Trunk won't open

CochiseTDI

TDI
1999.5 A4 Jetta, Black
Trunk won\'t open

Hi folks,

Today my Jetta's trunk won't unlatch. I've tried both the driver's door switch, and the key directly in the trunk lock. The lock mechanism makes its usual brief whump sound minus the "plunk" of the latch popping open. No failure codes in the central locks control unit.

Any tips on getting the trunk open so I can get a look at the latch mechanism?

Thanks

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
Trunk won\'t open

Hi folks,

Today my Jetta's trunk won't unlatch. I've tried both the driver's door switch, and the key directly in the trunk lock. The lock mechanism makes its usual brief whump sound minus the "plunk" of the latch popping open. No failure codes in the central locks control unit.

Any tips on getting the trunk open so I can get a look at the latch mechanism?

Thanks
I've had this happen to my Beetle a few times. I found I have to insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the first click to force it to reset, I think. I might have had to start the engine. It's been a couple of months since the last time it happened.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Trunk won\'t open

In the worst case you can fold down the rear seats to access the trunk and the latch mechanism.

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
Trunk won\'t open

This is the exact same thread I posted three months ago.
You have to fix a small plastic part in the trunk. First try to open the trunk with your fob or the key while pushing down on the trunk lid- it will not pop it open but should unlatch it so you can raise it up.
I will get my photos ready to post for a D-I-Y fix.

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
Trunk won\'t open

OK first get the trunk open, try the push down while trying the key trick I discribed above. If it doesn't -well, the hard way is to climb inside the trunk and take off the carpet cover on the inside of the trunk lid. About 9 phillips screw heads usually covered by carpet pads. Easy to do with it open- upside down in the dark is a little more challenging. With the carpet cover off, you should be able to tug on the pushrods that activate the truck opening latch.
The part to take off is shiney and has three screws on it directly behind the rear license plate but on the inside. Unsnap the pushrods and unplug the ram type device.
lets try an image......

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
Trunk won\'t open

Oh My Gosh, it works.......
Anyway the next image will show hopefully the arm location that broke off. Maybe it will be a angle break that will glue together well. That ivory u-shaped ram activates and drives the post forward to move the pushrods. Screwy but you wanted a volkswagen.

Pevey

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Tornado Red
Trunk won\'t open

Hey this is starting to look pretty cool, no wonder they are showing me as a veteran. The last image is of the broken post, you need it. Get some of the two part glue, only it will work. Brace the arm so the post can be glued on and not on anything else. I glued it and then soaked a small strip of nylon hose, use a torn pair from your wife- sorry gay guys- and wet it with some glue and wrap it around the post for added strength, drys hard as a rock.
When you put it on and snap the push rods on, move it by hand, if the push rod is not placed correctly the arm will not turn and the post will snap again. My fix has lasted four months and going strong.

CochiseTDI

TDI
1999.5 A4 Jetta, Black
Trunk won\'t open

OK, I got the trunk open. I had to take off the carpeted inner cover as described elsewhere in this thread, but the problem is the lock mechanism:

Also described here.

I was only able to open the trunk by unbolting the latch from the trunk lid. I can press the latch's release lever (which the key and the power trunk release also press), but the latch doesn't open. For the time being I've closed the trunk and bolted the latch back onto the trunk lid so the trunk stays shut.

Impex has the latch as part #1J5827505D01C, for $55.28. However, in order to install the replacement, I'll have to be able to unlock the old latch from the body!

Any further suggestions?

Thanks folks.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Trunk won\'t open

That black plastic piece which surrounds the mechanism can come off. You may need to remove the ring that is bolted into the trunk area so you can work with it inside.

Taking off the black plastic, or at least opening it up should allow you to manually move the latching piece so it'll release the trunk ring.

L

CochiseTDI

TDI
1999.5 A4 Jetta, Black
Trunk won\'t open

I solved this problem some time ago, but forgot to post the solution. Bad me.

A small piece of plastic had fallen down inside the trunk lock, and was preventing the metal lever just above the big rubber boot from sliding.

I had to pop open the black plastic piece with the two grey posts through it. Once that was open, I was able to see the piece of plastic and extract it with needle nose pliers. The trunk lock has worked fine ever since.

I doubt this will prove to be a common version of this problem, but who knows.

gfs

TDI
Jetta, 2010, black
Trunk won\'t open

I have experienced both of the trunk latch related issues described in this thread on my 2000 Jetta TDI.

The trunk lock problem is just as CochiseTDI describes it. And I fixed it the same way (at no cost; just frustration).
It's been this way now for 3 years without any further problems.

Just yesterday, the cheap plastic arm thats part of the locking/unlocking mechanism sheared off. I used JB Weld epoxy to glue it back together. So, let's see how long that holds it.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Trunk won\'t open

The 99.5 mechanism is not as solid as the ones from the newer cars, I recall replacing this on my 99.5.

CZTHEDAE

TDI
Jetta, 2000, GLS TDI
Re: Trunk won\'t open

Thanks a LOT for all the info....I'll get to work once the temperature goes down a bit. Cheers, JR

johnbhoy

TDI
Golf 1.9 GT TDI Mk4 1998, 85,000miles
VW Mk 4 Trunk Broken - Cannot get access !

Hi.

My 1998 Mk4 VW Golf TDi 'trunk wont open' with key fob (never been able to open with the key in lock - as lock was busted when purchased 2nd hand).

The trunk has always opened with the key fob, but over the past several weeks, it hadn't opened more frequently than it had. Now, the trunk just wont open, despite the solenoid sounding like it is triggering the lock in the trunk.

I've read the excellent advice above (and in all the other listings), but as the trunk wont open, i have to somehow open the trunk from the inside. This is a real headache, as i'm really struggling to get into the lock to attempt the above fix, as i cannot remove the plastic cover which covers the lock from the inside. (See pic) It seems to be moulded around the back of the lock, so unless the trunk is open - there is no way the plastic cover can be removed without breaking. I have forced it as far up as i can from below (without snapping) to see the lock mechanism - but i cannot see anyway of removing the lock (as my view is extremely limited).

Furthermore, i cannot see any emergency release, or indeed anyway of opening the trunk by using a piece of e.g string to trigger the release.

Please help if you can - i am at a loss as to what to do now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

John

drignotum

TDI
2000 jetta
there are phillips head screws around the edges of the carpeting on the trunk lid. they have carpeting on them so they blend in and arent too easy to spot..especially when theres not a lot of light.

johnbhoy

TDI
Golf 1.9 GT TDI Mk4 1998, 85,000miles
My trunk is different ? ? ? (i think)

Thanx drignotum,

First, just to clarify – mine is not the car in the picture, it is just similar.

I see that the removal of carpet pads to reveal Phillips head screws is the first step for many of the other members that have posted similar 'trunk broken' problems, which requires their gaining access to the lock.

However, i am not sure if mine is different (because it is European), but my carpeting stops at the edge of the trunk i.e. it simply covers the horizontal floor area of the trunk (spare wheel compartment etc). The trunk door is covered with a tough black plastic cover -which does not easily remove (i.e. No Phillips head screws)! And the remaining lower vertical bodywork area (approx 3" between bottom of trunk door and floor) is covered by an even tougher black plastic, which unclips (clipped using white plastic fixings) except in the middle; where it seems to be fitted around the FRONT and BACK of the locking mechanism, and i cannot see how it FULLY unclips without snapping or without the trunk door being open (which is my original problem).

I wish to -

1) know a manual way of getting this door open ?

2) get this black plastic cover off the locking mechanism - which will be easier if door open.

3) see if the fault can be rectified through following the advice of 'Peavy' (above).

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Regards

John

: )

drignotum

TDI
2000 jetta
I didnt realize you were in the uk. Tomorrow I'll look at my other car and see if it is any different than the us trunk lid covering. its has the lid covering from europe with the luminescent triangle mount and all. ill let you know what i find. i dont know that one has a little arm that releases the trunk from the inside but my 2000 us spec does not have this part.

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
Manually turn the key in the trunk latch hard left and it will open, when all else fails.

greymatter_24

TDI
None
Trunk Part Number

I have exactly the problem that Pevey described above (on 06-21-04) on my 2001 Jetta. Does anyone have a part number for the broken plastic mechanism?

Benovi

TDI
2002 Golf
I have the same problem

I am having the same problem with my 2002 golf. The key trick will not work because my key does not even go into the hole. I have gotten in and ripped up the plastic covering but can't get to much. Did you ever figure out how to open it with out a key?

Last edited:

Benovi

TDI
2002 Golf
Golf hatch back leakage

Oh yeah just f.y.i the golfs have a wind shield wiper on the back right above the key hole. Many of them (such as mine) have had leakage problems from the windshield washing fluid which drips constantly into the key hole and rusts it shut. I always used the key-fob or the switch to open the hatch but now that doesn't work. Has anyone ever opened a golf hatch with out the key or the switch?

greymatter_24

TDI
None
Benovi said:
I am having the same problem with my 2002 golf. The key trick will not work because my key does not even go into the hole. I have gotten in and ripped up the plastic covering but can't get to much. Did you ever figure out how to open it with out a key?
I'm not sure whether the same solution will work with a hatch but to open my Jetta trunk: I had to get into the trunk via the back seat, remove the interior trunk trim (as Pevey describes above). Once that's off you can just shift the metal rod and that will activate the trunk release.

I can't actually use my Jetta trunk without replacing the broken little black post that the motorized arm pushes on to release the trunk latch. I tried using epoxy but it broke again the first time I tried to open it. I think the broken part is called an "actuator" or at least that's what I've ordered (I'll let you know whether I was right or not). You can order parts for the trunk mechanism here:

https://www.trademotion.com/partloc...2001&graphicID=9277660&callout=12&catalogid=2

Last edited:

Benovi

TDI
2002 Golf
fixed!

Ok, to get the hatch open in my 2002 golf all it required was blunt force in ripping the plastic off the back. Only rip the top half off. The bottom goes around the lock and has to be cut to get it off. I just hooked a crowbar underneath the plastic and pulled out and you hear and fill the screws break then prop up the plastic with a screw driver to get a look. There are two screws so don't forget to undo those too. They are just connected with plastic type screws that are replaceable and break with some force. (I didn't get it all the way off just enough to see how to open the hatch and then when the hatch is open take it off carefully or you will damage the plastic.)

Once you can see just unlock the hatch with your key fob and pull up the rod that is connected to the motor at the same time, or if the rod is disconnected pull were the rod was connected or reconnect the rod. The hatch should open right up when you pull the handle. There was a bunch of sand in there so I just sprayed the mechanical parts with some lubricant and now its back to working order.

Thanks for your help! Sorry if this is confusing but if you have any questions just send me an email.

greymatter_24

TDI
None
Broken Bracket Fix

Here is a photo of the bracket with the broken little plastic piece:

This is the part you need to replace it:

The little plastic piece is not sold separately. The total cost for the bracket was $36.21 plus $8.95 for shipping from http://www.auburnvw.com/ (same place as the above link).
The bracket was easy enough to replace. After removing the cloth covered screws and the trunk panel cover, you can see the bracket with the motor attached. There are three nuts that need to be removed and you need to unclip the motor and the bracket rods (the thin metal rods that are connected to the broken plastic piece). A word of advice here...the rods are just threaded through the holes on the little plastic piece but when the piece is still connected to the bracket, it's difficult to maneuver the rods out of the broken piece. Both of the metal rods are also attached to little black round plastic arms which are fitted over a metal piece (it looks like a small trailer hitch...I don't know the name of it). Anyway, long story short, the little black plastic cups will snap off of the hitch. If you remove them, the rods are easy to take off and attach to the new bracket. Here's a photo:

To remove the motor you need a hexagonal star wrench. Move the motor to the new bracket, attach the rods to the bracket, put the new bracket into place and reattach the rods to the little hitch and that's it.

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
Good discussion, now on mine and a friends 2006 Jettas, the trunk will not open electrically, but will with the key. It apears that the sensor shows the trunk is open when it is closed. I am guessing that if the sensor thinks the trunk is open, as evidenced by the message display, that the car is smart enought to not allow you to electrically operate the opener since it thinks it is already open. If I work the latch several times with the trunk open using the interior release handle, it starts working again.

Has anyone checked on the sensors? Are they and issue? It would appear if the plastic part is broke, I would not be able to get it to work after exercising the interior latch.

This is getting to be a pain in the cold, as the plant checks trunks every day when I leave, and I am starting to hold up the line while the armed gaurds play with the trunk. Since I do not have the car in a garage, I am hoping to make spring to take it apart.

Any suggestions/

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
Update, couldn't wait for spring. Mine is actually a 2005.5, my friends is an 06, on mine the electric motor drive a nylon gear that throws a plastic rod to trip the trunk. The return spring only retracts the rod half way, the trunk latch spring is suppose to finish the reset. Without the reset the micro switch will till signal trunk open. White lithium grease, stretching the spring on the rod, and bending the micro switch leaver seems to have fixed my issue. The mechanism does not look like the one in the video. The trunk liner also clips in and only has 4 screws around the license plate area.

shifty47

TDI
Jetta 2002