TDIFest 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
Hamsterdiesel said:
There is a huge problem with anyone referring to our Annual TDIFest as a GTG...The big difference between the two is that the Fest is a fundraiser....

I respectfully believe that we are debating semantics when addressing the difference, if any, between an assembly of TDI owners in a "TDIFest" and those in a "GTA". Both are basically the same in regards to purpose, goals, characteristics.

Both events share a common purpose of getting together with others to share, talk, admire, discuss, review, debate, etc...etc...issues relating to their diesel-powered cars (typically VW's). The goals of these gatherings typically emphasize "learning about" these diesel-powered cars about their maintenance, trouble-shooting, performance, improvements; together with the sheer joy of viewing each other's cars, and give/receive complementary comments regarding them. There is also a social component to both events whereby people meet, and make new friends, and share food, beer, stories, etc. Both events, at least the ones I've attended in the past, have charged a nominal fee to participate in the event. I, personally, do not mind paying a reasonable fee (cost-covering charge) because I understand, and perhaps willing to recognize, that there is a considerable time and dedication in planning for these event. In this sense, there is no distinguishing factors between the two. Perhaps one can contrast the two events by "duration". Typically, a "GTG" last a half-day, at most, while a "Fest" is three.

On the other hand, there may be potential pitfalls and risks involved in characterizing the distinguishing factor as being a "fundraiser" and the other not. What, then, is the real purpose of the gathering? Typically, "fundraising" activities are governed by very complicated "rules", intricate set of "regulations", and certain "disclosure" requirements. I seriously doubt that "fundraising" is the overriding distinguishing principle between the two events. One's characterization of a "Fest", and another's factual finding, while complimentary, at times, may also be mutually exclusive.

Hamsterdiesel said:
Stop the 'Wouldn't it be cool to have the Fest here' posts. They are a waste of time. Start talking to your local TDIers instead. Get to know others in your area. See if you have a local group that can commit the amount of time and energy necessary to plan and run a successful event. Then, and only then can you begin to consider locale.
That's easier said than done. Most individuals require time and energy to devote to their own personal matters and affairs; such as work, family, etc. In my past effort to "organize" a local group for social purposes only (i.e., no money involved), I got ZERO response. Most that did respond argued "other" commitments, and "not enough time" on their hands (and probably so).

Perhaps a better approach, in deciding "bids" for a "TDIFest", is to compose a committee for that purpose. Committee members, and a Chair, would represent differenct regions. Members would be responsible for "scouting" ideal areas within their region where a "Fest" could be held in future years. Each region would then put together a proposal Etc..Etc...Etc.... Ever heard how the location for the Olympic Games is chosen??? That way it is not always "crunch time".
What I've noticed so far is that there is too much fragmentation, and little coordination, in "placing a bid" amongst those attempting the feat.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
WPB TDI FRED said:
Perhaps a better approach, in deciding "bids" for a "TDIFest", is to compose a committee for that purpose. Committee members, and a Chair, would represent differenct regions. Members would be responsible for "scouting" ideal areas within their region where a "Fest" could be held in future years. Each region would then put together a proposal Etc..Etc...Etc.... Ever heard how the location for the Olympic Games is chosen??? That way it is not always "crunch time".
What I've noticed so far is that there is too much fragmentation, and little coordination, in "placing a bid" amongst those attempting the feat.
Ding Ding Ding FTW

moreover, I feel TDIClub should actually become a non profit 501 or type organization

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Fest = centered at a large hotel/convention center

GTG = held at a home, shop, park or other casual setting

They are not the same - a GTG tends to be informal and emphasizes wrenching. The Fest is more organized and slanted towards showing the cars/socializing plus many hotels do not permit heavy wrenching on their property (read = no timing belts, suspension overhauls, etc. type work). The Lake Mills, WI 2005 Fest was an exception as a good portion of it was centered around a repair shop so that one was heavy on the wrenching aspect.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
WPB TDI FRED said:
[/COLOR]
That's easier said than done. Most individuals require time and energy to devote to their own personal matters and affairs; such as work, family, etc. In my past effort to "organize" a local group for social purposes only (i.e., no money involved), I got ZERO response. Most that did respond argued "other" commitments, and "not enough time" on their hands (and probably so).

What’s funny here is that you see my point, yet you are trying to debate it.

The fragmentation in the bidding process that you see comes from responsible individuals trying to make something happen in their area, but not getting any local support.

You tried to organize something and couldn’t get other volunteers to commit the time & energy needed to make the event happen - once. Are you saying that the same people every year around the country should be responsible for their area’s Fest bids? That’s a downright selfish attitude – ‘I want a Fest, but let someone else do the work.’

Everyone wants a Fest every year, but not many EVER want to take on the responsibility. To expect the same people every year to take that on is inconsiderate, especially when this club has some 15,000+ “active” members.

Seeing as you just joined TDIclub in ’06, you may not know that the Fest was started by club members as a “Thank You” to Fred for his commitment in maintaining the free website, TDIclub.com. Notice that this website is still free – it costs nothing to join.

In the 10 years this webpage/site has been in existence, Fred has never charged a membership fee yet has had to do multiple upgrades to software, servers etc. not to mention the amount of time he puts into making sure everything is up and running. He even responds to people personally when they have problems using his free site. Fred has a job. Fred has a life. Fred also commits serious time here so that there is a TDIClub.com to enjoy - EVERY year.

As I said, Fred’s commitment has now been 10 years long. It is truly sad that the numbers of members on this site have grown exponentially, yet less and less members ever consider donating enough of their time for one year to pull off a successful Fest as a thank you to Fred, and to help cover the costs of upgrades, etc.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
W T F also it could be attitude. The country is leaning more towards 'its all about me', 'Not can I help'. The Fest is a 1 year commitment. There are a lot of eyes looking at what the group does. Expectations are high and there are a lot of ideas out there. It takes a lot of work to make "fest harmony". Criticism is easy to expound on and difficult to resolve.

ericbecky

O.k. guys, I sure hope you pull together a Fest this year. If there is anything I can do from here in Madison, Wisconsin to help please let me know.

I have mentioned before that it was your TDIFest that inspired us to start Hybridfest – A Hybrid Electric Car Show and More! It was help from your Lake Mills organizers that put us on the path to success. I made sure to recognize this at the awards banquet last year.

We are working hard to expand the “…and More!” portion of Hybridfest in 2007 by including biodiesel, and other alternative fueled vehicles. Last year we had a diesel hybrid-electric Chevy Equinox, and it'll probably be there again this year.

Our festival is in Madison the weekend of July 21st in conjunction with the Dane County Fair. They have over 20,000 people to come through the Fair during the days we will be there, and we will have 45,000 sq feet of indoor exhibit space, plus outdoor stuff, too.

Anyway, if there is any way I can help you guys, please feel free to contact me via PM. I am open to ideas.

Last edited:

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
Hamsterdiesel said:
What’s funny here is that you see my point, yet you are trying to debate it.
Your post essentially raised two issues. I offered suggestions on your first point, but I essentially concurred with you on the second.

Hamsterdiesel said:
The fragmentation in the bidding process that you see comes from responsible individuals trying to make something happen in their area, but not getting any local support... Are you saying that the same people every year around the country should be responsible for their area’s Fest bids? That’s a downright selfish attitude (Emphasis mine) – ‘I want a Fest, but let someone else do the work.’ ....
I never stated that, and your interpretation is a quantum extrapolation of what was, in fact, stated.
If the same people want to volunteer year-after-year to try to organize a Fest/GTG in their region, then that is their choice. The ideal situation would be, however, that A,B,and C would volunteer to try to put a Fest/GTG in zone 1 in year 07, D,E,and F would volunteer to try to put a Fest/GTG in zone 1 in year, 08, and so on for different regions. Each year the bids are all taken by a certain date, and a decision is made thereafter(however THAT process is run) for that year. Then so on for the following year, etc. etc. That way, there is no gripes about "planning time" being too short.

Leo819 said:
I feel TDIClub should actually become a non profit 501 or type organization
You may have a point. While not too sure how it would "fit" under 501(c)(3) of the Code, as those types of organizations are typically limited to operate for a religious, charitable, educational, literary, or scientific purpose.

However, personal liability would be a concern for me, and perhaps others as well. I believe you yourself even expressed the same concern while organizing the recent Fest with the "beer event" that some had suggested. And in a "dry" state such as PA ?? Yikes !!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
WPB, to get an idea of what's involved, host a GTG at your house with over 50 cars and 100+ people in attendance (Hamster and PeterV have, multiple times). Now multiply it by 4, add hotel, food, vendor and travel accommodations to the list, and you may just have a clue of the amount of work necessary.

Forming a regional committee will not work, IMO. You need at least 6 people with local knowledge, local business contacts, and large event experience to pull off a successful fest. It takes many meetings with hotels, restaurants, tourism bureaus, and local attractions just to put a proposal together. The TDI-owning population density is far greater in the northeast, which is why the Fest tends to be there. There is a surprising amount of people willing to put in the time and effort to plan and host this event in New England, but other regions seem to be lacking this. Maybe it's the geography, population density, or the planetary alignment, I don't know.

If you want the Fest in your area, use your regional forum to recruit members who will help make it happen.

Last edited:

savd4one

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat Wagon - evil gasser :)
imho...and experience being on a fest staff...it's not as difficult as you all are making it sound. it's typically the people that you are working with that can be difficult. wasn't the first fest put on by 1 person?

yes, it's a lot of work; yes, i too think tdiclub should be more "officially" organized

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
You were on the Fest staff, but were not at the hotel Saturday OR Sunday to help run the event. It wouldn't have been as difficult for you.

The first Fest had about 40 people in attendance.

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
WPB TDI FRED said:
I never stated that, and your interpretation is a quantum extrapolation of what was, in fact, stated.

If the same people want to volunteer year-after-year to try to organize a Fest/GTG in their region, then that is their choice. The ideal situation would be, however, that A,B,and C would volunteer to try to put a Fest/GTG in zone 1 in year 07, D,E,and F would volunteer to try to put a Fest/GTG in zone 1 in year, 08, and so on for different regions. Each year the bids are all taken by a certain date, and a decision is made thereafter(however THAT process is run) for that year. Then so on for the following year, etc. etc. That way, there is no gripes about "planning time" being too short.
Don't you see the fundamental error here? We do not have enough volunteers. Not enough people are choosing to volunteer for anything, period.

IN reality, we do NOT have an ideal situation. Everyone knows how an ideal situation would work. I have been trying to get everyone to look at this from a realistic point of view.

Fest History/Geography lesson:

The original plan was to have the Fest on a schedule of East Coast, West Coast, Central and repeat.

#1 - N.C. (East)
#2 - UT (as close to the West as anyone would volunteer)
#3 - MI (Central)
#4 - Toronto (East enough?)
#5 - Boston (No other proposals submitted) - East
#6 - WI (Central) (No other proposals submitted)
#7 - PA (East) (No other proposals submitted)

You see the pattern breaking down? No one is breaking down the doors here to keep the Fest going. Volunteers are scarce. That's why drumming up local interest in TDIClub is so important.

savd4one

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat Wagon - evil gasser :)
i was speaking in generalities - NOT about any of the squables that went on behind the scenes - working with different people with different personalities and different opinions frequently creates difficulties. this happens in any number of situations, not just planning a fest.

so julie, next you try to make some snide comment about where i was or wasn't...think first about what you're going to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
C'mon, guys! It's was only a 'fest. Let it go, already.

To everyone else:
If you didn't like the last one, or the one before that, then decide what you'd like to do, make a plan to do it, and then actually do it.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
savd4one said:
hmm, i wonder who's still bitter...

i was speaking in generalities - NOT about any of the squables that went on behind the scenes - working with different people with different personalities and different opinions frequently creates difficulties. this happens in any number of situations, not just planning a fest.

so julie, next you try to make some snide comment about where i was or wasn't...think first about what you're going to say.
Hummm..... I'm glad I was totally ignorant of the "behind the door squables" that apparently went on during the recent Fest. That's probably why I enjoyed myself while there.

While getting there late Friday, and dead tired, I managed to meet a few very nice individuals, including "the other" Fred. I talked and met a few people after that on following morning. Drove two total strangers to breakfast Saturday morning to Dunkin' Donuts as if we've known each other for years, and had a great chat over breakfast. Got a chance to look around the place and all the cars, and the displays, etc..etc.. Also took some time to explore the city, and so on.

And when I started the long drive back home early Monday morning, I was left with the thought that: "Gee, I had a great time at this thing called a "TDIFest", and would likely attend next year's event as well" time, money, and health permitting.

But perhaps this thing is getting too complicated......

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
I'm sure there have been squabbles behind the scenes of every Fest...no need to go back there - to any of them. I'm not bitter in the least. And where do you get snide? I'm not the one sounding bitter here.

I didn't want you to mislead the next crew to run a Fest by saying it wasn't that difficult when you weren't there to know what was and wasn't difficult...

This thread is about TDIFest 2007...

BTW, 'other Fred';) - I am glad to hear that you had a good time at this year's Fest and that we left you with a desire to come back to the next!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've lead, coordinated, and managed many meetings in hotels in my prior life as a training consultant. They are always difficult, things always go wrong, and people always complain. All you can do is to try to be prepared for issues that you think will come up, and be present and prepared to deal with the ones that surprise you. Preparation isn't too tough because you've got time. But managing the event is very, very hard work. I salute everyone that has done this in the past, I've been there.

I've attended the last three Fests and they've all been different. I have my preferences, but they may not be shared by the larger community. And any one of the last three was good enough to keep me coming back (obviously). I have few doubts that this year's will be a good one two, regardless of who does the work and where it's held.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Back on topic?

Right then. All criticisms aside, who is down for he 07 Fest? I'm certain there are some plans in the works. Who's in? Also, for future Fests, it would b an excellent idea to return to the original iea of a Fest in theach of the time zones consecutively. HOWEVER, this depends soley on volunteerism. If nobody volunteers to set up and organize a Fest, it just wont happen.

I for one would love to go to a West coast Fest, or a Southern one, Midwest would be nice as well, WI was as close as I got personally. If we truly have 15,000 active members, this should be more than doable. While I have not set up events of the magnitude of IBW, I used to set up several from 100-2000 persons, complete with fundrasing prior and during, bands, awards, etc. I ususally had a team of 4-5 people an we got it done splendidly......for no money. Did I mention I was a teenager at the time? And had no coaching?

The 07 Fest deadline sadly is over.Lets talk about potential plans for 08. This way, those who have far to travel can start making arrangements early. And to this years contestants.....good luck!

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
VW Derf said:
...I should have an announcement to make in regards to TDIFest 2007 in the coming days.
Fred
Stay tuned...

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
You guys really are making me feel bad about missing Lake Mills. I was reading the board then, contemplating buying a VW diesel then, and wanted to go. I was finishing up a masters and I had midterms just before that so I didn't go (Was exhausted). (I didn't have the car yet, so I didn't register on the board but I was lurking hard at the time.)

It basically was in my backyard, too.. :(

Are you guys cool with fly-in's to the events if they are far away? I don't have time to drive 2K round trip (unless I made a vacation of it.. not likely), but would certainly fly.. I'd accept a certain amount of teasing for the rental car, too..

Just wondering. I am anxious to make it to a GTG or fest... sounds like a lot of fun.

Fred

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
FredIA said:
You guys really are making me feel bad about missing Lake Mills. I was reading the board then, contemplating buying a VW diesel then, and wanted to go. I was finishing up a masters and I had midterms just before that so I didn't go (Was exhausted). (I didn't have the car yet, so I didn't register on the board but I was lurking hard at the time.)

It basically was in my backyard, too.. :(

Are you guys cool with fly-in's to the events if they are far away? I don't have time to drive 2K round trip (unless I made a vacation of it.. not likely), but would certainly fly.. I'd accept a certain amount of teasing for the rental car, too..

Just wondering. I am anxious to make it to a GTG or fest... sounds like a lot of fun.

Fred
Fred flew in from Vancouver in 2006 after driving in 2005. I drove both years, and in 2006, I think I was the only one who drove from Minnesota. There were a few that drove from farther west than me - there was one couple from British Columbia, there was Ernie Rogers - did I miss anyone? Were we the only ones who drove more than a thousand miles one way?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
FredIA, there is no requirement to own any car, let alone a VW TDI to attend a local GTG or a national fest. Any enthusiast is always welcome.

Derf himself put up his first TDI page in 1995, and didn't buy a TDI until 2003.

Fly-ins are always welcome. For some people with a time limit it's the only way to make it. I flew to the first fest in Wilmington SC.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
WPB TDI FRED said:
Nope....I think there were 3-4 cars from the Sunshine State....a 2-day drive each way.....
How long it took is irrelevant. Didn't Ernie drive 52 MPH somewhere cross-country recently and got 79+ MPG? The normal person would have drove 75-85 and cut at least one day off the drive.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
whitedog said:
The normal person would have drove 75-85 and cut at least one day off the drive.
Considering that the speed limit in most areas of I-95 is 65mph, driving "75-85" dosen't seem too "normal" to me....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
WPB TDI FRED said:
Considering that the speed limit in most areas of I-95 is 65mph, driving "75-85" dosen't seem too "normal" to me....
From all that I have heard, You are right. "Normal" is actually 85-90.

What you mean is that 75-85 does not seem "legal".

The posted speed limit and the actual typical speed will always be very different.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
If you fly in to the fest, I wouldn't bother with a rental car. You can usually prearrange a ride from the airport and if you want to go off-site, pick any one of your 200+ new friends and ask for a ride. Chances are, you'll find someone going to the same place.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
whitedog said:
From all that I have heard, You are right. "Normal" is actually 85-90.

What you mean is that 75-85 does not seem "legal".

The posted speed limit and the actual typical speed will always be very different.
The subject of your sentence was the "person" not the speed limit. So, I was responding to the person's driving behavior; not the legality of the speed. I do agree, however, that in most circumstances, the act of the person is neither "normal" nor "legal" at "75-85".

Perhaps a caveat to my statement is except when driving on I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. There, the speed limit is "80", but some may argue that even then, the "act" is still stupid.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
WPB TDI FRED said:
Nope....I think there were 3-4 cars from the Sunshine State....a 2-day drive each way.....
Jacksonville is about 850 miles from KoP.

Status
Not open for further replies.