how to install, head to block for correct alignment

fluxcore

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta tdi
have pictures may help. i like to pin head but how many rotation to return piston to proper alignment, what the rotations for the cam and the pistons to complete one cycle. thank PS. have pictures on one Drive i tried to copy and paste but din't pull the picture over. Any experts on this Please.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am not even sure what you are asking.

I *think* you are asking how to install the head? It that correct?

And you are concerned about where the pistons/valves are?

I just put the pistons mid-block, turned forward (direction of engine rotation), then once the head is on, cam lined up at #1 TDC, I roll the crank backwards back up to TDC and line the flywheel mark or crank sprocket fixture up whichever the engine in question uses.

It is a conventional 4-stroke engine. So crank spins twice for every one time the cam does.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Also note with the glow plugs or injectors out the crank should turn easily by hand. If by chance you get a valve / piston contact, it will be very noticeable. If you are gentle and don't force things, there's little chance of damage.

-J

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Agreed, as long as the head, block, and pump are at the correct TDC position there's nothing else. The cam positioned with both #1 lobes up and cam stuck with alignment tool, crank locked at TDC, IP Pinned and adjustment bolts centered but loose enough to turn the gear one tooth to the right for proper alignment and adjustability. Everything should be good.
compu 85 mentioned the check before trying to crank the engine. Don't dare to turn the engine by the cam or bypass this step, catastrophe awaits those whom choose to.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
have pictures may help. i like to pin head but how many rotation to return piston to proper alignment, what the rotations for the cam and the pistons to complete one cycle. thank PS. have pictures on one Drive i tried to copy and paste but din't pull the picture over. Any experts on this Please.
Harvest the url or link, not the actual data. Post back in your post. Physical size matters, TWSS, thumbnails or reduced size link may be an option.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I use two old head boots with the head of the bolt cut off and a notch for a flat screw driver to pull bolts out. That way the head goes down correctly without moving. What oilhammer said is how to clock the crank to set it down if the cam is in the head. If the cam isn't then not as big of a deal until cam is put in to make sure you don't jam the valves into a piston.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk