My SRP (Stealth Race Pipe) 'How to'

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My SRP (Stealth Race Pipe) \'How to\'

Since my EGR has been non functioning since I bought the car (bad N-18 valve), I decided I didn't really need the EGR in there anymore. But I am also a cheap bugger and even though Dieselgeek has a nice looking race pipe, I can't afford one. So I thought I would make one myself by gutting a stock EGR valve. It is cheap and also still retains the anti shudder valve which is something the real race pipe cannot. It also looks stock, thus the stealth factor.

I am doing an intake cleaning this weekend, so I am prepping the SRP to swap in then. I bought a used EGR from another member for experimentation purposes. This is what it looked like out of the box:

Here is after a quick cleaning:

It's a lot less restrictive after the cleaning, but that valve body & plunger are still quite prominent. So I cut it out. I just used a small hack saw to cut through it:

Here is the EGR with the plunger out:

There is a steel insert that acts as a seat for the plunger. I wanted to remove it so I could file down the hump that is there (its easier to file aluminum than steel). I just used a socket that was just slightly smaller than the insert and punched it out:

Here are all the parts removed:

I did some filing to make the inside diameter a little smoother. I also plan to get the hole welded up for a completely smooth inside diameter. If I can't get it welded cheap, I may try JB Weld to block it off. I could just put a block off plate in there, but that wouldn't be as smooth, so I will fill the hole & hone out the inside of the valve once its finished. For now, here are before & after pics:

I posted this in the Performance section because it will allow more air into the intake. Whether it does anything or not, time will tell, but it can't hurt. I know it is environmentally unfriendly to remove the EGR, but as I said, it was non operational when I bought the car, so whats the difference? I also use low sulphur fuel in a B20 mix, so it is not all that bad, is it? I will have my original EGR to swap back in if I need to.

Now I just need an OMI (Oldman Intake) to go with it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: Here is the finished product:

DISCLAIMER: This mod is for OFF ROAD use only

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

So if this was done to a car with a working/vag modified EGR system you would not get a CEL I think, am I correct?

Good Idea!

-Jack

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

It depends on what year your car is. Many people have tried to simply unplug the vacuum line to the EGR & insert a golf tee in the hose to disable it. This would always throw a code. But if the adaptation was done via Vag-com, some people did not get codes anymore and some did. It seems as though the pre 2001 cars were fine, but the newer ones had CEL issues with the vacuum line plugged. I may be wrong about that, but those were my observations while reading many posts about the EGR adaptation & disabling it.

I can speak from my own (and another member I know with a 2000) experience that the vacuum line can be blocked and no coded thrown after the adaptation on our cars. The reason I knew my EGR was non functional was because it would throw an EGR code. At my first GTG (before I had my own Vag-com), I had my EGR adapted & no more CEL's since and its been 1 1/2 tears since my first GTG. I pulled the vacuum line off the EGR while the car was running and no vacuum. So my guess is that the N-18 valve was not working, thus throwing the code. But with the adaptation, it was not requesting enough duty cycle to throw the CEL, even though it was providing NO duty cycle.

If your considering this mod, the best way to find out is to unplug & block off the Vacuum line (already adapted of course) & see if you get the code before hacking anything apart.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

Well I have an 03' so plugging the vac line might not work. However I was actually thinking about leaving the vac line hooked up, it would just not be able to controll anything since the rod that opens the valve to let exahaust in is gone, I should have been a little more specific in my first post. Would I get a CEL with that setup?

-Jack

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

The ecm compares air flow reported by the maf to what it thinks it should be and adjusts egr accordingly. If there is no change in egr flow, it's zero for sure /images/graemlins/smile.gif , it wouldn't be able to trim the air flow no matter how hard it tried, and would light a cel for you. I used to get a cel once in a while when it was adapted, but different cars react differently, I guess.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

what is the ID of the plunger seat/gas inlet? you could thread it, and use it as a boost gauge port or just run a pipe plug up into it.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II

I have 99.5 TDI with a VAG'ed EGR. I wonder if I could do this and not get a CEL. Might be something to try with a used EGR. Glad to see you are experimenting with this.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

[ QUOTE ]
what is the ID of the plunger seat/gas inlet? you could thread it, and use it as a boost gauge port or just run a pipe plug up into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ID of the hole with the steel insert punched out is about 2cm. I thought of using it as a boost gauge tap. I was going to just put a block off plate over the hole & tap the plate for the boost fitting. But I wasn't sure how the cavity would affect airflow? But the pipe plug is a good idea. Easier than welding and reversable too. I like it. I will go to Home depot after work & see what I can find to plug it with. I could tap it & thread in the plug. Do they make aluminum plugs? How about plastic? I only ask because it will be easier to file & smooth out than a steel plug. I'll see what I can find.

major-poser

Veteran Member
TDI
LukybearBIGDL

why not cut off the flange, and purchase some aluminum pipe, same diameter as the rubber elbow, weld the two aluminum pieces together? and you'll have your own none stealth race pipe.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

how about this...

if you want to keep it "stealth"

install the OEM flex pipe in the factory location but instead of using the gaskets use a blank off plate - a few CMs of the tool you were using to punch out the 'seat' would work... bolt it to the solid plate and be done... REALLY give the appearance of being stock...

If ya gotta weld it and ya can't do it yourself you'd be way ahead just getting some stock alumimum tube and some 1/4" plate stock and making a straight pipe...

major-poser

Veteran Member
TDI
LukybearBIGDL

i really like what i hear gewilli, but i don't quite understand, could you elaborate? cause i really want to do this but i don't know what your saying. and i really do, thank you very much if you can help me

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Whadda ya mean? Elaborate? There are a few other images for home made race pipes that have been posted.

The slick solution is to get a gorgeous DieselGeek Race pipe. CNC aluminum... beautiful bit of work.

Elcheapo model is just getting some stock - both flat and pipe stock and welding the pipe stock - to a flat stock with a hole in the middle and cutting them and drilling them and finishing them...

my hesitation in elaborating more is kinda the (and forgive me if it sounds...i dunno mean/harsh/snooty) fact that if the description i gave isn't enough to start ya making it yourself then maybe ya shouldn't be making it yourself. The description I gave should be more than adequate to make it work. if ya wanna ask very specific questions i can help there... make sense?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
This is what it looked like out of the box:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't let this go - That picture is byself just really cool...

Do you have a nice full resolution one I could have? Nice art work. Might be chance but I like it!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

My reason for doing it stealth is because I want to keep the anti shudder valve. Not only for smooth shutdowns, but for runaway protection also. Plus, its a FREE mod. I just needed to buy some new blades for my saw to cut out the plunger & a file/dremel to smooth out the walls. I will be putting the flex pipe back on with block off plates on each end. I just wanted to fill that cavity so there isn't a lot of turbulence there. I will either tap it & thread in a large bolt & cut it flush with the flange or fill the hole with JB weld. I am just worried about the JB breaking loose & getting sucked into the intake. I'm sure JB & aluminum expand & contract with heat at different rates, so it might be possible that it can break free & get sucked in? I think I will go with a threaded plug.

Mr_Pink

TDI
2001, Golf, Dark Blue

I was just wondering...

If putting on a racepipe can throw a CEL because the ecu does not see a change in flow over the maf, then why not change then source for the egr? Instead of letting in Exhaust gas, would it be possible to reroute and allow clean air from the filter box "before" the maf sensor to Flow into the egr when it opens? Then just block off the exhaust manifold opening.

Just thinking aloud but this may fool the ecu into thinking the egr is working properly without letting the Killer soot back into the intake. Has anyone tried this?

Mike

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is what it looked like out of the box:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a nice full resolution one I could have? Nice art work. Might be chance but I like it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking the same thing, and I look at art all day long! I'm a picture framer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TDIkev

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Baltic Green Jetta 5 Spd

Nigel,
Very nice mod....a DG race pipe but retaining the anti-shudder valve (clever).

Mr Pink,
Air doesn't 'flow' into the EGR, it has to be under higher pressure than what is in the intake manifold and is 'forced' into the intake via the EGR. If you were to route air from the air box to thr egr, when the valve opens it would force exhaust gas into the air box.

The only other way is to have a clean source of air to be pushed into the EGR when it opens (under higher pressure than the intake manifold), thus allowing the maf to see less air...but where would we get that from??

runonbeer

TDI

[ QUOTE ]
so it might be possible that it can break free & get sucked in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh that's no big deal, all you've got to do is..... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was just thinking the same thing, and I look at art all day long! I'm a picture framer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all except for that FORD truck...kinda ruins it for me.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

Thanks Kev.

But Mr Pink did mention a block off plate at the cooler. So if you remove the flex pipe & use a block off plate at the EGR cooler, there are no exhaust gasses going anywhere except the tail pipe. But as far as running a hose from the airbox to the EGR, Kev is right. That won't work either because when the plunger opens, the positively charged (boost)air in the intake will go out through the bottom of the valve where the exhaust gasses used to enter. You would loose boost pressure out of that hole.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, all except for that FORD truck...kinda ruins it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Ford truck is parked there permenantly due to a blown tranny if that makes you feel any better /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Can anyone photochop the picture to make it look like a Toureg? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

runonbeer

TDI

a blown ford tranny! who'da thunk! LOL! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_Pink

TDI
2001, Golf, Dark Blue

I knew i was missing something. Forgot that the egr was under pressure most of the time. opps /images/graemlins/confused.gif

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black

[ QUOTE ]
a blown ford tranny! who'da thunk! LOL! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Robby, I don't think you've got ANY room to talk right now /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

runonbeer

TDI

why? Ford's are dropping like flies all over the country and my engine sucked in a hunk of metal? No correlation of failure rates.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

I decided to go with a plug. I couldn't find one that fit, so I made one. I started with a big bolt, just a wee bit bigger than the hole:

Then I needed to tap the hole so the bolt would fit. But being as cheap as I am, I was not going to buy an expensive tap to use it once, so I used the bolt to make one. I just used my grinder to cut three grooves:

Then I was able to tap the hole. It was not difficult since it was only aluminum I was tapping:

Here is the tapped hole:

I then cut the rest of he bolt into a short piece & cut a groove so I could remove it with a big flat head screwdriver:

Here are the views from inside & outside with the plug in place. Now I just need to smooth out the inside.

Chowder31

damn wingnut...I was just cruising the posts and saw what you did; Making a tap and then a screw out of an old bolt is just awesome. Props to you