Who wants free gas? Central CA -> daFest

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 2dr ALH and the 2000 Jeep TDI-TJ
So my TDI blew the head gasket and will not be ready for the trip tdifest. I'd rather not take public when I could ride in a TDI.

I will bring copious amounts of good beer and of course will pick up the diesel tab*

I'm open to splitting a hotel room with somebody as well.

* some restrictions apply: station choice is limited, bio-fuel will likely not be available for 'free' to apply.

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
So my TDI blew the head gasket and will not be ready for the trip tdifest. I'd rather take public when I could ride in a TDI.

I will bring copious amounts of good beer and of course will pick up the diesel tab*

I'm open to splitting a hotel room with somebody as well.

* some restrictions apply: station choice is limited, bio-fuel will likely not be available for 'free' to apply.
Dude! bummer! when were you looking to leave? and how long were you hoping to stay? questions that one might want answers to if they're traveling with you.

Sorry to hear about the head gasket, dude! :(

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the kind words Zippy!

Dates/Times are flexible. I believe in the phrase 'beggars aren't choosers'.

I can make my way north and meet up with one of the bay area folks or the like.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thanks for the kind words Zippy!

Dates/Times are flexible. I believe in the phrase 'beggars aren't choosers'.

I can make my way north and meet up with one of the bay area folks or the like.
How far north? Sacramento for Friday morning? Return to Sac Monday noonish?

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
Feasible, yes. Although Friday morning is a little challenging. I can catch the late train Thursday if somebody's got a couch or other sheltered flat spot to crash on for the night.

The blown head gasket is only a bummer in that I won't be able take my TDI to the fest. I can't say it wasn't expected at some point after 40k miles of abuse.Other than that, it's just another opportunity to upgrade :D I had half an engine prepped and waiting for such an event. I might even get the engine together before the fest, but I want to get the gearbox built while I'm at it.

How far north? Sacramento for Friday morning? Return to Sac Monday noonish?

Last edited:

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Feasible, yes. Although Friday morning is a little challenging. I can catch the late train Thursday if somebody's got a couch or other sheltered flat spot to crash on for the night.
The blown head gasket is only a bummer in that I won't be able take my TDI to the fest. I can't say it wasn't expected at some point after 40k miles of abuse.Other than that, it's just another opportunity to upgrade :D I had half an engine prepped and waiting for such an event. I might even get the engine together before the fest, but I want to get the gearbox built while I'm at it.
Way to look at your glass as half full!!!:)
I hope you make it to Fest!!
-Keli

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I believe in the phrase 'beggars aren't choosers'.
Sure they are. They just don't get what they want. LOL.

As for your offer, there are a lot of questions to be asked.

When were you planning on going? I plan on leaving Riverside (So Cal) at about 5am. According to Google Maps, I can make it to Sacramento in 7 and 1/4 hours. Of course, Google Maps time is usually a little off (± 30 minutes). Would that be too early / late?

EDIT: I see that you are actually in Bakersfield. Google Maps says I can make it there in about 3 hours. That is assuming I don't have a problem hitting the L.A. morning traffic. If you sleep in your own bed in Bakersfield, could you be ready to go by 8am. Maybe 8:30?

Are you looking for a one way trip or round trip? I am headed to Washington with a stopover at TDIFest, but I will not be coming back home for a week. So a ride up is no problem, but a ride back is.

You say Fuel is paid for, but station choice is limited. Why is that? I run BP Supreme (or so I am led to believe) all the time. If that is not available, I will use Shell or Chevron only. I have my bottles of Biodiesel that I will be adding to the tank.

Like I said, my plan is to leave here at 5am and head straight to portland with as few (and as short as possible) stops as possible. If I pick anyone up, they need to be ready to load up and go by the time I get there. I have a very tight schedule and don't have the time to dilly dally around for 3 hours while they get everything ready. That's what Monday - Thursday of this coming week is for.

If you want to hitch a ride with me, I prefer windows down to A/C on. And I am perfectly content doing 65 - 70 in the slow lane. Ohh, and I do not allow feet on the dashboard. Feet disgust me and I won't have them on my dashboard. LOL.

Sorry, had to get those out of the way. LOL.

But if you are still looking for a ride, send me a PM. I'm always down for someone else paying for my fuel..

Robert

Last edited:

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply! 8am in Bakersfield is no problem. I'd of course be ready and waiting at the predetermined place and time for anybody.

Fuel station choice is limited by where my fuel card works (CFN stations only). I know of a few shell and chevron stations, but bio diesel pumps are probably not available.

I don't mind catching rides from different people there and back, but I need to be back at work Monday or Tuesday.

PS: I agree, feet on dash=disgusting. I don't mind windows down and don't care how somebody else drives their car :p Now if it were my driving in my car, we'd make slightly better time :p

I'm definitely still looking for a ride, if somebody can give me a lift back down south after the fest, this is most convenient for me on the way up!

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ahh. Ok. I am familiar with CFN stations.

They would be fine as they usually have a high turn around on fuel.

So if you can secure a ride back and want to hitch a ride with me on the way up, I am sure we can work this out.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
There's a CFN station selling B5 and B20 in West Sacramento.
Current pricing is $3.06 per gallon, your choice in blend.

Ramos Oil
1515 South River Road
West Sacramento, CA 95691

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I really want to go, but I think it's going to be too much of a hassle and too expensive. Not to mention I'm swamped at work and still have to put my car back together...

:( I think going TDIfest will just have to wait till next year. It would be cool if it was in Denver next year.

Many, many thanks to everybody that offered and helped. I really wish it could of worked out.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
No worries man.

Glad I could have and would have almost sorta helped out.

With any luck, Next years TDI Fest will also be within a reasonable distance so I can make it there too.

36 hours and counting and I will be on the road.