Passat vs Jetta pros/cons

Bud Scott

I'm new here and am thinking of taking the plunge with a TDI soon (soon as I unload a pickup). I understand that Passats are not TDI after 1997. Other than age and milage what can you vetrans tell me about roominess, handling etc. I want both good and bad of Passat and Jetta. I am currently leaning toward a Passat wagon but they are hard to find.

Thanks

Bud

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I have one of each (a 2001 Jetta TDI, and a 1996 Passat Wagon TDI).

I find that the Passat Wagon is unsurpassed in its versatility while achieving outstanding mileage.

The Jetta, however, is a heck of a lot more comfortable, handles better, and is more fun to drive...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Bud, the MkIV cars are somewhat more refined when compared to the earlier cars. On the flip side, the earlier cars may be more reliable and are somewhat easier to work on. It's really tough to say one is "better" than the other.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
I also have one of each...2002 Jetta and a 1996 Passat wagon. The Jetta is an automatic.
The Passat imho is the better handling car. But, you can really detect the refinement in the Jetta.
If you ever really need a back seat for adults for anything beyond 20 minutes, get a Passat, while the front seat passengers in a jetta will have a hard time believing your car is a diesel.
There, 2 cents worth.
Rodg

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta
I also have 1 of each but my Jetta is a '98 or A3 or MkIII just to confuse you. Pros for the A3 compared to an A4, would be better reliability(although they are older), lighter so quicker(very fun chipped), quicker handling, a litte more trunk and maybe back seat room, simpler to work on and cheaper to buy and keep. Cons would be more road and engine noise than both the A4 and the Passat, older styling and less refined interior.

Good Luck

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
One more person that has 1 of each.....
I echo the feelings of others who have posted in this thread.
Mine are both Tornado Red! and boy do I like that color!

[ January 28, 2003, 12:12: Message edited by: tomo366 ]

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
Hello Bud!

Welcome to the club. Little Diesel Mama has a B4 Passat TDI while I have a A4 Jetta TDI. The Passat is more roomy, but the Jetta is more refined inside and out. I have had more trouble out of the Passat than the Jetta. My advice would be to wait till the 4th quarter of this year and check out the new Passat TDI that is widely reported to be introduced. Even if you do not like it, or are unwilling to purchase a new vehicle, it should take some of the upward pricing pressure off of the B4 TDIs.

[ January 26, 2003, 18:50: Message edited by: Rob_from_Elkmont ]

NadaGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I am "short-waisted" in clothing circles, which means I have a long torso from top of head to my butt. Sitting in a Jetta means my head engaging the ceiling ..... whereas sitting in my '97 Passat means some head clearance. The decision was EASY for me! :)

Mike .... Loving my '97 Passat TDI!