www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old June 20th, 2012, 18:15   #1
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see Fuelly tag
Default 2001 Custom Jetta - Yggdrasil, the Green Machine

I flew out to Pennsylvania this past week to buy Snadam's 2001 Jetta TDI sedan. This car was heavily customized by both Snadam and Sootman. I'm loving the power and the mileage.

After some fun flight adventures and an overnight stay at Snadam's place (thanks again, btw), the long drive home began. Day One: Phoenixville, Pennsylvania to St. Clairsville, Ohio. Day Two: St. Clairsville to Effingham, Illinois. Day Three: Effingham home to Topeka, KS. 1200.5 miles, door to door.

Here's some photos from the trip:

Do not believe these signs. They lie. We were stuck in the Atlanta airport for about 3 hours due to a fun little thunderstorm. Snadam picked us up at 3:45 instead of midnight. He's good folks, people. Believe it.

Heavily customized engine. Will an engine cover fit over this? No. Would I ever want to cover up something this beautiful? F*** no. Notice the extra paper towels next to the washer fluid reservoir. This is due to Snadam being a much neater person than I am. He's set the bar high; I'll try to live up to it.

Snadam and I looking over the smorgasbord of bits, part, oddments and stuff that he included. Not pictured: four winter tires on 15" rims that he bagged so no dirt would get on the trunk or seat. The first time I get a smudge on this, I think Snadam's spider-sense is going to go off.

Shiny green baby ready for my license plate, with TDIclub frame, to go on for the trip home. Apparently the TSA doesn't care whether or not you bring a license plate onto a plane in your carry on luggage. Good to know.

Is this guy happy? Oh, yes. Not near as happy as he's going to be driving this machine down long stretches of highway, though. Smooooooth, baby, smoooooth.

Stopped at Vinny's in Chester Springs, PA on Snadam's advice. This was the best cheese steak sandwich I have ever eaten. Ever. E. V. E. R. If you are ever anywhere near Philadelphia and you don't stop in here and get one of these, you are missing out.

Next post: Photos from the first leg of the trip. We'll do it like the trip: split into manageable segments.

Last edited by Woodrobin; June 20th, 2012 at 20:19. Reason: Spellcheck, y u no catch my spelling errors?
Woodrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 13:28   #2
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Day One: Fun run from Phoenixville, Pennsylvania to St. Clairsville, Ohio.

Rolling down the foothills, burning zero fuel. Beautiful scenery, and the Pennsylvania turnpike was unusually clear and non-psychotic, traffic-wise.

This turned out to be reading somewhat optimistically, but this is actually close to the MPG average for the first 500 or so miles we drove. My girlfriend managed to take this shot while I was driving without distracting me, so kudos for the skill that required.

This area looked quite a bit like the Flint Hills in Kansas. Not yet in sight of the mountains proper. Beautiful country, and lots of gentle, rolling highway.

Ok . . . getting into the not-as-gentle bits. This is a really steep hill for Kansans.

About to drive through a mountain. We totally do not do that in Kansas. We have a few sections of highway that cut through small hills, but mostly we just go around them. Big glacier clay-barred our part of the continent during the Ice Age. We fear the coming of the Great Zaino Bottle and the Chamois of the Gods.

I love the "Stay In Lane" and "Do Not Cross Center Line" signs. I'm about to drive through a mountain. I'm not that worried about passing people while I'm driving under millions of tons of rock.

Yep . . . light at the end of the tunnel . . . I went there.

Point mountain is pointy. Okay, I guess this isn't much of a mountain, considering that the top is below the tree line. Again: I'm from Kansas. To me, this is a serious mountain.

Long day driving. We were very glad to pull into the motel parking lot. Amazing sunset. Kicked back in the room with a very tasty pizza, because we were too driven-out to go look for a place to eat.

Next post: Drive Home Part 2: Drive Homer!
Old June 21st, 2012, 14:09   #3
tonystdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+ mpg, 800 mile club

Very nice! Well done!
tonystdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 17:06   #4
Masonjar
Veteran Member

Love the storyline and the great photos. Makes me want to do a road trip too...

Andrew
Old June 21st, 2012, 17:12   #5
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Many of us in New England admired and enjoyed driving this car when Sootman had it, including me. Sounds like it's in good hands. Enjoy.
Old June 21st, 2012, 18:47   #6
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Now appearing: Drive Home 2: Drive Homer!

Dawn breaks over Yggdrasil. Rested and ready to head out for Effingham, Illinois. Well, not dawn exactly . . . we only got 4 hours of sleep the night before this . . . more like 11 am.

Driving down I-70, spotted a gray MkIV Jetta. Reminded of Mjolnir, now my girlfriend's TDI. Turned out to be a gasser, though. Sort of a "Crying Game" moment, car-wise.

Coming into Columbus, Ohio. Traffic was fairly laid-back, relative to other cities I've driven through (Kansas City and St. Louis, I'm looking at you).

Triple hash browns, scattered and smothered (with chili), at the Waffle House just off of I-70 east of Columbus. We don't have Waffle House diners in Kansas outside of Kansas City. I'd never heard of the chain before. Quite good, especially after a long drive.

Oh, and they have waffles, too.

Jatrodiesel near Dayton, Ohio. Put in 9.98 gallons of B100. Mileage for this leg of the trip: 52.9 miles per gallon. It's an ancient pump rigged to their delivery truck, but it's good bio. Glad I had it plugged into the Garmin Navi, though. If you blink, you'll miss it. Seriously.

Rolling through some farm country on our way back to I-70 from Jatrodiesel. This was some peaceful, picturesque country. Good for the soul.

Indianapolis, Indiana. Rolling on through, enjoying the view.

Wildflowers outside of our hotel in Effingham, Illinois. Much prettier than the hotel, which was just on the cusp between unimpressive and funky.

Next: Drive Home Part 3: Drive Home with a VW!

Last edited by Woodrobin; June 21st, 2012 at 18:52. Reason: May possibly have misspelled something.
Woodrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 22:30   #7
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

Nice! I did the nearly the same trip a few weeks ago. I drove from St. Louis to Philly, then a couple days later made the drive back. Not a bad trip. I did the entire drive in one day, but I can understand the need for a rest!

You get your best MPGs once your out of the mountains. I went from St. Louis to a Sunoco on the PA turnpike on one tank and managed 59 mpgs. Then I hit the hills and mountains on the way TO Philly AND back, so it hurt the mpgs a bit.

Nice purchase BTW.

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 22:23   #8
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Drive Home Part 3: Drive Home with a VW!

Outside of Neimerg's Steakouse in Effingham, Illinois. Happy to be driving the Jetta TDI, and looking forward to what we've been told is excellent steak and homemade pie.

And on the third day we looked upon the pie, and we saw that it was good. And then we ate it. Not pictured: the steak medallions and chicken fried steak we totally destroyed before either of us thought to record it for posterity.

Outside of Effingham was some effing road construction that we didn't effing enjoy very much, due to people not knowing how to effing merge.

And after that, we went over this effing amazing looking bridge.

Great scenery, and a fuel free launch down a steep hill coasting in fifth gear. What's not to like?

Girlfriend's purse. It haunted my dreams. Now it can haunt yours. You're welcome.

Finally ran into some weather in mid-Missouri after a largely sunny (and hot) trip. Weird lines of truly heavy rain interspersed with drizzle that we drove through in about five minutes. It was like the world's largest car wash.

Zaino Z-CS clear seal on the windshield. Water flat out will not stick to that stuff.

And then it was done. That was some amazing sun-through-clouds scenery, too.

Rolling home into Topeka around 8:30 in the evening. Yes, we have clocks on the Topeka Boulevard bridge over the Kansas River. No, I don't know why. Oh, and that crane really is taller than the Capitol Dome. That's not a trick of perspective; it's right next to the capitol building.

Finally home. 1200.4 miles. I have no idea why the Garmin says my max speed was 85 miles per hour, as I of course never exceeded the legal speed limit. Must be a glitch or something. Ahem . . . moving along.

It was an amazing trip across some wonderful country, and having my girlfriend along made the trip a lot less lonely and more pleasant.

Snadam was a gracious host and an honest car-seller, and the whole process was made all the better for that. Thanks again.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 22:35   #9
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Home again, and now for a post where all the pictures actually have the car in them.

Yggdrasil on the left, Mjolnir on the right, down by the Kansas river.

I washed the car with some Zaino Z-7 car wash solution, dried with a Sham-Wow (it was a gift; don't judge me ), and then applied some Z-8 Grand Finale detailing spray and finished off with some Z-CS clear seal. Nice and shiny.

Smooth, too.

Green trees and blue sky reflecting off a dark green Jetta. Next, I'm going to pick up a bottle of Zaino tire gloss and get it shiny from ground to rooftop.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 22:37   #10
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

I recognize the Indy and Effingham photos

Good color BTW.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:15   #11
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

Sweet, I love road trips..!!

Nice Tdi also. I had those same wheels on my 2001 TDi..
Old June 24th, 2012, 17:29   #12
Dorkage
Veteran Member

It looks like the bumper is falling off.
Dorkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 18:42   #13
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkage View Post
It looks like the bumper is falling off.
Yep. It's not, though. There's an Upsolute Front-Mount Intercooler (FMIC) installed. There isn't quite enough room to get the bumper to clip in all the way around. Next time I'm out to CoolairVW to have some work done, I'm going to see if we can't figure out a way to trim the piece so it'll fit flush. Both Sootman and Snadam had the bumper as you see it, and it's stable in that position, but it does bug me a little bit when I look at it.
Old June 24th, 2012, 18:56   #14
Sootman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 +/- MPG

Glad your trip went so well. The car looks fantastic. If my son sees how good it looks he'll shoot me for ever selling it. I hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 19:22   #15
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Nothing super-fancy today. Just a freshly-washed car in the 100 degree heat. Shiny car is shiny.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled summer.