Anyone Switch from Mobil 1 TDT to Rotella T6?

EYE2

I have been running M1 TDT in my PD for some time now and the wear rates are excellent. I have read that some people are reporting that their cars are noticeably quieter at idle with the Rotella T6. Just wondering if anyone has made the switch, and if you noticed less clatter. In addition, I am also interested in the wear rates with this new formulation.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I'm interested as well. I just picked up the T6 after running total/elf 5w30 for the last 50k. Local NAPA carries Rotella, not TDT so the decision was easier. First use will be in a couple weeks when it hits 130k.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
So why switch? If anything, run a longer than 10,000 miles OCI?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296388

However, Shell Rotella T6 does throw down good numbers.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215098

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205814

How it actually performs, @ 20,000/25,000/30,000 miles is still a tad uncharted. (aka we need test mules to post their UOA results) Actually very few people (T6 users) trust it beyond 10,000 miles. This might be the first clue?

Downstream, (aka of lower priority) 20,000 miles OCI (round number for illustrative purposes) Mobil One 5w40 costs .0014812 cents per mile lubricated

($21./4qt (1 gal container @ WalMart) * 4.5 qt + 6. filter= 29.63) .

It also uses app half the resources for the same miles driven, etc. It is also gentler than your already gentle wear rates (if you are doing a 10,000 miles OCI)

Last edited:

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
So why switch? If anything, run a longer than 10,000 miles OCI?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296388

However T6 does throw down good numbers. How it actually performs @ 20,000 to 25,000 to 30,000 miles is still a tad uncharted.

Downstream, (aka of lower priority) 20,000 miles OCI (round number for illustrative purposes) Mobil One 5w40 costs .0014812 cents per mile lubricated

($21./4qt (1 gal container @ WalMart) * 4.5 qt + 6. filter= 29.63) .

It also uses app half the resources for the same miles driven, etc. It is also gentler than your already gentle wear rates (if you are doing a 10,000 miles OCI)

Actually 0.1482 cents per mile ($0.00148 per mile). Just my $0.02. :)

But I agree, why switch if getting good results unless you can't get M1 5w40 anywhere.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Well, I just read it off the calculator ($29.63/20,000 miles=). It would seem there are a lot of folks that have trouble visualizing numbers/ digits to the right of 1 cent.

I actually just ran a 30,700 miles OCI. So really it gets even better ! (29.63/30,700)

.0009651. per mile driven. (35% cheaper) Got to love it (even more)

Last edited:

EYE2

I'm not really concerned with the cost. I am more interested in the wear rates, and whether or not the engine is actually quieter with T6.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Wear rate / protection will be the same across the board with any of the CJ-4 5w40 oils, in our application.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did the msg#3 link answer your first question ? Engines being quieter due to the various oils or not is/can be a perceptual and/or priority issues. Unless it was bad or a deep seated issue, I would not switch solely on that variable. For me, the EXTREMELY low cost per mile driven really drives Mobil One 5w40 TDT into the category of , what is not to LIKE !!??

Last edited:

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
T6 will be quieter than TDT.
Wow... that seems to be a strong statement. The only logical explanation I can think of would be reduced metal to metal contact. I suspect that we are looking at two very good oils. I am currently using TDT in my PD with excellent results by uoa. What is this statement based on?

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Different oils transmit sound in different ways. This doesn't tell you how well its protecting.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
T6 vs others

Shell Rotella T6 said:
UNSURPASSED SHEAR STABILITY
Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides unsurpassed protection against shear-stability degradation, compared to the leading competitive API CJ-4 5W-40 products. An extremely shear-stable product helps maintain consistent viscosity and oil pressure in the engine.

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
well if i could get Mobil 1 tdt in my area i would use it. i use mobil 1 in my race car and like it.

but i can't get tdt around me soo i run rotella t6. soo far i like it. and i was on the 10k oci. but i will be going to a 20k oci. but i am swaping the filter at 10k. then at 20k oil and filter change. but i will add that i add about 3 quarts or soo with-in 10k. its alittle oil leaks and some turbo seal leaks. gotta get off my butt and fix those one day.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
White95v6, if you are going to go past the 10K interval, you need UOA data to see if it's do-able. No filter change is needed either.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I first ran T6 when I got my car but then switched to M1 TDT, I don't really notice a change in noise. I switched just because it seems TDT is more widely used and thus more I was able to read about solid results using it in a PD.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Also a factor is that locally TDT is harder to find and more expensive. Shell T6 is virtually everywhere.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
I tried M1 TDT for the first time with the Jetta -

The one thing that is most remarkable to me is I now get a longer and louder cold start clatter - this kind of annoys me....

Also, I paid quite a bit more for the Mobil1 - once I have my stock used up all my diesels will be using the T6.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I tried M1 TDT for the first time with the Jetta -

The one thing that is most remarkable to me is I now get a longer and louder cold start clatter - this kind of annoys me....

Also, I paid quite a bit more for the Mobil1 - once I have my stock used up all my diesels will be using the T6.
What were you using before?

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Wow... that seems to be a strong statement. The only logical explanation I can think of would be reduced metal to metal contact. I suspect that we are looking at two very good oils. I am currently using TDT in my PD with excellent results by uoa. What is this statement based on?

sawdust makes it run quieter.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I used to run T6 exclusively, but now run Mobil-1 TDT. The UOA numbers were slightly lower with the TDT but it sounds and acts exactly the same. I'll post the UOA if anyone is interested.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Lubro-Moly 5W40.

I used to buy it online from one of our vendors until I found that the T6 is great for our engines and can buy it locally (no shipping).
This does not suprise me. You went from a thin 5w40 (Euro 5w40) to a fairly thick 5w40 (TDT). T6 is much closer to spec 5w40, even being an API oil like TDT.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
well if i could get Mobil 1 tdt in my area i would use it. (snip)
__. I've never been in an "O'Reilly's" that didn't have it. I have bought TDT at O'Reilly's in Kentucky and Alabama* so I'm gonna guess that it would be available in south central Tennessee. Next time you're near an O'Reilly's, give them a try.

(*in addition to NC)

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
This does not suprise me. You went from a thin 5w40 (Euro 5w40) to a fairly thick 5w40 (TDT). T6 is much closer to spec 5w40, even being an API oil like TDT.
Thanks for that info - I didn't realize this, but now it makes perfect sense to me.

I will admit, after 2-3 days with the Mobil1 TDT, I was so concerned that I thought that my oil filter was possibly installed wrong, allowing the oil to drain from the canister and causing the extended cold rattle. No change after installing a new filter.

I know it's probably more of a "feel good" thing, and my cold start clatter shouldn't be too detrimental, but I will be switching back to T6 next time.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Whats the 100c viscosity for tdt compared to t6? Is either noticeably thicker?

I know I could search, but I'm lazy today...

keefus

TDI
13 Passat TDI SE DSG, 05 Jetta TDI Sedan 5 sp, 05 Jetta TDI Wagon 5 sp
Switching away from 505.01 in a PD

I have 2 '05 Jetta TDI's, and have been running Lubro-Moly High Tech Diesel Oil in them exclusively. Both cars are way past warranty.

I'd like to switch to something cheaper, and locally available, but concerned about long-term cam wear (both cams look fine today, no obvious wear issues).

Rotella T6 and Mobil One TDT are both available locally, and are MUCH cheaper than Lubro-Moly, especially with shipping charges for a 5 liter jug.

I used to run Rotella T6 in all my turbo gasoline Volvos (two 940 turbos, an S80 T6, and a 2001 Cross Country) with excellent results. I also see T6 seems to be the oil of choice at the oil change places they have at the big truck stops (seems like most big rigs are Volvos these days).

Will I be losing much in wear protection versus the Lubro-Moly in my 2 PD engines? I figure the cams will need replacement around 200K miles anyway.

Thanks in advance! - keefus