www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:17   #1
Freonite

Default Finally got my TDI!

Hey all,

After looking for a couple months, I finally got a good deal on a 2001 Golf TDI with 91k miles. I found it in Texas and was on the phone within the hour that it was posted on AutoTrader. It was at a Honda dealer and I am not sure that they knew exactly what they had. I ended up getting it for $7000 with new brakes and timing belt kit/water pump. They sent it out to an independent shop that knew diesels for the timing belt.

The catch was that I had to be there to pick it up before Nov 30th in order to get the deal. We made the deal on Thanksgiving. So I rented a car and my brother in law and I power road tripped down to Texas.

The car was better than advertised and they said that I was lucky that I got the car for that price. They said right after the deal was made, they got a flood of phone calls and every salesperson in the place had at least one person waiting to hear if the deal falls through.

I was surprised when I filled the tank that it only took 11 gallons. I was under the impression that all of the TDI golfs had ~16 gallon tanks. Maybe I missed something. Well that tank of gas went 600 miles on the trip back to Minnesota. The car did not so much as groan the entire 1000+ mile trip. Thats more than I can say about the Nissan rental that we took on the way down.

It appears that the dealer armor all'ed the entire dash and it made the bottom panels of the dash all sticky. Is there something that you guys would recommend to clean that with so I don't ruin the finish?

Also I have been looking at oil filters and found a couple deals on ebay for buying them in quantity. Do you guys have any experience buying them that way? Here is set I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-VW...ht_1932wt_1165

Thanks in advance!
Freonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:30   #2
CStone
Veteran Member

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good deal on a good car.

Hope it works out for you and welcome to the forum!

CStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:49   #3
DieselArcticCat

TDI(s): 2000TDI Golf

As long as those are Mann original and not a cheap copy you are fine!
DieselArcticCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:37   #4
Namakan
Veteran Member

Freonite:

Congrats on the find! I almost drove from MN to TX for a car last spring but was finally fortunate enough to find a low mileage 2002 Golf locally.

By the way are you the one that kept flagging the 159,000 mile title jumper car on CL? If so, way to go and I see it's still listed for sale. lol

Justin

Namakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:58   #5
Freonite

Yeah that was me. I went and drove that car. After driving a nice TDI it is apparent that the one he is selling has issues. I don't think the turbo was working on it at all.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:23   #6
Namakan
Veteran Member

Did the guy have a thick Russian accent by chance? I looked at one down in that area (Burnsville or Savage I believe) from a guy I could not understand on the phone. Came to find out he was buying salvaged TDI's and rebuilding them.

Namakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:25   #7
Freonite

No this guy was Hispanic.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 22:14   #8
85_305
Banned

600 miles on a tank is terrible. I never get less than 700 (and even thats city driving).
85_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 23:44   #9
cfm56
Veteran Member

he mentioned 11 gallons of fuel, maybe he basing his mileage off of that number.
To the OP, do the ventectomy mod on your fueling port and you'll be happy with how much you can put in it. Use the search option to find the threads to do this. Or check out the "how to thread" in the 101 section if its in there
cfm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:38   #10
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

I would not buy the oil filters, much less anything else automotive replated, off of ebay.

Spend a little extra and get genuine VW or quality aftermarket parts. You and your car will be happy for it!

Two suggestions:
1) Get the timing belt and assiciated parts replaced ASAP. You don't know how long that timing belt had been in service (time or miles)!
2) Install a skid plate (dieselgeek.com)

Trusted tdiclub suppliers:
boraparts.com; Call Aaron!
Franko6 (Cyl hear repair link in my signature)
http://1stvwparts.com/ Auburn Wa VW dealer; Excellent pricing and customer service
worldimpex.com
metalmanparts.com
autohausaz.com
metalnerd.com; Aftermarket VW tools
dieselgeek.com

HTH

Tony
Diesel fleet: '15 Jetta TDI SE; '06 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; '06 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; Past Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:49   #11
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta View Post
I would not buy the oil filters, much less anything else automotive replated, off of ebay.

Spend a little extra and get genuine VW or quality aftermarket parts. You and your car will be happy for it!

Two suggestions:
1) Get the timing belt and assiciated parts replaced ASAP. You don't know how long that timing belt had been in service (time or miles)!
2) Install a skid plate (dieselgeek.com)

Trusted tdiclub suppliers:
boraparts.com; Call Aaron!
Franko6 (Cyl hear repair link in my signature)
http://1stvwparts.com/ Auburn Wa VW dealer; Excellent pricing and customer service
worldimpex.com
metalmanparts.com
autohausaz.com
metalnerd.com; Aftermarket VW tools
dieselgeek.com

HTH

Tony
www.idparts.com is another good choice.

He said the belt was done. But have a guru inspect it for correct install and all the rightr parts replaced.

Low mileage cars like that are getting hard to find.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:19   #12
Freonite

Thanks guys! The ventectomy is on my list of things to do. I also noticed that the resume on the cruise control is not working. I read that there is a possibility of that being fixed with contact cleaner, so I will have to try that as well.

Any advice on getting the gunk off the lower part of the dash?

Thanks!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:27   #13
cmitchell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freonite View Post

Any advice on getting the gunk off the lower part of the dash?

Thanks!
Search "soft touch". That @#$%^& Volkswagen put in the cars is their worst feature. Plus putting Armor-All on it most likely made it worse. I wish I could just "clean" mine off!

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:21   #14
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Freonite, you might want to check out a melamine-foam sponge. The "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" is the one most people recognize; I feel duty-bound ('cuz I work there) to mention that 3M sells a ScotchBrite equivalent. I've used the 3M sponge on the dash and other plastic interior parts and it does a nice job of cleaning off cruft without "erasing" the soft-touch or whatever texture is on the part. (Just don't be rubbing it like a genie's lamp! )

Oh, and congrats on the new ride. Maybe we'll see you at a future GTG?