To help future planners of TDIFests

What type of tourist opportunity would you like at the site of the next Fest?

• Planners should plan 1-2 activities in the general vicinity of the next Fest for us.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Be sure there are a variety of tourist-y things nearby. I will plan what I do on my own.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I don't care what's nearby. I just want to hang at the hotel with the rest of my TDI buddies.

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I thought this would be a good time and forum to post this poll to help future fest planners.

It is important to gauge how interested fest attendees are in 'tourist' type activities in the area surrounding the site of the Fest. This will help direct the planning efforts of future coordinators.

I'd also like folks to comment on whether or not you'd expect the planners to 'plan' activities for you, or if you are more likely to plan on your own. Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?

Please limit your comments to this topic. Please don't go off into what you did & didn't like about this and previous Fests. Let's try to keep this focused only on the tourist activity question.

Thanks!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Remember the committee will NOT enjoy much of the Fest! Plan plan plan and get accurate QUOTES for everything. Quotes are the only way to adjust for costs. Also be timely late is late and you can not recover from late.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
One activity could be fun, but loafing around with other TDIers is the whole point of the fest right? ;)

-Jason

savd4one

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat Wagon - evil gasser :)
how about let the planners plan the fest. they're the ones that know the area the best.

kpaske

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I want to go to a TDI Fest - the last one was too far for me, being on the West Coast.

If I have to drive a good distance, I'd prefer to spend a couple of days in the area sightseeing, so somewhere in the vicinity of something interesting would likely draw a larger crowd. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and I don't need anyone to plan anything for me. :)

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Make sure people have choices

Julie - good question - when I was planning on attending, I liked the fact there was a few activities outside the site that were available - the beer trip, etc.

My feeling is that the planners should try for 1 and 2 at the abosolutely most activities that feature their place. I like to learn about a place that I am visiting. I also like to hang too, so I could have checked all 3 boxes on that question.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hamsterdiesel said:
Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?
No - I make my own options up but you already know that, right? ;)

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Thoughts for future TDI Fests

Get some attention from national News broadcasts. Bring Honda in they might want to introduce their Honda Diesel there.
Work in several spots around the country where you can have folks meet and travel from. Plot out Fuel stations for everyone, make sure there are BIO Diesel pumps available. Imagine 50 miles of TDI on the highway all going to Disney or else where. I live in Panama City Beach, FL and would probably come down, if my wife lets me.

Think of a catchy title like TDIour de America if you use it just give me credits. or a free shirt...

Work up a bandana for everyone to where around so you know who is a TDI'er.

Labor day is going to be way to many folks in Disney, shoot for an open weekend. If folks are driving they have to take off more than one day anyway.

Try to get some endorsments form Redline fuel additives and Optima batteries and other things that we talk about on TDI.

Get that girl who wrote the book on BIO Diesel to do a seminar on how to make your own.

I don't like him but get Willie Nelson and his BIO Diesel delivery system, maybe you can get some for free.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
Hamsterdiesel said:
It is important to gauge how interested fest attendees are in 'tourist' type activities in the area surrounding the site of the Fest. This will help direct the planning efforts of future coordinators.

I'd also like folks to comment on whether or not you'd expect the planners to 'plan' activities for you, or if you are more likely to plan on your own. Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?
For me, the location must have a "tourist" appeal (whether it be based on history, geography, landmarks, entertainment, etc.). From there, I can pretty much figure out what my agenda will be. Thus, I don't expect planners to plan out ALL activities for me. Not everyone wants to be smelling diesel for 3 consecutive days; though I understand that it is supposed to be "mmmmm, diesel-licious...".....;)