TDIFest 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
As mentioned on Sunday night it is now time to starting thinking about next years TDIFest and we are currently taking bids.

If you are interested, please do the following by October 21, 2006.
Here are some requirments and info that should be figured out before a poposal is submitted by that date.
1) Find a group of people (6 or more) to work with you on the planning and implementation. This will help divide up the work, and keep problems from arising should 1 or 2 move away.
2) Figure out who will be the leader.
3) Get a rough idea of costs, event places, etc
4) Submit a email to me with details on the people involved and what your plans are.
The data has traditionally been the Labour Day (or Labor Day for those in the US) weekend. This could be moved if there is a good enough reason, but remember, no date is ever perfect for everyone. Also remember these plans don't have to be set in stone. If you have something planned for Saturday morning and it has to be Sunday afternoon, that is fine. Things will change. Feel free to post questions here or email me.
Please post any questions you may have as we have all learned a lot from past fests on how to make these things better than ever.
Thanks,
Fred

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
One other item I'm adding due to the size these fests are becoming is experience with large events. Please include any experience you and your group have with large events.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
As you guys are working on these things, feel free to ask me (or the past organizers) questions. It can help in the proposal process.

biofan

TDI
2003 Jetta
What is timeframe on decision?

Just curious--when is a decision made about where to have the TDI Fest? I've mentioned this trip as a vacation possibility to the family, with generally positive results. There's no way I'm driving to the East Coast, but somewhere in the southwest or midwest is a definite possibility for summer of 08 or 09. (O7's already planned out to the inch.) I'm looking at attending as my best chance to get my 03 Jetta chipped.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
biofan said:
Just curious--when is a decision made about where to have the TDI Fest? I've mentioned this trip as a vacation possibility to the family, with generally positive results. There's no way I'm driving to the East Coast, but somewhere in the southwest or midwest is a definite possibility for summer of 08 or 09. (O7's already planned out to the inch.) I'm looking at attending as my best chance to get my 03 Jetta chipped.
If you have read the Thread you would have seen that the deadline on Bids for this years fest is October 21st
The Fest's have been as follows........
2000 Wilmington NC
2001 Park City Utah
2002 Grand Rapids Michigan
2003 Toronto Canada
2004 Boston Area Mass(New England )
2005 Lake Mills Wisconsin
2006 King of Prussia Pa

A group of people need to GTG and organize
The only Group I have seen show an interest so far is Central FL we will see.....

biofan

TDI
2003 Jetta
Not to be persnickety, but I did read the thread, and you didn't answer my question. I was curious about when the decision is made each year about the site of the TDI fest for the following year. Speaking personally, it would be nice if some midwesterners (or even west coasters) could get it together to put one on so more of us west of the Mississippi could plan to attend. I know of only 2-3 TDI folk in my county, so we'd be hard-pressed to mount such an effort. Maybe the greater Northwest as a whole?

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Sorry! Fred make's the decision shortly after the date listed.......
Based on what I have seen so far not much interest has been expressed so far for the 07 Fest.......We could conceivably not even have one.......

Last edited:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
The deadline is drawing very near guys. I've heard a lot of talk, but plans are needed to work with from this. Should there be a group out there that has not contacted me that is interested in hosting next years fest or a little extention is required. PLEASE contact me ASAP.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
If you have read the Thread you would have seen that the deadline on Bids for this years fest is October 21st
The Fest's have been as follows........
2000 Wilmington NC
2001 Park City Utah
2002 Grand Rapids Michigan
2003 Toronto Canada
2004 Boston Area Mass(New England )
2005 Lake Mills Wisconsin
2006 King of Prussia Pa

A group of people need to GTG and organize
The only Group I have seen show an interest so far is Central FL we will see.....
About bloomin time to bring it WEST!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
An extention has been requested to get the last few things together for a group and I have granted that. Please have things together for October 31st, 2006.

Thanks for working on this guys!

Fred

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Thanks FRED for the extension date line! (for the GTG)

I am in Colorado, maybe I CAN get it organized here!
There are close to seven TDI owners here, I will contact them ASAP.
I will get back to you, also ASAP.

Don't you...(anyone) think that it WOULD be FANTASTIC to have it in the mountains for ONCE? AND in the middle of the country?

John
Pagosa Springs,Colorado
(60miles east of Durango on 160/14 from Wolf Creek Pass 10.300elev.)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Note to all it is NOT an easy task to do ie doing a FEST.

There are only a small number of TDIers that have been to all of them.

Even fewer have done one and fewer still that have done 2 as organizers/advisors.

Your group better be prepared to work as a team. Also be prepared to spend a lot of time planning and even more time doing.

Good luck!

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
I'd love to see one in Colorado, and I'm sure there are many others.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
You are slightly late getting out of the box as they say. Every one wants a fest local to themselves. I'll tell you I remember the Park City Fest I the 3 toasted turbos. The Mtns are great but the flat landers should realize the ECU needs some time to adjust.

It is scarey to see 40,000 members looking at whatyou are doing,but only have 200 in attendance.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Note to all it is NOT an easy task to do ie doing a FEST.

Your group better be prepared to work as a team. Also be prepared to spend a lot of time planning and even more time doing.

Good luck!

BUT IN THE END IT'S ALL JIGGY :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Leo819 said:
BUT IN THE END IT'S ALL JIGGY :D
AFTER the end it's all jiggy. It the the 'leading up to' and the 'during' that really tries patience and friendships.

TDI
2001 Jetta IV GLS TDI
TDI Fest 2007

I will try to get something together in Louisville, KY. There are many vw enthusiasts in this city.
If I cannot get anything together here I will surely volunteer wherever it is held and expect me there for my first TDI Fest.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Good to see some more interest. It is late, but not over yet. Think seriously folks. The deadline approaches. You dont have much more time for your bid!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Gtg

I bid for the GTG to come to Colorado! :D

I am talking with the city and community "big shots" about this and they love the idea! The corvette club, many HD(motorcycle) clubs, and at least two bicycle rides came by here this past summer, they want MORE!
There is a folk festival occurring the same LABOR DAY weekend, so hotels/motels will have to be bought up EARLY(not just reserved) :eek: !

Let's bring it HERE !

Pagosa Springs, Colorado :confused:
60 miles east of Durango,
285 miles(on 285 south) of Denver
457 from SLC, Ut
835 from Los Angeles
1.050 from Houston Pagosa is in the middle of the US !
1.097 from Saint Louis,Mo
1.137 From San fransisco,CA
1.217 from Portland
1.287 from Chicago
1,973 from King of Prussia(Philly)
2.062 from New Yak
2.255 from Boston

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
bikeprof said:
Thanks FRED for the extension date line! (for the GTG)

I am in Colorado, maybe I CAN get it organized here!
There are close to seven TDI owners here, I will contact them ASAP.
I will get back to you, also ASAP.

Don't you...(anyone) think that it WOULD be FANTASTIC to have it in the mountains for ONCE? AND in the middle of the country?
John
Pagosa Springs,Colorado
(60miles east of Durango on 160/14 from Wolf Creek Pass 10.300elev.)

Since you asked, I respectfully answer with a clear: NO.

I happened to be driving through US-160 in June, 2006 (while doing a 6,500+ summer road trip), and while the scenery was nice, I hate to say that there is NOTHING out there in Colorado to incorporate with a Fest.

The few little towns out there (Durango, Pagosa Springs, South Fork, Del Norte) are nothing but one-hour-or-less towns (meaning that towns have 10 streets or less, and one will be able to see and do, everything that there is to see and do, in one-hour or less). Thus, the area offers little or nothing to incorporate with a Fest, and Fest-related (or UNrelated) activities. Moreover, the place I stayed for the night in Durango was a dump (principally because the choices were to either stay in dump #1 or in dump #2). I chose dump #1 because I was dead tired after driving some 12hrs from Long Beach, CA.

So, in short, while I may have arguably harshly criticized the area for the purpose of hosting a Fest, I am calling it as I see it. The area might be great for skiing, but I think any serious area to be considered must offer a variety of "things" to do and see to accomodate various interests (in addition to Fest-related activities). Factors such as the availability of acceptable accomodations, "tourist" appeal, national attractions, etc..etc. are to be weighted heavily. For example, Philadelphia, in my opinion, had them all.

And by the way, who in their right mind is going to deny a kid his/her fundamental right to go visit the Magic Kingdom, and say hello to Mickey Mouse, because they chose to be 40 hrs and 2,500 miles away? :D

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr Fred: OUCH...:(

Well, I tried and you have got the word.
Hope that it,(the GTG) won't be too far away and that it is NOT flat and boring...

John

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
WPB TDI FRED said:
I hate to say that there is NOTHING out there in Colorado to incorporate with a Fest.
OH PLEASE!!!:rolleyes:
Mr Fred is intitled to an opinion, even a verbous & predjudiced one, but I disagree with his observations. Colorado has plenty to offer. If interest persists, we can move forward with Pagosa or look at Denver or Colorado Springs. I'm sorry, but I could give a rip about Mickey Mouse.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Bottom line.......
If you want to host a TDI Fest! Follow Fred's instruction's above and submit a proposal......His original drop dead date was October 21.......
How much interest was there he obviously didn't have bids prior to that date!!

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Question?

So if the organizers do not get their proposals in by the end of this month there will be no TDI Fest??? Say it isn't so:eek: Or will it be pushed out a few weeks? If Florida gets it together they could have it a little later than Labor Day, although this would make it difficult for those who plan ahead and/or need the Fest to be on a holidy weekend.

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
I would love it if someone decided to do another one in King of Prussia...but that's just me ;)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If he gets no proposal, I assume that means there will be no fest..........
I understand the FL bid went bust,so that's out......
I would be bummed also, I have been to all of them but 1!but the fest is a large undertaking and it takes a dedicated group of committed people to pull it off !! go to any of the previous organizers and ask....They will tell you

Maven

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Black/Black, PKG2
Old Navy's GTG looked like a success. Midwest prices are some of the lowest in the nation...yeah, Montana will always beat them.

I tried to think about this from another perspective, instead of geographical distance, what about distance based on density of population?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_center_of_U.S._population

If we throw a net encompassing a more lax standard, then you get a boundry of roughly

St Louis, MO - Memphis, TN - Nashville, TN - Little Rock, AR - Indianapolis, IN

Now I myself am up for an adventure and love the East Coast, some of the West, any mountain range, I could go on...but staying on task and thinking of the majority of people and their families and the needs of the many...well, it comes down to what is the point of convergence that does not extend beyond the majority of people and still encourages the travelers to travel afar.

At least we aren't planning a 'homecoming' like in the BMW clubs and heading to the factory for a GTG. I think heading south of the border would inconvience more than a few of the group.:p

And lest we not forget our neighbors to the north...bad me. Too bad I don't have census figures to work off Canada's population either, but I am guessing it would move the center closer to Indianapolis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.