Replacing the DMF in a DSG

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
okie said:
I just got my DSG back in the 06 Jetta, I think it was easier job than the 5 speed in my 96 Passat. :)
I've had my trans out twice and would much rather do it than do a dsg.. i did finish i tho and found that since I didnt have the hose to fill from the bottom and just pulled the cap off the vent and filled through that.. always end up learning something new tricks.. now I am primed for more if I have any come my way..

edit: i serviced the trans, thats why i was filling it, otherwise wouldnt have needed to do anything to it.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
05, where you the one that had it on the floor in like less then an hour, did you have yours apart?

Rick_Hall

TDI
Jetta 2006 Spice Red
I am in the middle of a dmf change on my 06 Jetta with DSG. I couldn't get the trans separated enough to get access to the flywheel bolts so I dropped the tranny. Big job with the car on jackstands. I looked at the torque values for the DMF and my Bentley says 44 ft/lbs plus a quarter of a turn. That's my problem. I can only get just more than an eighth of a turn which turns out to be about 90 ft/lbs. Is this critical? Will 90 ft/lbs be OK. Any advice would be welcome.
Rick Hall
Caledon, Ontario

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the DSG without removing the control arm and without having to get an alignment?

Nah, you don't need to remove the suspension.

Easier? sure but you don't need to do it.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
OK....Well sometimes you have to loosen it....Foot in mouth. Had a tough one and the trans jack was loaned to the Rover shop. That extra inch was all I needed.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
OK....Well sometimes you have to loosen it....Foot in mouth. Had a tough one and the trans jack was loaned to the Rover shop. That extra inch was all I needed.
This is the kind of valueable info you just dont get on other sights. Thanks Jason! I do appreciate your input. And in March we'll be driving past your place on our way to the dells. I'd love to stop by your place and meet you.:)

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do you have the torque values that you used?

Hope you saved the values but if not any help would be appreciated. Having a heck of a time with this project.
THANKS!

Just changed the flywheel thursday-friday. Yes, I know others would have been quicker, but I was trying to be through. All worked out well, and noise is gone.

In my case, the noise was more like a scratch or soft grind at cold idle. It's gone now! ;)

Some tips: Buy the metalnerd triple-square set, and the 14mm triple square socket. You'll need it for the upper transmission-engine bolts. You'll also need box-wrench-socket-adapters for a few locations. 1) the upper trans bolts, and 2) one of the lower transmission bolts.

Oh, and be prepared to replace the following stretch hardware:
1) Trans mount
2) Pendulum mount
3) Control Arm mount
4) Any subframe mount bolts that you loosen.

Take your time, and follow wrenchman's write up. It's quite accurate, sans the torque values.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I'll have to look up the torque values. I'll see if I can post back in a few hours.

Tony

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Great

That's awesome Tony, hope you have them. After all of this I don't want anything to get done wrong.
Thanks

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Transmission Mount:
Body to mount (4): 40Nm+90 degrees
Mount to Transmission (2): 60Nm+90 degrees​
Transmission to Motor:
M12x55: 80Nm
M12x70: 80Nm
M10x50: 40
Pendulum (lower/dogbone)
(2) Engine: 40Nm+90 degrees
(1) Body: 100Nm90 degrees

Flywheel: 60Nm+90 degrees

Drive axle flanges:
Tighten in three steps: 40Nm, 70Nm, and 70Nm

All hardware listed with "+90 degrees" is TTY and MUST be replaced - they CANNOT be reused.

Note: This list is NOT all inclusive and does NOT include all the hardware that needs to be tightened. This list ONLY includes hardware that has a torque value that I could find.

HTH

Tony

ecaddy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
great

THanks Tony, this will help a ton once I figure out how to get the trans to seat against the engine properly. Your time is greatly appreciated and will help a lot!

Transmission Mount:
Body to mount (4): 40Nm+90 degrees
Mount to Transmission (2): 60Nm+90 degrees
Transmission to Motor:
M12x55: 80Nm
M12x70: 80Nm
M10x50: 40
Pendulum (lower/dogbone)
(2) Engine: 40Nm+90 degrees
(1) Body: 100Nm90 degrees

Flywheel: 60Nm+90 degrees

Drive axle flanges:
Tighten in three steps: 40Nm, 70Nm, and 70Nm

All hardware listed with "+90 degrees" is TTY and MUST be replaced - they CANNOT be reused.

Note: This list is NOT all inclusive and does NOT include all the hardware that needs to be tightened. This list ONLY includes hardware that has a torque value that I could find.

HTH

Tony

d12diesel

TDI
2009 TDI Automatic
Hey guys, I'm new to the TDI circle of owners. I recently bought a 2009 Tdi at an auction and it has that same problem you described (noise from flywheel at idle and hard downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes to 1st.
Car has 93,000km on it at this time. I plan on doing the job and replacing the flywheel sometime this week. Most of you talked about the 2006, but do you think the process will be pretty much the same on my 2009 TDI automatic? I will be doing it on jack stands.

Last edited:

rventerprises

TDI
'12 Jetta
Is there anything else I should be doing while I am attempting this procedure? Tongue lash me if you must but I have been cruising my 06 for 30K miles with the rattle and finally have the money to fix this problem now that it doesn't like downshifting into first. I have seen clutch pack kits for these wondering if I should replace those while I have this apart. 160K on the car. Thanks, take it easy on me

schoolcb

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 with 84k miles on it now and have noticed it does not shift as smooth as it used to. How long before I need to replace or is this something I should do immediately?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DMF replacement is more of a noise issue that represents a flywheel that will need to be replaced soon.

If it's not shifting smooth, I would reset the adaptation. From what I've read, and done, the trans software adaptations should be reset very 40k, when you change the DSG oil.

Tony

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
Should be the same as a '06.

QUOTE=d12diesel;3840784]Hey guys, I'm new to the TDI circle of owners. I recently bought a 2009 Tdi at an auction and it has that same problem you described (noise from flywheel at idle and hard downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and sometimes to 1st.
Car has 93,000km on it at this time. I plan on doing the job and replacing the flywheel sometime this week. Most of you talked about the 2006, but do you think the process will be pretty much the same on my 2009 TDI automatic? I will be doing it on jack stands.[/QUOTE]

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
I started to take things off and the bolts on the DSG heat exchanger were way too tight. I barely got the outside one broke loose and the inside one stripped out. So do I weld a nut on it and get it out now?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try a bolt-out kit, like this. This is the bigger kit; there are smaller and cheaper kits available.

Tony

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
Thanks Tony.....used one of those and hit it a few times with a hand impact and broke it loose. I'm not a fan of allen head type, 12 point or these triple square bolts...wish they were all hex head. They either come loose or twist off..none of that stripping out or rounding off.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the torque on the bolts in the crossmember (front, back, torsion bar & rack)& the ones in the A arm/dogbone too?

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
On your forth photo ( mounts laying on the tire)....what is the torque for the three 12mm bolts that bolt the mount to the block and what is the torque for the 4 smaller bolts ( one has a stud on top) that hold the block on the transmission? What is the torque for the 4 bolts holding the rack & pinion on and the 4 smaller ones holding the torsion bar in place?

Supergazoo

TDI
mk4 03 wagon, mk5 06 sedan
hello, just recently purchased an 06 tdi with the DMF rattling. the diy write up looks really good...but i am wondering if any one has the orgional photo's with the write posts on them. the ones on here are un-readable. and does anyone know where i can get a new one for less then 625 bucks in canada? thanks.
Bruce