Renting a Tuner

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
I'm wondering where I should rent a tuner from. KermaTDI requires an $800 deposit and I think that is way too much. Any where else?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Is it really $800, or is this total price which includes the tune? It's a deposit, you get it back.

Your option is to, yes, see if you can find someone with a cheaper deposit (but, again, you get it back), though it's then a matter of what they charge for rental (you don't get this back), OR you take your car to a tuner (and pay much more).

I opted to by flashers for both cars in case I needed my tunes adjusted.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The deposit is so the "peter peabrain" crowd don't keep stealing thier gear . . . and that figure is likely what it took to do so. Of course it's far more than the tuner is worth - that's the entire point! In all likelihood, it will be nothing more than an $800 hold on your credit card, not actual money, unless, of course, you decide to keep it . . .

- Tim

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
The deposit is so the "peter peabrain" crowd don't keep stealing thier gear . . . and that figure is likely what it took to do so. Of course it's far more than the tuner is worth - that's the entire point! In all likelihood, it will be nothing more than an $800 hold on your credit card, not actual money, unless, of course, you decide to keep it . . .

- Tim
Now that I think of it, buying a tuner might just be a better investment.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just be aware that tuners become VIN-locked to the car you use them on... meaning as long as the tune you purchase is in use:

(a) you can only use them on one car and
(b) they have no resale value

Unloading the tune (and therefore putting your stock software back on your car) unlocks 'em... otherwise they are kinda paperweights.

Obviously it would be a good idea to ping Malone and see what he charges for rental deposts... but at the end of the day it really is just a deposit that you get back. :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Remember, it is just a deposit. It is only there in case you don't return it. In most cases all you really need is a credit card with $800 (or more) credit limit. Most businesses will not actually charge the credit card unless you don't return whatever the deposit was for. In other words, as long as you have some credit available, you don't actually have to put up that $800 in cash. It won't cost you a penny as long as you return the tuner in a timely manor.

Have Fun!

Don