My trunk won't open !

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
I tried opening my trunk this morning and it wouldn't open. I could here the motor inside trying to open it, and also tried opening it from the trunk and the car. The trunk was still closed. What could my problem be?

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Were you able to open it with the Key or Inside (car) release?

The bracket that the actuator pushes against to open will break at some point. The dealer part is the entire mount with the plastic part. From memory it's somewhat expensive. Then there's the guys trying to get rich on 25 cents worth of plastic repair (way over priced). IMO.

I got a piece of welding rod (and good stiff coat hanger should work) and bent it so that it locks into the broken plastic part and ends up in front of the power trunk actuator and mine has worked fine. If you can open your trunk with the key or with the trunk pull, remove the fuzzy cover and see if your plastic arm has cracked or broken off. (Click on the picture and it should open up a larger picture. There's two more on the Tdi site.)

Tony50

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 04 Jetta, 06 Jetta
Jetta trunk will not open

I had the same problem a tab that the actuator pushes was broken off. The tab is riveted onto a metal bracket. There is a good fix kit available but it is expensive at about $40. The prices of used trunk linkage brackets oem part # 1J5827425E are also quit high $30-$40. I just ordered a new one on ebay for $35. I'll let you know how that goes