2010 TDI golf confirmed for North America

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
kcfoxie said:
Fuel economy based on closest to 2L model (some are 1.8L) and all are manual transmissions from fueleconomy.gov.

The accent is in the same class as the Jetta, it's more than a fair comparison as far as defining space.
Space class is a stupid way of comparing vehicles. It is still apples to oranges. The Mercedes C class should also be in the same class as the Accent shouldnt it? Do you think anyone is cross shopping the C class with the Accent? No. Do you think anyone is seriously cross shopping the Jetta to the Accent? If they are they should have their head examined. It is a stupid comparison and everytime I see someone post how the $23k TDI isn't economical because they can buy an Accent for under $10k it just gets me hot. To me they might as well be saying they could get a moped for under $1k. For someone who is in the market for the type of car that the Jetta is, a smaller car that is comfortable and has a descent amount of feature, its price is pretty much industry average. For someone in the market for bare bones transportation, the Jetta should not even be on the radar because even in its most basic form it is much more than basic and is priced accordingly.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
One good thing is if more diesels come online then the used diesel car market will flourish. For example, when the 50 state 09 TDIs came out the used TDIs dropped in price somewhat. I would still consider a 2-3 year old used diesel over a new Accent, although Accent is not a bad car.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
.pdf for GOLF TDI

hey, i remember being able to find .pdf for the upcoming GOLF somehwere on VW site, but for some reason i can't find it anymore, is it gone? did they remove it? or am i just going blind?
any help?

thanks

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
thanks

hey thanks for the link, but i saw that one, i still can't find .pdf file for the new 2010 GOLF, any idea where i can get that?
thanks again

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
Really??

Greetings!!

It's been a while :)

If I understood correctly what I am reading, NAV, Xenon, BT, I am getting the new Golf TDI, even if it means skipping a meal a day :p

Miss my TDI wagon on a daily basis :eek:

P.S. One of these, I need to change my sig.:eek:

backhoeken

Veteran Member
It sure sound nice. With all that and in a TDI.. Guess it's time to start thinking of selling my 2k jetta tdi. What is the realistic time they will start showing up in the dealers

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
I don't think the satellite radio antenna will be damage in the car wash. They sit low to the car compared with AM/FM antennas.

xtoyz

Veteran Member
TDI
Dodge Cummins
Silly question, know this probably is not the right place, but does the Jetta come standard with the sirius antenna even if the car does not have Sirius?

Thanks,
Shawn

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
xtoyz said:
Silly question, know this probably is not the right place, but does the Jetta come standard with the sirius antenna even if the car does not have Sirius?

Thanks,
Shawn
Actually, that's not a silly question. Look above and below my post on a different thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2480319&highlight=antenna#post2480319
Apparently different antennas were used on the same Jetta depending on whether it had Sirius or not. This doesn't say anything about the 2010's, but it does appear that VW used different antennas on the same vehicles in the past.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
How about a Jetta?

If they bumped the option list for a TDI Jetta like this, I may stop looking at an Audi or BMW. I want the nicer options! My 06 Jetta has Climatronic, and I'm not willing to give that up in my next car. I'm spoiled:p

booty

Veteran Member
1.6 vs 2.0

I would buy the 1.6 TDI and a 6 speed. It should be slightly more powerful than my 1.9 and get somewhat better mileage. The 2.0 is to thirsty and I don't need the extra power. I would most likely get a new civic if the 1.6 is not sold in the U.S.

jmarv

TDI
06 bug the wifes car 03 bug 5 spd my car
We are going to be grand parents so my wife is convinced that we need a bigger car.
She was realy wanting a jsw but after showing her a Rabbit and telling her about the 2010 Golf TDI i think we will try and order one this fall.

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
I'm holding out for the upcoming 2010 Golf TDI. There's a waitlist at my local dealer. I've never owned a TDI but have been reading a lot of great things about them and much prefer them to the tinker toy looking hybrids. I'm imagining you are going to pay MSRP if you get on the waitlist, though. When the Jetta TDI was released here how long did the waitlist last? I don't really want to pay sticker plus, especially when we have no clue what sticker will be yet.

Also I've been reading a lot on the forums about problems with the glow plugs and other issues on the new Jetta TDIs. Are these cars as reliable as the reviews tend to suggest or are many people experiencing problems?

I have a 2000 Civic and have only had exhaust, oil and a recent timing belt change with no problems to date. Thing runs like a dream but I want to go Diesel.

Any feedback would be most helpful!

Thanks,

Marlyece

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Please call the VW of Gardengrove, CA to get 2009 TDI sedan or wagon at $1,200 below sticker price. These cars seems not to be moving fast because of pricing, marginal better fuel economy that is susceptable to diesel pricing, reluctance to test new technoloy with compex exhaust plumbing, few knowledgable dealer technicians or mechnics, soon ntroduction of plug in hybrids and electric vehicles, and recession. Also, it has to do with VW dealers atitude who purposely keeps the TDI at backburners unless someone wants to pay premium. Since there are no takers, the dealers now have to offfer discounts. You may also call VW of Downtown LA for similar discounts. There is dealer in New York who is also offering discounts to move these cars (see ads in New York Post, usually the Thursday editions). TDIs, like hybrid, are great as long as there are no problems. Unfortuately, as may noted in this website, by the time these vehicles reach 50k to 60k, many of them develop issues that are difficult to solve. With gas engines now easily lasting more than 200k (my Ford Aerostar has reached 215k miles on the original engine and transmission and without failing bi-annual smog inspections), the attraction attributed to longitivity for diesels has diminished. Beside, even if you are able to reach 300k plus miles, by that time the paint most likely has faded, uphostery deterioted, and the shape out of time. So you may then decide to replace or are just tired of driving the squiky car.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
so with $1,200 below MSRP, and $1,300 Tax Credit, thats $2,500 discount of lets say base JSW $25K price, but now with that new CARS program where government gives you $3500 or $4500 and with upgrade to Diesel im sure most people will be able to achieve that 10mpg increase to qualify for full $4,500 credit towards new car, or however it works, your total discount is now $7,000, thats 7 fr**kin grand, off the $25 K price and you have yourself a $18,000 TDI Wagon.
but to be fair, lets say you get it at MSRP still you can get it for $19,200 roughly.

the only problem, this new CARS program from uncle Sam only qualifies people with cars that get 18mpg or less, which i think is unfair.
i'm looking to get rid of my impala next year for a TDI Wagon *(2010 model with few changes to the body, i think it looks better) but my .GOV rated MPG's are 22 MPG while JSW TDI combined MPG is 34. i can still achieve a 12 MPG increase *(only 10 required for $4500) credite, why shouldn't i qualify? to be honest if i qualified, i might just run out next month and get a current model to make sure i get that $4500 credit, since it works in same way as TDI's and Hybrids, only first 60,000 people get it, and then it's reduced or something

anyone else hear different? is there a way for me to get that $4500 credit + $1300 tax diesel credit and i can get my Wagon for $5,800 off MSRP how great is that.
TDI wagon for under 20K

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
Marlyece said:
I'm holding out for the upcoming 2010 Golf TDI. There's a waitlist at my local dealer. I've never owned a TDI but have been reading a lot of great things about them and much prefer them to the tinker toy looking hybrids. I'm imagining you are going to pay MSRP if you get on the waitlist, though. When the Jetta TDI was released here how long did the waitlist last? I don't really want to pay sticker plus, especially when we have no clue what sticker will be yet.
I spoke with a local dealer last week about the waitlist for the upcoming Golf TDI. Speaking with what I presume was the sales manager I asked about using the Costco buying program to order a TDI (if, for example they allow the dealers to special order as opposed to simply allocate whatever they feel like to the various dealers) and he said that while they can't use the Costco program for a true special order, they would honor the pricing in general. If that's all you care about (I wanted the Costco cash card) then maybe you can explore that option with your dealer.

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
One other thing, regarding getting on the dealer's waitlist for the new Golf... I am personally reluctant to put down a $500 deposit without knowing not just the price, but options as well as a firm expectation of when this mythical beast will materialize. VW website says "fall" but the dealer staff says "probably after Jan 1 2010, but we hope this year." Furthermore, not having actually seen a MKVI Golf in person, I won't be putting the cash down yet.

I'm going to Spain next week so I'll try to pop into a dealer and see what its like, or just see them on the street. If I like what I see I'll probably put the deposit down upon my return.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Deposits are almost always refundable, deposits on a new Golf TDI will of course be refundable.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Camarones said:
I am personally reluctant to put down a $500 deposit without knowing not just the price, but options as well as a firm expectation of when this mythical beast will materialize.
Cruise the forum for old threads on the experiences of people getting on waitlists for the current Jetta Station Wagon. Lots of different (and almost always positive, IIRC) stories about how dealers handled it, what kind of agreements and contingencies people had on their deposits, etc.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Dodoma said:
TDIs, like hybrid, are great as long as there are no problems. Unfortuately, as may noted in this website, by the time these vehicles reach 50k to 60k, many of them develop issues that are difficult to solve. With gas engines now easily lasting more than 200k (my Ford Aerostar has reached 215k miles on the original engine and transmission and without failing bi-annual smog inspections), the attraction attributed to longitivity for diesels has diminished. Beside, even if you are able to reach 300k plus miles, by that time the paint most likely has faded, uphostery deterioted, and the shape out of time. So you may then decide to replace or are just tired of driving the squiky car.
Dodoma, on the off chance that you're not just trolling, you must be new around here. :eek: While the TDIs (like all VWs) may have little things going wrong from the get-go, there is little specific to the TDI engine that causes "many" of them to develop "issues that are difficult to solve", especially at just 50-60,000 miles. Unless, of course, the owner just doesn't give a flying Fig Newtin about maintenance (in which case any gasser he/she owns is in trouble, too).

There are more attractions than longevity to diesels, too. There's the fuel mileage you get, the torque available from the moment you press on the pedal, and the ability to run on alternative fuels (besides gasoline, what else will your Aerostar run on?). All of this applies to any diesel offered by any manufacturer, not just VW. And some of us take good enough care of our cars that 10-15 years is still too soon for the car to look embarrassingly shabby.

Hardly any car is an investment. However, most of us buying diesels are willing to spend a little more money and time and care on our cars so that we can get a much longer life out of our cars than the typical gasser. I don't care that my '03 is going to look out of date in another 10-15 years. It looks out of date now that the new Jetta has been introduced, anyway. What I want is to spend my money and resources as carefully as possible. Throwing away a gasser every 200,000 miles (if it indeed gets that far) is not the way to do it.

backhoeken

Veteran Member
Statement from dealer

I stopped in the dealer this morning to get a "status" on the new golf. The sales manager told me he is taking a wait list but not to expect it before November 2010