Well, the TDIs haven't parked next to eachother in the past, I think for several reasons.

First of all, we haven't had too many yet - usually around 10-15 or so total by the end of the day. I'd love to see the numbers increase.

Secondly, and more importantly, is that most of the TDIs who do come are part of a larger caravan, which tend to organize out of most major cities. So people with a TDI in Miami tend to join the Miami caravan, Atlantans join the Atlanta caravan, etc.

Third - We've not previously posted on the TDI boards, so most people found out about us through vwvortex, clubb5, and other large multi-model and less-specific sites.

This past event saw the first concerted effort to start a model- or trim-specific caravan for the event, when the B5 (Passat) guys decided to meet on their own from the three county area down here, and caravan into the event. They ended up with a beautiful caravan of over 30 Passats, and all parked in a row.

The Audi TT guys also came together, but there were only about 7-10 of them.

Give a caravan of TDIs a thought and see if one comes together. Otherwise, there will be plenty of other caravans from various locations to join, or you can just come on your own as more than 1/2 of the participants do anyway!

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Looking for a caravan to join from Tampa area. Preferably TDi's. Have gone to a couple of www.tampaveedubs.com GTG's and not to thrilled about driving down with those guys. No offense to anyone who is in TVD, though.

Will also have an Audi A4 with me (my brother and his fiancee).

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Ok, I have a few VWs from the Sarasota/Venice area that will be joining me in a caravan. I know we can count on several members from Tampa as well. Last time we met at the Cracker Barrel restaurant on Kings Hwy Exit 170. Depending upon how early the Tampa group wants to start out, we can set a time for this final staging before the jaunt across the alley.

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
Good to hear! I'd still love to see (or hear) a TDI caravan, but if we can get 20 or 30 TDIs in the crowd, that will still be nice.

Quick update information: Besides our title sponsors, APR and Gunther VW, we can confirm some additional sponsors/vendors for the event:

Forge Motorsport, Unforgettable Sound and Performance, CEC Wheels/Oettinger, Eurotuner Magazine, vwfixx.com, sflb5.com, vwvortex.com, and Autobahn Touring.

There will be a few more too...we just can't confirm them yet until everything is a lock.

Also - caravans have been confirmed from throughout Florida, as well as Atlanta, the Carolinas (Charleston area and Charlotte area), the Washington DC metro area, and the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area. If you were considering the drive from these areas, you can find more information about those caravans in the South Florida Get Together forum in vwvortex, or by contacting any of the organizers through our website.

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Ok Diesel fans, the event officially starts at 11:00am. I am up for an early start, but that depends on how early the Tampa area crowd wants to start. We can have our final staging at Cracker Barrell restaurant Exit 170 (Kings Hwy in Pt Charlotte). If we meet at 8:00am, have breakfast, roll by 9, that would put us at the GTG about 11:30.
Let me know what you think!

zackiedawg

TDI
W8 Variant, 2003, Black
17 more days, folks! Organizing this monster has kept me off the boards a bit...so here's the updates so far.

Sponsors and vendors so far: APR, Gunther VW Of Coconut Creek, Forge Motorsports, CEC Wheels, D&N Performance, Unforgettable Sound and Performance, LR Engineering, EuroTuner Magazine, VWFixx.com, VWVortex.com,
Autobahn Touring, Jax Dubs, and SFLB5.com.

Our organizer Steve's got a few more up his sleeve, so I'll post 'em when I know 'em.

Confirmed caravan departure points: Boca Raton, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta GA, Charleston SC, and Exton PA (including New Jersey caravanners). If you would like to come down from those areas, or would like to know if and when a caravan will be passing through or near your town, post here and we can give you the links to the threads or information for those caravans.

Coverage - Euro Tuner will be covering the GTG as last year, so primp your car nicely to see if you can get in the magazine! Also, there will be two independent filmmakers filming documentaries at the event - so you'll have plenty of chances for you or your car to be a star (guys, you'll have to make your car look really hot...girls, you only have to wear a bikini)

Chris Green has set up a dyno group for the day of the event...it will be held at a shop just a few miles from the park. If you are interested, post interest here for links to the thread or Chris' e-mail.

There are events and happenings the day before, the day of, and the day after the event...to make an entire weekend of entertainment, and justify the trip for the many out-of-staters coming in this time. So you can look up the threads for the Friday night pre-GTG party hosted by the sflb5.com gang, the South Beach tour on Saturday night being organized by Lou and the Autobahn Touring gang, and the Sunday golf day by the sflb5.com gang.

Wow. All this from a simple meeting of 3 Passats in a Hooters parking lot 3 years ago!

Looking forward to a TDI invasion!

Benjibird

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey (del. Oct 16/04)
I wish my holiday was a little sooner! My wife and I will be in the Tampa to Naples area the third week of March. Good luck with your GTG.

Is biodiesel available in that area? I'd like to try a tank. If anybody can suggest a location, It would be appreciated. Thanks!

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Benjibird, there's a place here in Tampa, Ward's Oil, that sells Bio. Last time I checked, they were about $2.15 a gallon...

Let us know when you're down this way, and maybe we'll do a little weekend mini-GTG. There are some great TDIers in this area, and they don't need much excuse to get together and drink some beer and eat some pizza...and sometimes, we even manage to turn some wrenches! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Beer? H /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gifters?? I am SO there!!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

JettaJedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL 5 spd, 2003 Jetta TDI GL 4dr 5 spd, 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition
sounds like fun!!! It's only 150 miles or so from exit 170 so 2 hours or less (based on past experience) /images/graemlins/grin.gif ought to do it !

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
<font color="red"> OMG!! 2 more days!! </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
omygod, mapquest says 4 hours, maps.yahoo takes a different way, shorter miles, but 5 hours, sorry but i wont be making it this year, if i didnt have to work on sunday or friday i would have, hope everyone has a good time and takes alot of pics

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Wow!! What a great time! There were some awesome rides there and best of all, my TDI friends!! How was H /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gifters Jeff & Keith?

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
LuvADub asked, [ QUOTE ]
How was H /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif ters Jeff & Keith?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the beauty of H /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif ters...it's always consistent, no matter where you are! /images/graemlins/wink.gif