votex roof rack replacement key

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
I have a 1999 (early model) TDI jetta. I recently purchased a votex roof rack that VW sold on their 93-99 trek models. The problem is that my friend lost the key. Apparently the rack was made in Sweden for Thule and VW. Does any one know where I can get a replacemnt key made? Thule.com needs an N code number, which I can't find on the rack any where. Or are all these racks keyed alike (sounds less secure)? Thanks for your help.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
you can go to any thule dealer and buy a set of keys with new cylinders for like $15. Or you can get a key made by Thule for the "N" code. I did the first option was easy as pie.

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
Thank you onlyn8v for your response. I have emailed Thule twice and both times they replied that I needed the N code for the lock. I will try stopping by a Thule dealer tomorrow after work (with the rack) and see if they can set me up with new locks and keys. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
Well that was a strange journey. I went to a Thule dealer and they said because the rack was locked they couldn't do anything for me. They tried a "core " key, with no luck. They sent me to the VW dealer. The VW parts guy said he could sell me 4 new locks and keys for $35, but he had no way to get the current locks open. He sent me to a lock smith. For $25, the locksmith made 2 new keys for me. He also picked the lock while I was asking him when I should come back. These guys are good at picking locks...sheesh.