Today's project: Golf Country Too...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
This is my attempt at making my little fuel sipper as functional as possible through any weather conditions within reason!
What we are starting with...

The goodies to accessorize...

Struts and shocks will be in the mail today, heading to the auto parts store now to grab spring compressor!

To be continued...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
That it does! haha

(Just dont show the wife!)

Here are a few more "previous" pictures.

Front...

Rear...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Current progress which is at a stand still as far as suspension goes, as I wait for the FedEx Santa...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Cool project. I jacked up my B5V 4mo instead. Golf got GTI stuff, so it went down a tad. :(
I would love to throw a 4 motion setup in my golf. Or better yet buy a passat 4 motion.. But then that robs the MPG aspect, may as well get a 1.8t A4.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have debated in the past on swapping a TDI into a B5 passat 4 mo since they are pretty common and cheap. I would just use as a winter/beater car.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Really looking forward to the after photos and the full breakdown of everything you're doing here. I think it's going to turn out awesome.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
great project.
i hope to put a 2" on the front, have air shocks on the rear so they are adjustable.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Slow progress at the moment, replaced the control arm bushings and gave them a fresh paint job yesterday.

The wife had other plans for me over the weekend!

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Question...

Is it safe to run the 2" metanerd kit with 2 10mm spacers stacked in the front?

New OEM Struts with new Moog front springs

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Just confirmed with Chuck. I will be removing the 20mm worth of spacers from the front.

Anyone want to buy 4 of them? lol.

$35 shipped

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Cleaning up the rear axle beam. New Energy Suspension bushings going in shortly...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
primed and "curing in the basement" (sub 45 degrees outside)

Last edited:

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Check behind those fender liners!

Need to find the thread floating around here, describes a "how to" prevent the buildup from happening. (I think)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
A little under coating to the affected areas. Next will be a few shots of silicone spray lubricant in an attempt to make it slippery and "non stick" (probably wont do anything but it sounds like a good idea in my head!)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Finally starting to put things BACK on the car instead of ripping it out! (after this project, the only things I have not removed from the car will be the front sub-frame and spindles, exhaust, and dashboard!)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Scotty, I was talking about just spraying the section where I undercoated.

I also read that another member suggested adding a washer/spacer of sorts behind the fender liner to leave a small gap for stuff to pass through. Seems to make sense!

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Any updates?
Along with the general cool factor of this overall project, I'm interested to hear how big of a job the rear axle bushings were.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I have done something similiar with my 2 door.

3/4" blackpipe couplers in the front, adjustable spring perches in the rear to raise the car about 1.5"

then some 225 60 16 tires off my old eurovan on some NewBeetle alloys. also had to put a set of 5mm spacers on in the front to prevent tire rubbing.

I can now fit a 1.5L of G12 under the rocker in the back. plenty of ground clearance.

pics :)

Would love to add a hitch, perhaps one of those light bars in the front.

interested to see what all you do on yours. looks like its going to be awesome when its finished.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Wow, not much travel left in that spring :eek:
Even without the extra spacers it's really compressed.

I like it but can't help thinking that there has to be a better way to increase ride height. Keep the original travel but lower the upper mounting point or something...
Oh great, now I miss my lifted Skoda!

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Hey fellas, sorry to keep you waiting. 60 to 80 hour work weeks cut into the progress pretty badly lol.

I have been able to tinker this week and get the new bushings in the rear axle beam. New front sway bar bushings are on, front mudflaps are installed. I also wound up "Herculiner'ing" the rear axle beam. Figured that aught to hold up to the elements until the rest of the car falls apart. Trying to seal this thing up so she will be ready for the Long Haul to reach half a million miles and beyond!

Transmission side engine mount is installed, engine compartment put back together.

Need to run to napa one of these days to grab some new caliper pin bushings for the front, then the front end will be all done.

Sometime next week I am hoping to get the rear axle beam mounted so I can install the lift and new springs for the rear, get the suspension loaded to torque all of the mounting bolts and get her back on the road!

Thankfully I haven't sold my S4 yet, as I have been dailiy'ing that since October when "today's project" turned into "This year's last quarter project"

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
nokivasara, I agree with you. I wonder how a sleeve for the shock would work for the front.. Something that would have a solid base that mounts inside the spindle, then something that the shock would mount in, similar to the original spindle mount...