Driver side door lock issue with key only

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem for awhile, but over the past couple weeks it's gotten a LOT worse.

My keyfob stopped working awhile ago, so this is all when using the key to unlock the drivers side door:

1) Walking up to the car when it is fully alarmed, I try to unlock it, it unlocks the physical lock in the drivers side door (none of the others), but does not disarm the alarm, if I open the door (which doesen't set the alarm off) then close it, lock the door, pull the key out, put it back in, then unlock, it _sometimes_ (more often then not) unlocks the door and disarms the alarm, other times I have to do this 10 freaking times to get into my car

2) Locking the car with the key is also problematic, I'll turn the key, and if I just turned off the engine, and got out and turned the key to lock, it more often then not will lock all doors and set the alarm, however, other times it will only lock the drivers side door (none of the others) and won't set the alarm, in which case I continually lock/unlock/lock/unlock while getting frustrated looking like I'm trying to break into/out of my own car.

I've had variances in this too, sometimes it will lock all doors and set the alarm even though my rear drivers side door is unlocked.

I just have no idea what to look at, should I attempt replacing the whole locking mechanism on the drivers side? I've looked at a couple other peoples problems, but they didn't seem the exact same as mine, sorry if I missed a thread.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
Might be your door module from what I read at Vwvortex. You can search Vwvortex for door module for DIY guides.

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Happened to me today really bad, it's kaput, would NOT disarm the alarm, was late for work because of it, ended up opening the trunk (which disarmed the alarm), then starting the car, then closing the trunk... and to top it off, window clips broke yesterday ... cold late drive to work lol.

I'll take a look to see if there is any wire damage when I fix my window tonight.

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Well, it would appear as though me hitting the door lock module around while replacing the window clips helped... it's set and disarmed the alarm without problem ... but we'll see over a couple days.

I did however forget to latch the hook for the door handle, so I can't open my door from the inside LOL

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
I 've had this exact issue for about 6months. However, my alarm stopped working years ago, so I don't have the issue...:rolleyes:

I don't have a answer for this so help is needed. Since it seems that all our cars start having the same issues occurring approx. at the same mileage or years of service someone out there has either fixed the issue or knows how to.

Additionally, from manually, locking and unlocking the door so much now the door locking mechanism is broken. So do I need a whole door lock assembly and would should this part also fix the remote locking issue?:confused:

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
crispy great tread thanks. I have a line on a new door lock module so I'm going to go for that. Thanks:cool: