Anyone have TDI exhaust sound file?

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
With the TT, a sound file wouldn't help you. The system is about as quiet as the original. Perhaps a slightly lower tone to it, but VERY quiet.

BrandonK

Veteran Member
When I was considering the two exhaust upgrades, I thought about it like this...

I figured that I'd have the muffler removed and replaced with straight pipe for $30. Then if I didn't like the sound and feel of the straight pipe, I'd pay the big bucks for a TT system. Worth trying the pipe for $30. Mine has an angled cut, single tip that makes it look a better than an "afterthought." (I'll add some pics in the near future to my sig below.)

I like the straight pipe and will keep it. Engine clatter at idle is a little more noticeable. Once the turbo spins up the car gets quiet, with a little turbo whistle sound coming out of the pipe.

I think a cone filter with a straight pipe exhaust is a nice combo.

------------------
Brandon
Pics of the 2K Bright Pearl Green Upsolutely Jetta TDI

[This message has been edited by brandonk (edited February 01, 2001).]

Smokescreen

Veteran Member
TDI
JettaTD, 1992, Tornado Red
What about at highway speeds? How about the level of sound, is it much more than stock? There isn't that exhuast "drone" sound that so many honduhs have is there?

Smokescreen

Veteran Member
TDI
JettaTD, 1992, Tornado Red
I looked on stealths site, but it doesn't mention if he has straight pipe exhaust setup like brandonk does. In addition, I have real crappy pc speakers here so it doesn't do it justice.
brandonk: in your opinion if you don't mind, compared to stock what is the verdict?

BrandonK

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokescreen:
I looked on stealths site, but it doesn't mention if he has straight pipe exhaust setup like brandonk does. In addition, I have real crappy pc speakers here so it doesn't do it justice.
brandonk: in your opinion if you don't mind, compared to stock what is the verdict?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokescreen, After doing this mod, I think a TT system is pointless. The down pipe is a major performance drain, and as long as I have the factory one I'll keep this straight pipe. If I had a larger diameter downpipe, then I'd consider a TT system because of its larger piping.

Compared to stock...if you don't care about higher performance, leave it as is. But if you chip or tuning box your car, I'd say do the mod. You'd spend $30US and always be able to have them add-in a low cost performance muffler if you didn't like the slightly increased whistle and note. I read somewhere here that a guy did the mod and commented that his VW sounded like a big diesel pick-up. Not even close. For a little back ground... I'm 30 and hate the way those big-ass aftermarket Honda exhausts sound. I believe in performance, not being noticed. Hope this helps you.

------------------
Brandon
Pics of the 2K Bright Pearl Green Upsolutely Jetta TDI