MN Chat Thread

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Minnesota Mike said:
Deafbug cleaned my intake 9 months ago
The pictures I used in the instructions came from this car.

Other than that, I am not sure how to actually diagnose that error code. Seems to me that a number of people are having that same issue if you do a search. So sounds like to me an other instruction document is in needs. Actually more of a checklist since the culprit can be anything. I know VW had one of that. According to the ALLDATA, they have a long list to check/adjust before they even get to the intake manifold. When you simply can just start at the intake manifold. That is the idea of a troubleshooting document I was thinking but not sure how to put it together. And it must go all the way to the end, which is removing the turbo. Drivbiwire already has instructions on cleaning the turbo.

Last edited:

750vfr

Anyone in MN with a chipped TDI?

Does anyone in MN (preferabbly Twin Cities area) have a chipped TDI? And if so, would you take me for a test ride? I'm considering a TDI and would want to chip it. But I'd like to know what to expect before buying a car.

Perhaps this is a bit forward. But I used to drive a chipped 1.8T and wasn't impressed over the stock version. Maybe someone out there is proud enough of their mods to share their experience?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i've got a couple of them :) BEW engine, rocketchip stage2 an auto tranny and one with the .658 5th gear and short shifter - i'm up in bemidji, but often go down to my parents in the western metro area....

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
The problem with chips is that some clutches can't handle it, I've got a box not chip, and I don't run it except for pulling out on the highway. My clutch slips when in use under 2K. Maybe a ride with Burpod or newguy will educate you more. I think if you like acceleration, Chip/injectors/Clutch is a good call.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
maybe i'm lucky with my clutch, or maybe it's how i shift ? who knows. but rc2 in my jetta hasn't slipped yet... ~23k miles on rc2. but i have read of others whose slipped even stock or with only rc1... but you never know how the clutch was treated...

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I think the RC's are built so they don't overpower the clutch at 2K RPM which the box's will do. If I shift at 3K I don't have a problem, but you can't lay the coals to it at 2K without a slip. I just leave if off most of the time, unless I'm pulling out on highway 10 during weekend lake traffic.

Fustigate

TDI
2001 2dr Golf
Hey guys, are any of you from the woodbury area? ive been seeing tdi's over there like crazy. 2-3+ everyday or so. maybe im just looking for them? heh anyways i just thought i would check.

-Dan

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Fustigate said:
Hey guys, are any of you from the woodbury area? ive been seeing tdi's over there like crazy. 2-3+ everyday or so. maybe im just looking for them? heh anyways i just thought i would check.

-Dan
One of them a blue Beetle?

Fustigate

TDI
2001 2dr Golf
yeah i think i saw a blue beetle a couple of times, once on valley creek, and i think on radio. i know for sure one was a tdi because i was stopped at a stop light and could hear it. Most of the tdis i see are in the parking lot at sams club.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Fustigate said:
yeah i think i saw a blue beetle a couple of times, once on valley creek, and i think on radio. i know for sure one was a tdi because i was stopped at a stop light and could hear it. Most of the tdis i see are in the parking lot at sams club.
Did it have a TDIclub plate frame on the back?

Fustigate

TDI
2001 2dr Golf
now that i think of it, it might have. i was turning so i wasnt able to get a good look. your from the area so ill probably see you around, i work over at sams club so im in the area quite a bit, i have a red 2dr golf with steelies and a TDI emblem.

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
New source B99

Folks,
The Northfield Amcon at the intersection of Highway 3 and St. Olaf Avenue is now selling B99 at $2.929 per gallon. There will apparently be a bit of hoopla tomorrow between 11 and 2, with a rep from Sundays Energy on hand with biodiesel info and paraphernalia, cookies from Just Food, etc. This station is on the North side on the West side of the street. Mike

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
passatmrb said:
Folks,
The Northfield Amcon at the intersection of Highway 3 and St. Olaf Avenue is now selling B99 at $2.929 per gallon. There will apparently be a bit of hoopla tomorrow between 11 and 2, with a rep from Sundays Energy on hand with biodiesel info and paraphernalia, cookies from Just Food, etc. This station is on the North side on the West side of the street. Mike
It appears the Wanamingo Farm Coop has the new shipment of bio as well. New source from new plant (80% soy 20% tallow I was told earlier) so be forewarned if you dont care a spare fuel filter.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
There's a minor boatload of TDIs parked in the 3M lots off Century, too. I can think of 4-6 coworkers who have them. No doubt they're buzzing around Woodbury to shop, eat dinner, etc.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
"off-topic" but anyone got a chainsaw in the metro area they'd be willing to lend me for a day next weekend? i'll leave the tank full :) you can test drive my jetta in return :)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Home from Cleveland,

901 miles, 16.2 gallons, running around 67 MPH.

I don't think I can make the 1K club, unless I would run 60.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
greengeeker - thanks for the offer. but we've actually decided just to buy one. we could really use a nicer, more reliable one and i know i'll probably eventually need it when i grow up and become a "home owner" myself :eek: looking at a stihl 260, 270, or 280 w/18" blade...

tdi related - i've been driving ~58-65mph most of this tank, except for ~100 miles of city/suburban driving, accelerating onto higher speeds road i always "hammer down" pretty good :D. 600 miles and at 3/8 tank.... :D

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Just turned over 40k on my A5 Jetta TDI 5 spd - and worried about the clutch. I'm starting to notice more shuddering on take-off (I drive almost 100 miles ea. day, nearly all 35w @ 80+ mph, so not much stop/go). I don't baby it, but I don't beat on my vehicles either - so it's not my driving style.

I'd like to take it in to a dealer and have them inspect the clutch/DMF for the record; I bought the car from Westside, but it hasn't been back since I bought it.

So my question is:
Who would you recommend for service of the two dealerships:
Westside or Countryside?

I'm hoping that if there is a problem, one of these two dealerships will play the warranty game - and I don't get stuck having to replace the clutch/DMF myself (but if I do, I'll be contacting someone other than a dealer - and most likely go VR6/SMF route).
Anyone else in MN have A5 TDI clutch issues?

Last edited:

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
This might be a little out of the way. I would recommend Eich motors in St. Cloud. I don't have any experience with either of the dealerships in the cities. The service manager is Gary Layne. (320) 258-2609.
Hope this helps.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Yep, I know that Eich did a non DMF upgrade for a Fred's clubber when he upgraded injectors and the clutch wouldn't handle it. Been pretty good to me on warrenty issues.

Disclaimer, I do drive for them on dealer trades once in a while.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Deafbug (Brad),

Just wanted to add my thanks to many others for a great TB job!! A very professional job done as always. Brad as all the little extras so that if you happen to come up short on a special bolt or something he can finish anyway. Of course, he also has all the special tools. When you walk into his garage you can see the stack of 50+ water pumps from all the TB jobs he has done. I would never hesitate to recommend Brad for any TDI work, esp TB jobs.

It was also fun to meet the Saint Bernard kids while I was there (including the "little" puppy who looks only about 120 pounds;) ).

Thanks again Brad.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I had a hellova time getting the corrosion TSB done up at Eich. Took the better part of a year, but Gary finally rectified the situation. Based on my experience, I would advise against Eich.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
I thought about Eich, but it would be a bit of a hike, plus nothing of relavence close by (I work in the cities).

I forgot I also have extended powertrain warranty (100K miles), so I'll need to go back to Luther Westside to honor that. How is their service dept. for warranty? Do I need to go prepared with 100 pages of data in hand? :rolleyes:
Like I said, I haven't had to visit VW service since I bought the car, so looking for any input on their performance.
TIA.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I guess I'd call Luther first and talk them through it, see if you get a straight answer, and write the person's name down.

Sam

hamradio

Veteran Member
TDI
IDI.
burpod said:
greengeeker - thanks for the offer. but we've actually decided just to buy one. we could really use a nicer, more reliable one and i know i'll probably eventually need it when i grow up and become a "home owner" myself :eek: looking at a stihl 260, 270, or 280 w/18" blade...
I'm a chainsaw guy. Of the 3 you listed, all are great choices (STIHL, and not a pull-on or homelite), I'd suggest the 260. Because it is a pro model STIHL. 270 and 280 are good saws, but if you are going to be heating with wood, or using it a lot, go with the 260.

I have a STIHL 039 (MS390, now), 011AV (old saw, small, similar to 009), Olympyk 934DF (arborist saw), and a huge old Homelite from the '60s that I was given. My dad has a STIHL 038AV (I wish it had an 038 instead of my 039). A friend has a STIHL 044, 041, and an MS210.