Which TDI is "better" the EA189 or the EA288?

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I've got one of each, and by laws the days are finally drawing near when it'll be time to send one back to VW. I've been reading about the differences for a year, but I'm still at an impasse. I was hoping for some input from the forums (ahem... Oilhammer :)) to help me make my decision.

Balance shafts - I give this one to the EA288. The placement and design leads me to believe they will be more effective and reliable. Possibly easier to delete if necessary as they lack integration with the oil pump, unlike the EA189

Oil pump - I give this one to the EA189 for simplicity's sake. Variable anything from VAG has taught me to be cautious. That, and the RUBBER BELT IN OIL present on the EA288.... Vacuum and oil seems like a lot of work for that tiny belt to do for the "life" of the engine. Unless that "life" is at 62k and on the side of the road.

Water pump - Another one for the EA189 for simplicity as well. I can certainly see a 288 on the side of the road, overheated due to the damper getting stuck in the extended position. Worse, some EA288 cars don't even have a coolant temperature gauge.

Turbocharger - The EA189 in my Passat now has a warranty to 100k. The 288's ends at 60k with the "lubricated parts" warranty.

Oil filter and intercooler - Both engines have a water/air intercooler, so icing isn't an issue. However, the 189 in the Passat has an oil filter accessible from the top in a much more convenient place.

Fuel system - both use solenoid injectors and seem to be more resistant to failure compared to the piezo cousins.

Fuel Efficiency - My experience is that the EA288 is much easier to make it to big mileage. The 189 will do 48mpg, but it takes some work. The 288 will do it if I simply drive slower than 75mph. There's no doubt the 288 is more efficient.

In the end, I just see a lack of discussion and enthusiasm for the late model cars. And while they're no ALH, they sure are hard to replace with any other type of car on all the key points. I still love the cars for all the same reasons I bought them. But, one has to go.

Last edited:

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
aah keep the newer engine and why is it better if you drive slower then 75?

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Fuel efficiency... zero issues breaking 50mpg if I drive 75 or less. Pretty amazing. Of course, Utah valley is pretty flat. It does get a little less if I leave the valley. The Passat is heavier, but it has a lower drag coefficient... so, I think it's apples to apples saying the EA288 is more efficient.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd keep 'em both.

But to your point, it is really tough to evaluate the CVCA engine since it is JUST in the 2015s, and there really is not much track record on them.

The CKRA is a sort of mutt between the earlier CBEA/CJAA and the later CKRA. But again, not much of a track record on those either, as far as long term.

I think it is just as much the car it is bolted into (in your case) as the engine itself. Given the choice between an NCS Jetta and an NMS Passat, I'd take the Passat...regardless of engine.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I'd keep 'em both.
:D:D:D

This is the answer my wife doesn't want. Haha. I fully agree with you on the car, regardless of the engine. The Passat has better fluid capacities, more room, much more usable trunk and back seat, more features, and I think it looks better. I'm certainly inclined to keep both now that I know I won't be able to get a new one.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
I'm looking at it right now and was confused about that solenoid on the water pump for a minute.
I wonder if it s a clutch that disconnect when the engine is cold so water warms up quicker... And internally if it is pumping water if there is no juice of it's not connected ??

I think there was an explanatory diagram of the coolant from VW somewhere when cold and when warm.

Ciao!

I've got one of each, and by laws the days are finally drawing near when it'll be time to send one back to VW. I've been reading about the differences for a year, but I'm still at an impasse. I was hoping for some input from the forums (ahem... Oilhammer :)) to help me make my decision.

Balance shafts - I give this one to the EA288. The placement and design leads me to believe they will be more effective and reliable. Possibly easier to delete if necessary as they lack integration with the oil pump, unlike the EA189

Oil pump - I give this one to the EA189 for simplicity's sake. Variable anything from VAG has taught me to be cautious. That, and the RUBBER BELT IN OIL present on the EA288.... Vacuum and oil seems like a lot of work for that tiny belt to do for the "life" of the engine. Unless that "life" is at 62k and on the side of the road.

Water pump - Another one for the EA189 for simplicity as well. I can certainly see a 288 on the side of the road, overheated due to the damper getting stuck in the extended position. Worse, some EA288 cars don't even have a coolant temperature gauge.

Turbocharger - The EA189 in my Passat now has a warranty to 100k. The 288's ends at 60k with the "lubricated parts" warranty.

Oil filter and intercooler - Both engines have a water/air intercooler, so icing isn't an issue. However, the 189 in the Passat has an oil filter accessible from the top in a much more convenient place.

Fuel system - both use solenoid injectors and seem to be more resistant to failure compared to the piezo cousins.

Fuel Efficiency - My experience is that the EA288 is much easier to make it to big mileage. The 189 will do 48mpg, but it takes some work. The 288 will do it if I simply drive slower than 75mph. There's no doubt the 288 is more efficient.

In the end, I just see a lack of discussion and enthusiasm for the late model cars. And while they're no ALH, they sure are hard to replace with any other type of car on all the key points. I still love the cars for all the same reasons I bought them. But, one has to go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a duty cycled affair that changes how much volume the pump moves. On some engines, it is vacuum operated with a duty cycled solenoid. But on these, it is directly on the pump. Little collar moves to uncover the impeller vanes.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Since you have to get rid of one, I'd keep the Passat for the size and ride reasons you mentioned.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Gee, I'm sorry I pooped in your cheerios this morning.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Fuel efficiency... zero issues breaking 50mpg if I drive 75 or less. Pretty amazing. Of course, Utah valley is pretty flat. It does get a little less if I leave the valley. The Passat is heavier, but it has a lower drag coefficient... so, I think it's apples to apples saying the EA288 is more efficient.
I get better fuel economy than my wifes sportwagen, even when i was not tuned (aftermarket), so not sure i buy that argument. With the green diesel tune i easily surpass. That being said, but by TDI standards none of our cars are fully broken in i guess...her car with 20k miles and mine with 31k.

EDIT...i guess my point doesnt matter either. Oh well. Let this be a lesson, you can get great fuel efficiency out of the E189 and dont let anyone tell you any different!

Last edited:

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
So now that we have a little more history, any updated opinions on this?

I just moved my ALH golf down the road and am itching for another TDi to replace my wife's 2013 Escape. I seem to have settled on a 2014-2015 Jetta as "just right" size and they have independent rear suspension. The market seems to be flooded with these and the value is good considering the extended warranty.

Been researching on here for about a week and it seems the ea288 might have a fairly common water pump issue and perhaps a rare DEF tank sensor issue.

I have driven a 14 and the car seemed nice. ea189 was adequate, but I miss the kick of the tuned ALH. I probably should drive a 15 and see if I can tell the difference.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Fixed CR cars don't have the kick that a rotary pump TDI has. However, a tune can help that a lot, if you don't mind risking the emissions warranty.

From a parts sales standpoint I'd say these two engines are roughly comparable. Neither is trouble free, nor are they fail trains. I would probably choose based on what car you like better, MKVI or MKVII. But if you're looking at a Jetta Sedan I'd go with a '15 for better content and the stiffer structure, which helps NVH a lot. I'd also share that the EA288s with Adblue seem to get better FE after the fix.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
I did drive a 2015 today. It was quieter and felt a bit more composed.

I have noticed that all of these buyback cars are shod with cheap tires. No doubt because the originals were flat spotted from sitting. This one had Doral tires, which at least I have heard of. Good tires would probably help the ride and handling of any of these.

As far as the engine goes, the ea288 was not much different than the ea189. I did not drive them back to back, so not a good comparison. It was probably a mistake to drive my sprinter van to look at the 2015. It is a torque monster.

My biggest concern was that I tend to "manspread" when I drive, and my right calf is pressed against the hard center console. I'm afraid that would be a problem with any Jetta of this era.

Last edited: